What's new

Image problems with digital sources (1 Viewer)

ToddP

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Pioneer Elite RPTV (53" model, can't remember number). I have recently started experiencing image problems when I view material from digital sources (HDTV and DVD). What I'm seeing are some horizontal lines running across the screen at random intervals, and they move up and down. They aren't always there, but they aren't rare either. Obviously I don't want to see them at all. Has anyone else experienced a problem like this? Any suggestions? The unit is only 2 years old, and obviously cost a bundle. Needless to say, I'm not too happy.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Horizontal lines are almost always a ground loop and/or general interference problems.

Possible fixes:

Better component cables
Making sure grounds are correct especialy cable tv and/or your ota antenna.
Making sure the ground of all relative components are the same ground.

These things can be a real nightmare to isolate down. One time I even had a water softener device cause it, which really upset me, because once I figured it out, the customer decided to live with it and I had put a ton of time into figuring it out becasue when it was percieved as my issue it was totally unacceptable, but once they found out it was the water softener then they could live with it.

I should of sent them a bill, but I didn't.

UUUHHHGGGGG

ToddP

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, well I know it's not the cables, because I'm using decent ones, and I've tried different ones to no avail. How would I go about checking the ground? I have HD running through my dish and 2 OTA antennas that are connected. These both hook up with my HD Tivo receiver. Obviously my DVD player is a separate component. Clearly I don't know as much as I would like. :b

John S

Senior HTF Member
Hint: Suspect the dish. I have seen a very high percentage where the coax that comes into the house is not grounded properly. It is the bane(sp?) of my existance where cable and dish installers are concerned.

People have had success with changing local grounding, making sure all components are grounded to the same point, you have to be creative to achieve this.

The other option which works sometimes, is actually lifting grounds and is not reccomended, but these days I am firmly in the camp of whatever works to get rid of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks