What's new

Important to all of us. Please read and ACT!!! (1 Viewer)

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
I havent been in blockbuster since before DVD came out, but its still a problem which needs to be fixed. I mentioned to a guy i work that i saw Jp3 yesterday and how it had a excellent soundtrack. He said he rented JP3 yesterday from Blockbusters and he didnt realize he got a Full Screen Copy. He went back and they didnt have any widescreens at all.

Capt

And down here in Australia, if a dvd comes out in widescreen it comes out ONLY in widescreen - we don't have dual 16:9 / P&S versions. And widescreen is the norm, not the exception. Oh, there've been a few slipups along the way (Wog Boy, anyone?) but as a whole, R4 down under is widescreen all the way.

John Fleming

Stunt Coordinator
We *really* need to send this message loud and clear to Blockbuster...with that said, I've done (some of) my part by signing the petition - snail mail, email, and a phone call to follow soon.

John

richard plumb

Stunt Coordinator
I also politely explained that I know a bit about the way things work and that a store down the street rents the widescreen version (true) so their story about the studios only allowing the p&s to be rented doesn't hold water.
But is this necessarily true?

Perhaps because Blockbuster is a large chain, it has to follow the rules and can only rent out 'rental priced' discs? Whereas small stores can get away with buying in retail discs and renting them out.

Is it possible that Blockbuster are simply following the rules here? Do they only rent out legit rental priced content, and is there anyway to find out if the studios are releasing only the 4:3 versions at rental prices?

Jeff

Supporting Actor
I've said this before and I'll say it again. You guys are going after the wrong corperation. It's Universal and Warner you need to target for releasing seperate P&S versions. As long as this happens, large chains will always pander to the Joe Six-Pack crowd! That's where the money is!
Here's one of my threads on this:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ighlight=video
Jeff

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Signed; #2510.

We need to go after the Retailers AND the Studios, guy.

There's no way in hell Universal, WB, or any other studio is going to tell someone like Blockbuster, "Uh, no...you can't buy those WS versions from us. We won't sell them to you." Does that sound realistic? Why?

Nope; BBV can pass the buck all they want to, but the responsibility to please their customers is their own. Period.

Butch C

Second Unit
Free market society fellas...free market society. The same economic system that allows the US to be the world leader in the entertainment industry also dictates the stocking of Blockbusters shelves (except mine...mostly WS). And think about this...HT enthusiasts buy DVD's of movies they SLIGHTLY enjoy. They buy widescreen. J6P rents most movies and only buys what he/she loves. They want to see P&S.

ECONOMICS 101 QUESTION OF THE DAY:

What would you stock on your shelves for

a. rental

b. sales

In addition HT people will read the box, see P&S and walk away...J6P doesnt know what to look for and complains loudly when he gets a letterboxed disk.

LOW PAID STORE MANAGER QUESTION OF THE DAY:

Who would you cater to?

The HT enthusiast who while not renting because of P&S costs the company money none of which comes out of your check or the loud complainer who will make your life miserable for $7 p/hr

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Blockbuster can carry the pan and scan, family edited G-rated versions on VHS only for all I care, I quit going there a LONG time ago!
That is good but it may not be good enough. We also need to let them know how we feel or else, their practices may start really hurting us elsewhere too. We have to squash this cocroach before it becomes a monster.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
These are good ideas, but don't waste your time emailing Blockbuster. They clearly have an automated response system in effect and I very much doubt that anyone ever looks at the emails.

Use snail mail. It is much harder to ignore. Better yet, use the telephone so you know you have a human on the other end of the line.

Kurt B

Stunt Coordinator
I also have called and written a 'snail mail' letter. Seeing the auto response everyone else has received made me decide not to email them. I still personally believe that snail mail has more effect than email. Someone actually sees the volume instead of a screen full of mail messages.

~Kurt

Kurt N

Stunt Coordinator
Petition signed. Perhaps, in addition to phone calls, we should go into the store, pick up a title they only stock in fullscreen, get to the counter, and then "discover" the mistake, making sure the manager (or highest-ranking employee there) hears you. I would assume the manager's pay is at least partially determined be their $$$ volume. Perhaps if the manager actually sees a couple cents disappearing out of his check REPEATEDLY, he'll tell his superiors that he wants some widescreen copies in there.

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
I used to work at Blockbuster as an assistant manager. The upper management people swear by their market research. They are going to be pretty hard to sway. Personally, they don't get my business. I go to Hollywood Video or Laserland (a local LD and DVD retailer here in NY).

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
ive added the Petition logo to my homepage, and also signed the petition. I also emailed the people here at HTF hoping that they will display the image at the top of the HTF main page.

-Jas

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks