What's new

I'm tired of Sony (1 Viewer)

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
For me my Sony products are working too well. I have a Sony S-300 DVD player that has been running fine for 3 years without a problem. Being an early generation player it doesn't have DTS capabilities. My wife is very reluctant to allow me to purchase a new DVD player with the current one running fine.
I gave my 14 year old Sony CD player to my son and it is still working, although this player is showing signs of being at the end of its useful life.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I've had pretty good luck with sony and just about everything in my house (electronic) has their name on it.
But with any HUGE corporation you get some crap...when you sell 1000000000 of anything; .1% failure rate is still quite big
I have the TAE 9000ES preamp and just about any small company would go broke selling it for $1200!
Sony has great lossleaders if you look
sorry about your misfortune....that sucks
------------------
Why?
Why do you keep hounding me and harassing me and hounding me?
It's not like I don't have anything better to do, you know.
It's not like the Phantom Cruiser is going to wax itself.
It's not like last night's burrito stain will just up and remove itself from my cape.
I am a superhero!
A very very busy superhero! Who does...things!
Now get out of here before I tell your mother.
AND DON'T TRAMPLE MY BEGONIAS!
-Space Ghost..

Jim_F

Screenwriter
My equipment lists:
MAIN:
TV: Sony KP-53HS10, ISF calibrated, fed by Inline IN3582 component video switcher
Pre/pro: Sony TA-E9000ES (v. 2.01)
Amps: (2) Sony TA-N9000ES in 2BTL+1 mode
CD Player: Sony CDP-M555ES Mega changer
DVD/SACD: Sony DVP-S9000ES (analog direct solution TBD)
Tuner: Sony ST-SA50ES
VCR: Sony SLV-777HF
HD Receiver: RCA DTC100
Main speakers: B&W N805 w/matching stands
Center: B&W HTM2
Surrounds: B&W CWM800
Subwoofer: SVS 20-39PC
Misc: AA VGA to component transcoder, Sony RM-AV2000 remote
Cables/interconnects: assorted coat hangers and discarded piano wire
BASEMENT:
Receiver: Sony STR-DB830
TV: Sony KV-32V15
CD Carousel: Sony CDP-C445
Dual cassette: Sony TC-WR545
DVD/CD player: Sony DVP-S530D
VCR: Sony SLV-640HF
Turntable: Sony PS-LX250H
Main speakers: B&W DM-602 S2
Center: B&W LCR6 S2
Subwoofer: Klipsch KSW-12
Surrounds: JBL Pro Performers
I think the Sony stuff is decent. I've gotten excellent performance almost without exception. I think it stands up to comparable lines, with the added benefit that using mostly one brand (usually) helps the pieces to work well together via s-link and (usually) a single simple remote control.
They would have to screw up pretty badly for me to switch brands, but anything's possible, I guess.

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
Judging from the above posts I would say most of us have had mixed results using Sony products.
Sure, every company experiences glitches and failures. But I believe Yamaha, Denon and Marantz have a far better record than Sony.
These companies haven't generated the same level of frustration, which is why I recommend them to friends over Sony.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I HATE my Sony 900 MHZ phone. Sometimes doesn't show who is calling until the 4th ring or so. That is the same time that my Panasonic 1.4ghz phone/answering machine decides to answer the phone (which shows caller ID immediately). My Sony will just sit there with "***INCMOING CALL***" on it.
I had problems with my first Sony DVD player, it was the one with the 'lipsync' problem.
I have 3 Sony DVD players now. Just got the most recent one a month ago. The current one is great, and the second one was OK. I can't believe the picture quality I have in the newest one though.
My Sony DSS receiver pisses me off to no end during Band of Brothers sometimes. If I don't have a signal strength at at least 89 or 90, I get audio dropouts with the Dolby Digital. There is nothing more annoying than audio drop-out on Band of Brothers. Switching transponders before you start watching a show kinda sucks.
But my Sony KP61-V45 RPTV looks simply mahvelous, baby.

Billy Fogerty

Stunt Coordinator
Well, right now as far as dvd players go. The Panasonic RP91 is the one to have. I'm still amazed at how good this player is.

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
I have personally had some bad luck with Sony. I bought an $800 Laser Disc player from Crutchfield back in '93 that never worked right. I had it serviced twice, with no effect. Basically, though nothing was found to be wrong, the picture was lousy. Once I replaced this with a Pioneer, problem solved.
I had a Sony pro-logic receiver from Best Buy around the same time, that lasted less than two years.
One thing I will say, though. I have two Sony VCRs that have worked flawlessly for over ten years.

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
I too am tired of Sony, that's why I do not and will not buy ANY of their products in the future.
In the past 15 years every Sony product I purchased failed under normal use(I go to extreme lengths to take care of my gear)and their customer service, well, what about it?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
ChrisAG said:
quote: Sure, every company experiences glitches and failures. But I believe Yamaha, Denon and Marantz have a far better record than Sony.[/quote]
I am not outright saying that Sony makes the best gear available, however, Sony sells far more consumer electronics than does Yamaha, Denon, or Marantz. Sony is a much bigger company that sells very large volumes to all clientele (i.e., budgets), so with all the Sony gear out there, one is bound to hear far more complaints.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime
[Edited last by KeithH on October 08, 2001 at 04:18 PM]

Steve T

Stunt Coordinator
I would just like to give Sony a word of praise for the SA-WM40 subwoofer. For less than $200.00, this sub is an excellent value. For those who either do not have or do not want to spend alot of money on a sub, the SA-WM40 offers a quality product for a low price.

Barton Lynch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barton Lynch
Good news folks, my local service center replaced the faulty unit (the Sony MDS-JB940 MD Deck) with a new one without questions. Cool! Looks like it went smooth after all. Still though, that does not take away my feelings against Sony's recent quality-crap tendency. There are a lot of other good (and better) brands to choose from, thank God for freedom of commerce and competition. Thank you all for sharing.
------------------
Barton Lynch
...nothing can stop me now

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Barton, glad to hear that everything worked out well for you. I've called Sony customer service on a few occasions and have always had good luck with them.
I suppose if I had your experience with Sony products, I would feel differently towards the company. Sony has been good to me. With respect to minidisc, I hope Sony maintains the quality that I have seen in their decks because there are few other choices available now, at least in the US. Pioneer stopped making it's mass-market and Elite minidisc decks awhile back. Frankly, the only other companies that I know are still making minidisc decks for sale in the US are Tascam (pro decks only) and TEAC.
------------------
My:

John Morton

Stunt Coordinator
Great news Barton!! Glad to hear it. I hope you have better luck going forward!!
I've been pretty impressed with Sony's service (I bought 4 different service manuals and each was on my door step within 3 days). I also would like to admit that I look at EVERY MANUFACTURER out there when considering ANY new purchase, but I so far have had nothing but great success with every Sony product I've purchased.
These include:
Rack system (receiver, phone, dual tape, 5 disk CD) which I loved from 1990-1998. It was the best sounding and comparably priced unit. I then moved to a Sony pro logic which is still running strong in my friend's house. I now have 2 STR-DB930s and they're both perfect (3-4 years). I will admit that I got the 1st one DOA, but I took a close look at it and the amp board had a bad connection. I had another one on my door step the next day from my Sony authorized reseller with a return label (all I had to do was pay for return shipping). I have 2 5 disk DVD players (3-4 years - which I love - Even with the lip sync problem in one of them, I personally think they are great products for the $ in comparison to what other companies offered at the time!!). I also have a Wega that I've loved for the past 2-3 years. I have a 21" Sony PC monitor that was a display model at Circuit City for a year before I got it, and that was 3-4 years ago. Sony clock radio is great also!! Sony 27" trinitron TV from 1990 looks better than ever since I've done what I know to do for calibration. Heck, now that I think of it, I bought my neice a Sony CD-walkman thing 2 years ago and she dropped in the parking lot on the way to the car. It still works perfectly.

Matty B

Stunt Coordinator
The difference here is that most of us can say that we have had one or more Sony products fail on us, they are the only company I have ever purchased something from that failed on me. I don't know if that's good luck, or if its the quality of other products? I had a Sony DVD player fail after a year (Computer DVD player) and a Sony Cordless phone. I have also had 2 sony televisions work FLAWLESSLY for 8 years and 4 years respectively. I would NEVER hesitate to buy a sony tube television or recommend them to my friends and family. When it comes to speakers, or audio equipment I would tell people to look elsewhere.

David Nguyen

Stunt Coordinator
I too, am getting wary of purchasing Sony products in the future. I don't know why, but I keep going back to them.
I was sucked into the Sony way of life when I was younger, because I found their products user friendly. (To this day, I still find their products more user friendly than some other brands.) I had a boombox, numerous walkmans and cd players, headphones, and a phone from Sony. They all failed me miserably, but I kept buying Sony replacements.
Years went by, and I got into home theater. My very first purchase(last summer) was a Sony DVD player. Lo and behold, shortly after the warranty period ended, it died on me. I just replaced the spindle motor last weekend for $95. Needless to say, this event has reminded me of my past experience with Sony products and I will not be giving them another red cent if it breaks again.

Barton Lynch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barton Lynch
David, you have a point there. There is something attractive about Sony's products that keeps me considering them among all the alternatives out there. Could it be the ease of use? Style? Features? Don't know for sure but it steers me to it. I don't think, due to my bad experiences, that I'll drop Sony for good. but I will consider other alternatives before making any purchase decisions. The thing is that I love Minidisc too, and Sony's option looks more attractive and easy to use that others. And It's ES line is hard to miss, audiophile quality for the consumer.
KeithH, Yamaha also makes MD units, last time I checked their catalog and web site. They appear to be pretty good, since I happen to learn to love Yamaha too. Well, hope my new deck stays with me and ends this bad luck for Sony's good (and mine
wink.gif
). Thanks again for sharing.
------------------
Barton Lynch
...nothing can stop me now

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Barton, I don't believe Yamaha sells any minidisc decks in the US. I was commenting about decks available in the US. Minidisc never took off in the US like it did in Europe or Japan, so there are few models available in the States nowawdays. Most of what are available in the US are Sony units. When I first got into minidisc in '99, Sony offered in the US two mass-market straight-minidisc decks (i.e., with no CD tray), the MDS-JE330 and 'JE630, and two ES decks, the MDS-JA20ES and 'JA555ES. Now, Sony only offers one mass-market deck, the 'JE470, and one ES deck, the 'JA333ES. From the looks of things (i.e., overall specs.), the 'JA333ES is not up to the standard of the older 'JA555ES. Furthermore, while Sony recently replaced the 'JE440 with the 'JE470, they did not replace the 'JB940 (there is no 'JB970 out or on the horizon). So, even Sony has scaled back minidisc player releases in the US.
I often read British hi-fi magazines such as What Hi*Fi? and Hi-Fi Choice. In reading these magazines, I see many more minidisc decks available in the UK than in the States. Besides Sony, minidisc decks are available there from Yamaha, Pioneer, Kenwood, Grundig, etc., etc. Maybe minidisc is more popular in Venezuela than the US, so you may have more choices than we do.
------------------
My:

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
My Sony Sport Walkman has lasted for 15 years... I'm not kidding, 15 years! (1986 to 2001) Last month, I decided to go portable CD. I threw out the Sport Walkman, but am now thinking that I should have kept it. I have never had anything as reliable as that!
------------------
Best, Sam

Irens Cruz

Stunt Coordinator
I also have being lucky with Sony, I have ES Receiver, CD carrousel, VCR, DVD player and 36" TV and haven't have any problem at all. I've had many other Sony products before and they worked flawless.
I agree with Greg and Keith, Sony sells a lot more so the change of complains is higher.
Jr.

David Nguyen

Stunt Coordinator
I decided to check out Audioreview, to see if anybody else had problems with their Sony DVD player, like I did. Imagine my shock, when almost every post mentions the "no disc" error I had happen to me a few weeks ago. Now I can rest easy, knowing I just blew $95 to repair it, and it can die on me again at any time. Grr...
http://www.audioreview.com/reviews/D...ct_47678.shtml
[Edited last by David Nguyen on October 12, 2001 at 12:53 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks