Image Press Release: Against All Odds, Awakenings, Random Hearts, Short Circuit II (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

IMAGE ENTERTAIMENT

UNVEILS FOUR BLU-RAY PREMIERES

FROM SONY CATALOG

Against All Odds, Awakenings, Random Hearts and Short Circuit II

Comprise Initial Blu-ray Titles; More to Follow

[​IMG]

CHATSWORTH, CA – As part of the multi-year agreement with Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, Image Entertainment today announced the Blu-ray™ premiere of four catalog titles from the Sony library, with the March 22, 2011 high-definition bows of Against All Odds, Awakenings and Random Hearts, and the April 19, 2011 release of Short Circuit 2. SRP will be a consumer-friendly $17.97 per title. All the titles will feature 1080p transfers and high-resolution audio.

Against All Odds

Directed by Taylor Hackford

Terry Brogan (Jeff Bridges), a cynical ex-football star, is hired to find Jessie Wyler (Rachel Ward), the runaway mistress of a ruthless L.A. nightclub owner, Jake Wise (James Woods). According to Jake, Jessie had stabbed him and vanished with $50,000. But Terry's mission is soon forgotten when he tracks down and falls in love with the beautiful Jessie on a Mexican island. Trouble brews, however, when Jake dispatches his henchman, Hank Sully (Alex Karras), to bring the lovers back. Driven by passion for the mysterious young woman, Terry quickly finds himself trapped in a complex web of corruption, betrayal, and murder.

Bonus Feature: Theatrical Trailer.

Awakenings

Directed by Penny Marshall

Robin Williams plays Dr. Malcolm Sayer, a shy research physician who uses an experimental drug to "awaken" the catatonic victims of a rare disease. Robert DeNiro co-stars as Leonard, the first patient to receive the controversial treatment. His awakening, filled with awe and enthusiasm, proves a rebirth for Sayer, too, as the exuberant patient reveals life's simple--but unutterably sweet--pleasures to the introverted doctor.

Random Hearts

Directed by Academy Award-winner Sydney Pollack

Harrison Ford and Kristin Scott Thomas ignite the screen as an Internal Affairs sergeant and a Congresswoman who become entangled in a shocking mystery - and an unexpected romance - after their spouses are killed in a plane crash together.

Bonus Feature: Theatrical Trailer.

Short Circuit 2

Directed by Kenneth Johnson

Number Five, aka Johnny Five, that incredible, lovable robot form the smash hit Short Circuit, is back and taking the big city by storm in this action-packed comedy adventure. Upbeat Johnny's out for some "urban input," but some street hoods, a greedy banker and a gang of crooks see his naiveté as their high-tech ticket to easy street. Will Johnny survive the big bad city and its big, bad city slickers? Keep your wires crossed when you switch on this high voltage film.

About Image Entertainment:

Image Entertainment, Inc. (OTCQB: DISK) is a leading independent licensee and distributor of entertainment programming in North America, with approximately 3,200 exclusive DVD titles and approximately 340 exclusive CD titles in domestic release and more than 450 programs internationally via sublicense agreements. For many of its titles, the Company has exclusive audio and broadcast rights, as well as digital download rights to over 2,100 video programs and approximately 400 audio titles containing more than 6,000 individual tracks. The Company is headquartered in Chatsworth, California. For more information about Image Entertainment, Inc., please go to www.image-entertainment.com.

Against All Odds Blu-ray™

Genre: Action/Adventure, Drama, Mystery/Suspense, Romance, Thriller

Rating: R

Languages: English

Format: Anamorphic Widescreen (1.85:1)

Audio: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1

Year: 1984

SRP: $17.97

Street Date: March 22, 2011

Pre-Book: February 22, 2011

Length: 121 minutes

UPC: 014381699258

Cat#: ID6992SPHBD

Awakening Blu-ray™

Genre: Drama, Based on True Story, Doctors/Medicine

Rating: PG-13

Audio: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1

Year: 1990

Length: 120 minutes

UPC: 014381699456

Cat#: ID6994SPHBD

Randon Hearts Blu-ray™

Genre: Drama, Affairs, Politics, Romance

Rating: R

Audio: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.0

Year: 1999

Length: 132 minutes

UPC: 014381699357

Cat#: ID6993SPHBD

Short Circuit 2 Blu-ray™

Genre: Comedy, Family/Kids, Sci-fi/Fantasy, Robots/Androids

Rating: PG

Audio: PCM 2.0 Stereo

Year: 1988

Street Date: April 19, 2011

Pre-Book: March 22, 2011

Length: 111 minutes

UPC: 014381694253

Cat#: ID6942SPHBD

2. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    Short Circuit 2 is definitely a day one purchase for me.

3. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    Great, so Image releasing Sony catalogue titles first and foremost means they're being stripped of all previously available special features.

4. Robin9

Robin9 Cinematographer

Robin
    None of these movies interests me but I am interested in what else Image Entertainment releases from the Sony catalogue. I wonder how long it'll be for the next annpuncement.

5. Jonathan Peterson

Jonathan Peterson Second Unit

Anyone pick up Against All Odds? This is a movie I have wanted to upgrade but haven't seen any reviews. I know Universal releases can be iffy with their blu transfers.

6. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

7. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

Walter,

Let us know what you think of it.

Crawdaddy

8. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

Robert, with any luck I'll be screening this on Friday or Saturday, and I'll post my impressions.

- Walter.

9. Robert Crawford

Robert

Thanks as I'm thinking of buying this BR title.

Crawdaddy

10. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

I viewed Against All Odds on Blu-Ray earlier this evening and here are my thoughts.

The short version is that I am for the most part in agreement with the review I linked to over at DVD Beaver.

The image quality is, for the most part, very strong, with good clarity and fine color reproduction. The opening credits are probably the weakest portion of the video on this disc; but once the film exits the credits and returns to Los Angeles the clarity jumps up (a little bit). There are a few soft sequences in the film, but the majority of the film looks very nice with good detail and no evidence of haloing. A few of the night scenes exhibit moderate grain, with the daylight scenes being the strongest of the film. The bright primary colors are reproduced to fine effect, the blue of James Wood's sweater contrasted against his white trousers in his character's first scene, the red of Terry's Porsche, the bottle glass green of the waters at Cozumel, the red of Ward's swimsuit, etc.

In terms of audio, I would once again follow the lead of the review at DVD Beaver and say that the soundtrack, particularly the guitar work is especially atmospheric and does a nice job of setting the tone of the sequences in Mexico.

It was really fun to revisit this title and see the stars of this film at a much younger time in their careers ( Woods, Bridges and Ward. ). The sequences at the club are the only thing that really date the film and cry '80s, otherwise the story retains its strength. This disc is currently $13.99 at Amazon, so I would not hesitate to order this if one has any interest in the film or seeing its cast at this point in their respective careers. Out of the Past, the film upon which this is based is a noir classic and outpaces this film; but Against All Odds certainly has its charms and is enjoyable in and of itself.

- Walter.

11. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Thanks Walter as I'll order it now.

Crawdaddy

12. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

You're welcome, Robert. I'm sure you will enjoy the Blu-Ray release. Being able to see older favorites in nice High Definition releases really has reinvigorated HT for me; and while there are certainly higher profile releases - this particular release and film was very enjoyable to re-experience.

- Walter.

13. Cinescott

Cinescott Supporting Actor

Scott
    Against All Odds is a guilty pleasure for me. Not one of the most literate or well thought out scripts, but made very well regardless. The characters are interesting, the LA and Mexico locations are beautiful to look at, and the love story and chemistry between a ripped Jeff Bridges and Rachel Ward is believable.

The director, Taylor Hackford had just come off a huge hit with An Officer and a Gentleman and was riding high with success. I have the DVD version from years ago and the commentary with Jeff Bridges and James Woods is highly entertaining. For whatever reason, this movie has stuck in my mind since I saw it in the theater in the 80s.

14. GMpasqua

GMpasqua Screenwriter

Greg
    Watched "Awakenings" last night. I had seen the film in a theater back in the winter of 1990 and the print was grainy and soft - not the prettiest picture and this was when it first opened.

I wasn't expecting much from the blu-ray but I was surprised to see how nice it looked. This isn't demonstration quality - the source material will never be demonstration, but it very good, even better than I remembered from the theater. Image has done a very good job

The source material looks great when it is sharp, but sharpness changes from shot to shot, much of the film was shot with a soft focus. This was a simple dotor/paitent story so there are no special effects or epic scenes with beautiful scenery. The acting of course could not have been better - Robert DeNrio, Robin Willams (dramatic not comic where I always feel he's better) plus a great supporting cast. Penny Marshall directed