What's new

In-Dash Navigation Suggestions (1 Viewer)

Neil McCaulley

Stunt Coordinator
Hello All!

I am considering the purchase of a 2002, 2-door Honda Accord Coupe or a 2003, 2-door Honda Accord Coupe. In order to save money, I am considering the purchase of an after-market DVD flip-screen navigation system, instead of paying the extra high-cost of a factory-installed system.

Can someone out there suggest a system that is compatible with the cars I mentioned, and also how much it would cost including installation.

Thanks!

David.G

Stunt Coordinator
look into a Eclipse AVN2454, is expensive but probably the better NAV HU out there.

KenWong

Stunt Coordinator
Though Eclipse is very nice... probably the best out there, but it cost a lot!!! I suggest the Pioneer Avic-N1... it's the only one out there that comes ready with GPS and all that good stuff, all the other companies such as Kenwood, would require you to add on the Navigation, which out weighs the cost of the Pioneer one. The only thing I don't really like are the controls.. kinda messy. If you want to go the really cheap route to get Navigation, go on ebay, and do a search for "autopc." Basically, Clarion made an unit, with a pretty small lcd that has a pretty good navigation with it. I used it and thought it was great for the price, then again, you may differ.

Ron-Ellis

Auditioning
I am currently having a Alpine DVD and navigation unit installed (should be ready this week). If you are interested let me know and I will tell you how it works. I was told the Alpine units are the ones that are used by Acura for their factory install units.
Ron

Neil McCaulley

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Ron,

Yes, I am interested to hear how it works. Please post your impressions when you get your vehicle back. By the way, what kind of vehicle are you installing it in and what is the size of the screen on the unit? The one I want to get will have at least a 6" screen. I am not interested in those tiny little Gramlin ones.

Neil McCaulley

Stunt Coordinator
David G.,

Regarding the Alpine, where can I find a list of vehicles that can accommodate this particular unit? Also, I have heard horror stories about how the DVD Movie capabilities of a Nav system are automatically switched OFF when the vehicle is in a forward gear. Is this true? I hope not because it defeats the whole purpose of having DVD Movie Playback Ability - to play a DVD while you are driving to make the trip seem shorter!

Neil McCaulley

Stunt Coordinator
Does anybody have an idea of how much it costs to get one of these After-Market units professionally installed in your vehicle so it looks like the car came with the unit? I guess the only way the savings of purchasing one would make sense is if the unit and the installation costs LESS than a unit that is a manufacturer option in a vehicle.

Ron-Ellis

Auditioning
Neil,
I am installing the Alpine dvd with a 7" screen in a Acura RSX type S. I am hoping the car is ready in the next couple of days. We are doing a custom install with carbon fiber pieces being fabricated. The Alpine dvd player has had the 7" screen permanently removed from the deck and flush mounted into the stock radio location. The deck is now mounted in a custom pod below where the deck was originally mounted and we also made a custom center channel pod for the dash. I am also integrating the Alpine Navigation (I300) into the system. Can't wait for this to be finished.
Ron

Tim Dogg

Agent
Your best bet is the Pioneer Avic-N1 if your shopping for price for a hands down bad azz unit.If you seached you can probably pick one up for around $1500.00 brand new and pay like $300 to get it installed and your all set.Try to come close in price range with Alpine,Kenwood or Eclipse with a fold out touch screen dvd/navigation.Youll be paying at least another 5 to 700 bucks.The Pioneer is voice activated to.Its a no brainer if your shopping for price.

I have the kenwood KVT-915dvd and the nav4100 and I like it a lot but would also be happy with the Pioneer also. E mail me if you have any questions I sell and install these units every day.

Neil McCaulley

Stunt Coordinator
Tim,

I viewed the Pioneer online like you said. It does look very nice. I have another question. I am also looking at a 2001 Lexus ES300. I have noticed that there is a space above the Radio and CD player in the dash. Would this unit take the place of the clock, or would I have to sacrifice the stereo/CD player space for the Nav? I know I could live without the dash clock (besides I am sure that the Nav has a clock on it anyway) but I do not want to give up my radio just for the Nav.

Also, can you email me some before and after photos of installations that you have done in LUXURY sedans, including the 2003-2005 Honda Accord Sedan if you did any.

Thanks!

Ron-Ellis

Auditioning
Got the Alpine nav and DVD installed. There are 2 negatives to the Alpine NAV. The first is you can only go into the menu when the car is stopped and the emergency brake is on (I wish I new how to bypass that as the factory unit let you do everything on the move). The second negative is the nav will operate only with the remote and is not controllable through the touch screen (I was told the new model coming out in January will interface better and is touch screen controlable). The sound quality far exceeds the factory Bose system (in my opinion), but I have considerably more invested in the system. This system was about $7000. I still am waiting for one piece to be fabricated (all custom pieces are fabricated from carbon fiber) and a custom rack for my amps. This setup has Dolby digital and DTS 5.1 audio with Precision Power amps and JL Audio speakers. The rest of the Electronics are Alpine.

Tim Dogg

Agent
Pac makes a video bypass for alpine that bypasses the need for using the e brake in order to get video and nav to come up.This will enable you to use all the nav options and let your passenger watch video while driving.I put one in a few weeks ago and they work great.Sure beats using 2 toggle switches like we used to have to do in the past.

The part is called TR-7 and you can find it on www.pac-audio.com

Now having it installed is a different question.For me and most installers its easy,but for yourself probably not.I take it your shop wont install it since they already hooked up the e brake.I would almost demand they put it in spending 7 thousand with them but they still may not.You may have to find a shop that will install it for you.

What fun is haveing a video screen if you can only have it on while your parked.I beleive like cell phones its the drivers responsability to pay attention to what they are doing.If anyone can watch a movie while driving your a better man than me.I have the video bypassed on my kenwood and sometimes on a trip my girlfriend will watch something and i still enjoy listening to the movie but i dont think i can watch it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks