What's new

I'm worried when a movie is distributed by Columbia Tristar (1 Viewer)

kevin_asai

Stunt Coordinator
When it is for them to release the movie on DVD, CTHV is gonna release the movie in multiple edition or version. A very good example is Black Hawk Down. Am I the only one who worried about Columbia Tristar distributed a movie?

Veli-Matti Reitti

Stunt Coordinator
A very good example is Black Hawk Down. Am I the only one who worried about Columbia Tristar distributed a movie?
In this case they annonced before the release of BHD that there will be coming an SE later on so i don't quite understand your concern? I wish all studios would do the same. So to answer your question; No, i am not the least bit worried when CTHV is releasing a movie.

Mikko Rasinkangas

Stunt Coordinator
I am starting to get worried about all releases that don't have features. You start thinking that a special edition will be released later.

Columbia is really pushing it with this re-release stuff (bare bones, special edition, superbit, superbit deluxe). At least with some of their recent titles (like BHD and Panic Room) they have said pretty early on that a special edition is on it's way. But the news basically reach only people like us and the average consumer doesn't know a peep until he/she sees it on a store shelve.

With Panic Room Columbia hasn't been very clear. There have been conflicting reports about the various releases, release dates and how many releases there will be.

I wish they'd stop with this nonsense. If they want to release stuff in multiple versions, I guess that's fine since there seems to be people who don't want special features. But they should at least give a good clean answer about how many versions a movie is going to have (within 6 months or so) and give an estimate on the release date of the special edition if a bare bones version is released first.

Like some others have stated, this resembles a rental window.

William Waits

Stunt Coordinator
Am I the only one who worried about Columbia Tristar distributed a movie?
Actually, I am worried when they are set to announce a movie because they are starting to release most of their catalog wares as Pan & Scam rather than OAR. Although I am worried when I see a pending announcement, I should be thanking them, as they have actually saved me a lot of money (as well as Buena Vista as of lately with their so-called "family" releases...)

Bill

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I also am only worried about OAR

I don't mind the bare-bones then SE rate. The difference is that if I want the movie NOW, I can have it NOW at a reasonable price.

Shaun

Second Unit
Is anyone else wondering when we're even going to see a special edition of Black Hawk Down? Lately, studios have been announcing the special edition version with the bare bones version on the press release or soon after. They haven't even mentioned a special edition really. We all just kind of assume we'll get one with this kind of movie.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Shaun,

Let's just say that it is scheduled to
be released by year's end barring no
sudden surprises.

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
I'm worried about Columbia TriStar's Pan&Scan problem. One of my favorite catalog titles from this company is "I Love You To Death". I love this movie and I have been waiting to see this movie in widescreen for years, but their recent line of Pan&Scam titles scares me because they are releasing their box-office bombs as Pan&Scan only titles. "I Love You To Death" was a box-office bomb when it opened in 1990 and I have been forcing myself to watch Pan&Scan versions of it on Video and Cable. Trust me, things are falling off the screen during the film. Give me this film in WIDESCREEN, just like you gave me a widescreen version of "Mixed Nuts" and I am forever in your debt for that, but no widescreen version of "I Love You to Death", I will be very ticked off, okay?

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I'm worried about what'll happen when "Legend Of Billie Jean" is released to DVD. If this movie isn't in its OAR, I'll be furious. Letterbox for Billie Jean, CTS..."Fair Is Fair"!

Sincerely,

John "Never fear, OAR fighters...We will be invincible!" Kilduff

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
OAR is the main thing with me, but they are getting a little out of hand with their multiple releases and rereleases.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I have no comment on this issue. I just wanted to let Ron know that his new sig pic kinda scares me! ;)
It's almost as if your staring straight at ME! :)

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
Count me among those who are afraid of when Columbia/Tri-Star distributes a title, because I'm afraid it will be pan and scan! They've already released a handful of titles that I would love to have in my collection but will not buy because they are not OAR.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad someone else mention Ron's new pic. It's kinda scary, ain't it?

Besides, I miss the "film strip" motif!

Back on-topic: Be afraid, be very afraid. Here is the very latest Full-frame travesty anounced by Columbia:

The 9/24/02 DVD release of the Burt Reynolds/Dyan Cannon 1973 film Shamus.

I know it's cheesy, but I liked this film. No Sale.

At least on the same day Columbia will allow me to buy a widescreen release of the Wilder/Radner film Hanky Panky. But that's still no excuse for Shamus!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks