Image Press Release: Time Bandits (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    [​IMG] “…regarded as one of the saviours of British film in the late 70s and 80s.” ---news.bbc.co.uk IMAGE ENTERTAINMENT ANNOUNCES THE PREMIERE OF FOUR ACCLAIMED TITLES FROM HANDMADE FILMS ON BLU-RAY “Time Bandits,” “Long Good Friday,” “Mona Lisa,” and “Withnail and I” remastered for HD premiere! Chatsworth, CA – Once upon a time, in the far-away time of the late 1970s, two legends – one musical, one comic – bumped into each other on the street and in doing so, created history. When Eric Idle of Monty Python’s comedy troupe ran into his friend, ex-Beatle George Harrison, and lamented that his film had lost financing, he didn’t expect that Harrison would end up being the man to step in and pick up the reigns. But that’s exactly what happened. As Harrison later remarked to a grateful Idle, “When The Beatles were breaking up, Python kept me sane, really, so I owe you one." Thus HandMade Films was born. Harrison’s business manager, Denis O’Brien, was drafted to oversee the finances of the new cinematic concern; Harrison came up with the “manual” company name and “Python” alum Director Terry Gilliam sketched out the now-ubiquitous logo on a napkin. History was officially underway, a history comprised of an incomparable body of work that would become the artistic backbone of the British film industry in the 1980s. On August 24, Image Entertainment celebrates HandMade’s three-decade heritage with the Blu-ray™ debut of four HandMade Films classics: The Long Good Friday, Time Bandits, Mona Lisa and Withnail and I. These are examples of British drama and humor at their finest: illuminating the human condition with sympathy, intelligence…and time travel! Fully remastered, all-new 1080p high-definition transfers have been created for the HD debut of these incomparable titles, and they will be available for an SRP of $17.97 each. In addition, the titles are also available via digital download exclusively on iTunes starting July 20th. Pre-book is July 27. These classics from the HandMade Films library are ground-breaking and heart-breaking, candid and clever. The surprisingly compassionate portraits of the underworld in The Long Good Friday and the Oscar-nominated Mona Lisa, the eccentric fantasy of Time Bandits, the cynicism and black comedy of Withnail and I…each title is a prime example of the how filmgoers trusted the HandMade Films label for unrestrained creativity and brilliant storytelling. Featuring stars such as Bob Hoskins, Helen Mirren, Robbie Coltrane, Michael Caine and more, they sparkle with talent and flair. And, newly remastered on Blu-ray, with lossless DTS-HD Master Audio, these classics shine with a clarity never seen before! Time Bandits (1981) Young Kevin’s daydreams come to life when a band of time-traveling little men crash through his bedroom wardrobe and carry him off on a hilarious crime spree – weaving through the greatest and strangest moments of history. The pint-sized plunderers filch from Napoleon (Academy Award® nominee, Ian Holm, Chariots of Fire), Robin Hood (Academy Award® nominee, John Cleese, A Fish Called Wanda) King Agamemnon (Oscar® winner Sean Connery, The Untouchables) and others – leading to a showdown with the forces of Evil…and keeping ahead of the wrath of The Supreme Being himself! Time Bandits – Blu-ray Street Date: August 24, 2010 Pre-book: July 27, 2010 Genre: Action/Adventure, Comedy, Sci-fi/Fantasy, Magic, Time Travel Languages: English Format: Aspect Ratio 1.78:1; Enhanced for 16 x 9 TVs Audio: DTS HD Master Audio 5.1 Year: 1981 SRP: $17.97 Length: 111 minutes UPC: 014381663358 Cat#: ID6633HHBD [​IMG]

2. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    This is available for preorder at Amazon for $12.49. Makes it a no brainer!

3. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I just wonder what this is going to look like. The source material for all of these Image titles wasn't spectacular on their Criterion versions.

4. Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson Second Unit

Jeff Robertson
    If it is anything like the Optimum Region B, I will be happy!

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare2/timebandits.htm

5. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Cinematographer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    The official HTF Review has been posted here.