What's new

3D IMAX 3D Blu-rays, are they cropped? (1 Viewer)

I understand the apsect ratio of IMAX films to be 1.44:1, but the Blu-rays are all 1.78:1. So have these films all been cropped for Blu-ray? And if so why is there no outrage, like there was for non-OAR releases on DVD? I'm hoping there is logical explanation for this.

ijthompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jordan
I believe that it is the IMAX presentations themselves that are cropped to fit the IMAX format. So, the 1.78:1 aspect you get on blu is actually the real deal. This has the added advantage of the IMAX portions of a film (in such films that have two formats, like Tron Legacy) not being pillarboxed when viewed on blu. Could be wrong though, but that's my understanding.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
It goes two ways. Jordan is referring to the conversion of "theatrical" films to play in IMAX theaters. Robert is referring to taking IMAX films (I think its 1.34x1) and essentially cropping them for 16x9 viewing.

Interesting question. I'm not sure why. Its possible that since they are documentaries that they were filmed with 4x3 and 16x9 in mind, showing the IMAX as essentially open matte, but that would be a big assumption to make.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
I know IMAX has "rules" for framing due to the enormous size of the projected image and layout of the "real" IMAX theaters. For example, it's suggested that cinematographers shooting IMAX frame with a lot of head-room at the top of the frame, so there would tend to be a lot of dead space up top*. This would allow for reframing easily to a 1.78:1 aspect ratio. Vincent * This is discussed in the American Cinematographer piece on the filming of THE DARK KNIGHT- specifically, Wally Pfister talks about how he broke this "rule" when shooting the IMAX portions.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Don't the "fake" (digital not 70mm) IMAX theatres have screens with a 2:1 aspect ratio? I know that's the aspect ratio of the screen at the IMAX theatre in Manchester, CT. So, when they show a movie filmed in IMAX they are cropping even more than the Blu-ray.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Vincent_P said:
I know IMAX has "rules" for framing due to the enormous size of the projected image and layout of the "real" IMAX theaters. For example, it's suggested that cinematographers shooting IMAX frame with a lot of head-room at the top of the frame, so there would tend to be a lot of dead space up top*. This would allow for reframing easily to a 1.78:1 aspect ratio. Vincent * This is discussed in the American Cinematographer piece on the filming of THE DARK KNIGHT- specifically, Wally Pfister talks about how he broke this "rule" when shooting the IMAX portions.
The Dark Knight scenes filmed in IMAX would need a lot of head-room as was'nt it shown 2.:35:1 at non-IMAX theatres?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks