Imaging...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Holadem, Oct 25, 2001.

1. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

I think this is the second thread I posted with this very same title [​IMG]
    Would you please recommend a good cd to test imaging? I listen to a wide variety of stuff, tho right now I am into classic rock.
    I am looking for a recording where if my speakers are positioned correctly, imaging should be obvious.
    --
    Holadem

2. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Eric Clapton's "Unplugged". Soundstage and imaging are great, lots of width and depth.
    [Edited last by Saurav on October 25, 2001 at 03:04 PM]

3. Mike Knapp

Mike Knapp Supporting Actor

Mike
    The following are all reference quality recordings with beautiful soundstages and exquisite instrument reproduction.
    Dixie Chicks....Wide Open Spaces.
    B-52's....Cosmic Thing
    Holly Cole....Temptation
    DaBoa....From the Geko
    Ian Anderson.....Divinities
    Enjoy
    Mike

4. Darren H

Darren H Second Unit

Here's a strange suggestion, but it's always the first disc in the player when I buy new hardware.
    Tears for Fears - Raoul and the Kings of Spain
    The song, "Sketches of Pain," has the widest 2-channel soundstage I've ever heard.

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Peter Gabriel's "Sercret World Live" has fantastic imaging. At least the LD does - I assume the CD is very similar.
    ------------------
    Philip Hamm
    AIM: PhilBiker

6. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Excellent thread! I was just about to start something similar myself.
    We could even expand this a bit...to include songs you use you test "tightness" of bass...the one I use is "Jay Z - Can I Get A...".
    Also...for those songs listed to "test" imaging...what should we be looking for? In other words, where should the instruments be placed in the soundstage while the song is played? Thanks.

7. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Roger Waters' Amused To Death has amazing imaging effects.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

8. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
  9. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

10. George Martin

George Martin Stunt Coordinator

you might also try to locate an officail USAC, or IASCA disc
    They both have excelent recordings but the also supply a map of the sound stage to help you make sure that the imaging, placement and depth are correct.

11. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

Here's another way to look at imaging. If the two main speakers are in perfect phase and have identical acoustic response, then the frequency, phase and amplitude differences between the two sources we sense to derive the positioning of sounds comes from actual things in the recording rather than those induced by the room and speakers. Fine and well you say. It is useful if you do the following.
    Take the AVIA left and right speaker phase test signal. This puts identical bandpassed signals out the left and right speakers. Identical that is except for the phase getting periodically flipped 180 degrees. If you measure the degree with which those two sounds reinforce and cancel each other you get what amounts to a summary of how well phase, amplitued, and frequency information in the bandpass of the test signal are matched. If acoustics and speakers are identical you get maximal difference in measured SPL between the in and out of phase times of the test. This is easy to see with an analog SPL meter set to fast response. Positioned at the acoustic equidistant plane, the SPL meter needle will swing up and down. The bigger the swing the better the acoustics are matched between the channels. Better matching means that the differences in recordings are better heard and you get crisper more focused imaging.
    ------------------
    Guy Kuo
    www.ovationsw.com
    Ovation Software, the Home of AVIA DVD

12. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

Check out Stevie Wonder's Original Musicquarium.
    I accidentally swapped R & L channels on this CD and all the musicians sounded upside-down! [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Jim_F on October 27, 2001 at 05:07 AM]

13. Jon_R

Jon_R Stunt Coordinator

I believe the best you can do is beat your reference. As all opinions are based on one reference point or another. That being said, always use the same cd. You can obviously listen to other cds, but make sure you always get your main cd in there somewhere.
    For me I listen to the song, "Everybody Hurts" by REM. I've listened to it on my system, on lower systems, on Martin Logans powered by Krell amps. Obviously my system now sounds like mush, since I know what it could sound like.
    The point is, get intimately familiar with a song or cd. Make sure you know when every little sound is coming, anticipate it when listening to the music. On a system that is better than your home system, in whatever way, its quite possible new sounds may jump out, maybe the vocals will sound different or whatever. This may be an audiophile technique, it may not be, I don't really know. I just know what works for me and what I think has pointed out differences between setups.
    Good luck,
    Jon

14. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

15. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

What do you guys think about some Dave Matthews songs in terms of imaging? Specifically, some of those on the "Crash" album.

16. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Saurav

17. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

18. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

19. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i created my own "test cd" of songs that i'm either very familiar with or songs that (imo) had great dynamic range, strong vocals, acoustics, deep bass, etc.
    i also tried to choose a variety of different song genre's...such as classic rock, techno, acoustic, ambient, jazz, etc. i believe some speakers sound better with some types of music.
    my cd includes everything from alice in chains, to basia, to the beatles, to the crystal method, depeche mode, the rolling stones, sting and sara mclachlan.
    ------------------
    "The ship of death has a new captain." - nosferatu (1922)

20. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

My reference CD would be Loreena McKennitt, 'the book of secrets'. Any 2-channel tweak checks are compared to this recording. It has "plenty" to listen for.
    Phil,
    I have been listening to Secret World Live quite a bit lately (big P Gabriel fan) and the CD just doesn't do it for me as a live album. I suspect your LD tops the CD.
    BOK