What's new

Image slopes (slightly) (1 Viewer)

John Watson

Screenwriter
For years I noticed on a 4:3 set that the DVD image for less-than-full screen movies, sloped slightly from left to right, at least along the top edge. The decline amounts to almost 1/2" on the 27" set

I always wondered if might have been the TV tube of that particular Sony 27" set itself.

But now I'm seeing the same thing on a smaller TV set, so wonder if there is any generic explanation for this phenom.

Hope I'm not in the wrong room, or asking a question that's been asked many times before. :)

TIA!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Could be gravitational forces in your particular area. Some TVs have a tilt correction control to combat this phenomenon. A standard 4:3 set probably will not have this control in the menu, but it might in the service menu.

John Watson

Screenwriter
Wow, I feel like its an X Files phenomenon. Has anyone else ever seen this?

The 27" set performed the same way before I moved a 1000 miles eastward, so maybe geography is not the only factor.

Because of the eye-level factor in the room, I can't be sure, but it does seem that I don't notice that the lower edge of the image is parallel with the top edge. In fact, it doesn't seem to slope. And being an old TV, it's not flatscreen, which may have a bearing on what I see.

Thanks for the suggestion tho Greg.

I do tend to be finicky, I notice when pictures on the all are not hanging right too.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I have heard of this. Greg is right: there is a tilt control on some (most? all?) 16:9 TVs. You adjust the same way you adjust the volume - with a control bar. Older TVs won't have it in the user controls, but it might be in the engineer's menu.

Paul_Nyman

Second Unit
John,

What model Sony do you have and how old is it?

Our tv is five years old, Sony 27inch WEGA had this happen after a cross country move, and it can be corrected using TILT control in tv menu.

John Watson

Screenwriter
Paul, its about 7 or so years old, not a wega, the manual and remote and the onscreen menus are lousy, but we'll take a look for 'Tilt'. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks