What's new

IN A BOX VS use what I already have - that is the question! Thanks in advance (1 Viewer)

don1957

Auditioning
Real Name
Don Rich
This is my first post and I hope someone or many out there will give me their opinions! My wife wants to create a Home Theatre in a room that measures about 20 feet X 20 Feet! I have been looking at all the in a box stuff - KEF, Bose, and the like and its very expensive! This leads me to my question. I currently have a pair of Bose 701's and a pair of Polk Audio Monitor 70 Speakers. Both nice sounding speakers on their own. I also have a BIC Venturi V1220 200 watt down firing Subwoofer. Does it make sense for me to buy a speaker system in a box or should I just purchase a center speaker and use the speakers I already have. I also want to upgrade my Audio receiver to support a 5.1 system and could use some advice here also! Of course I really do not want to spend money on a new system but I have no clue if my current speakers will work and sound good also! Thank you in advance for any input you may have! As you can see I am nearly a novice when it comes to surround sound and Home Theatre! Don

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I would use the 701 as surrounds. Buy the Polk CS1/10 or CS2/20(based on where you have to out it. The 2 and 20 are bigger than the 1 and 10). What AVR to buy is determined by "budget" and what you want in an AVR... Networking/ipod/droid support? 2nd zone? Have anything "non-HDMI"(VCR/Wii/LD...)?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I would use the 701 as surrounds. Buy the Polk CS1/10 or CS2/20(based on where you have to out it. The 2 and 20 are bigger than the 1 and 10). What AVR to buy is determined by "budget" and what you want in an AVR... Networking/ipod/droid support? 2nd zone? Have anything "non-HDMI"(VCR/Wii/LD...)?

don1957

Auditioning
Real Name
Don Rich
Thanks Sam! So you think these speakers will do a good job and sound good also! I have been looking at the CS2/20 and have heard great things about them! Receiver! I want something powerful enough to drive the speakers which I believe are rated at 200 watts each! 3D pass through, 5.1 and IPOD/iphone support! $600 and under!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Wattage ratings are meaningless. IF you run much more than 20watts into the Monitor 70...you'll go deaf. I would stick with the "multi-crossover" AVR. Pretty much anything NOT Yamaha and Pioneer/Elite. As long as you buy an AVR WITH room EQ(Audyssey, EZSet)...you'll get multi-crossover. http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-1913-Networking-Receiver-Capability/dp/B007R8U5R6/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1359317280&sr=1-1&keywords=denon+avr-1913 I would mention Onkyo, but they don't do Airplay. Onkyo instead chooses to use a digital capable USB to bypass the internal DAC in Apple products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks