What's new

Impedance help! Desperate for ideas (1 Viewer)

Hey gang,

I just bought a house that included a very nice Home Theater set-up in the basement with a built-in big-screen and 5 in-wall Sonance speakers. I'm re-racking and re-wiring my own components and will be using the Onkyo TX-SR701 as my HT receiver. Problem is this: The 701 says not to use any speakers with an impedance rating of less than 6 ohms, as it may "harm the unit", but I have NO IDEA if the built-in Sonance speakers in my HT are rated below 6 ohms. There are no serial or model numbers on the back of the speakers that I can find, and they don't seem to want to come out of the walls for easy replacement, so I'm afraid to hook up my Onkyo until I know more about these speakers.

The HT was built around '96, I don't know if that helps. There are two wiring covers in each unit, one marked "5W2J" and "10W20J". Are those 10 and 200 watt references of some kind? What should I do?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm a speaker moron. If these things would come out of the wall easily I'd just replace the suckers.

Thanks!!

Clay D. Major
Tekamah, Nebraska

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Have you tried going to their website and looking to see if one of your speakers matches their current offerings? I looked through them all and most are 8 ohm speakers, some are 6, there are no 4 ohm. I think it would be safe to say yours are 6 or 8 ohm based on all their products and should have no problem with your receiver powering them.

Thanks for the quick reply, WayneO. And yeah, that was the first thing I did. Without being able to remove the grilles (they're on there so tight there's not even a seam between them and the wall) I can't really compare the configuration to those models on the website but I'm assuming my Sonances are several generations behind what's available today.

Are in-wall speakers of a certain size rare at below 6 ohms? What possible damage could it do to my HT receiver if I plug them in and it turns out they're sub-6?

Frustrated!! :)

-cdm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks