Impressions of HSU Turbocharger

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by jwill242004, Jan 5, 2007.

1. jwill242004

jwill242004 Stunt Coordinator

2. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Hi Jason

I tried your link, not quite correct, please fix so others can see what we have going for us.

3. jwill242004

jwill242004 Stunt Coordinator

its working for me, i dont know whats wrong with it. try it again. If it doesnt work go into the forum on the HSU site and check it out

4. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

Not working for me either....

5. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

Looking at the graphs that were added into the thread later....personally I don't think I'd mess whith the 'turbo'. Looks like it makes the response curve slightly less smooth.

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    They have been working on their site, so there may be issues accessing it off and on. I couldn't see it earlier, but can now.

7. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Jason

The link works now...I left a message for you in your Turbo thread at the HSU Forum.

8. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Hi Jason

I know what you mean about wanting more of the slightly higher frequency bass rather than the

9. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

When I bought an SVS 25-31PC I found that I was happy with extension down to "only" 25Hz. But because of all the flap I see on the net about getting the last octave I've upgraded to subs with more extension - first a DIY sonosub tuned to 21.5Hz, now an IB sub that's flat to below 20Hz. What I've found along the way is that the 25-31 gave me plenty of extension to begin with. With the IB I've gained more SPL (mostly bragging rights) and a stealthy sub install. But the SVS sounded darn fine to begin with.

I've often wondered how much of the "max extension" argument comes from people with actual experience with different sub tunings. That thread on the HSUresearch forum is a good example of this. I think the most significant comment comes from the guy who made the graphs with and without the turbo:

"If I didn't recalibrate I had a 3dB difference between with and without turbo."

3dB!!! That's huge! How many turbo users realize they're sacrificing 3dB of headroom across most of the range? I'm sure its fine if you're in a smaller room or have multiple subs.