What's new

I'm normally big on new tech, but i'm not excited for HD-DVD or Bluray (1 Viewer)

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I wasn't absolutely sure, thanx.

Would HD-DVD look better than DVD connected via component to a 480i monitor? My room mate just upgraded his computer and it has component video outputs. We watched one of those WMV-HD Imax films and then watched a regular DVD on my Toshiba SD-9000 (which is by my understanding an excellent player). There was a night and day difference in clarity, contrast and the image was super sharp, I couldn't beleive how good it looked on the WMV-HD output via component on the computer. I tried playing the Imax regular DVD in the computer and I looked worse than when the Toshiba played it.

It would be awesome if I could squeeze more from my TV by getting HD-DVD or Blu-Ray.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I have seen them on a crt projection and wasn't impressed. I have also seen them in CC and they look good but not as good, to me, HD-DVD. I realize in a store the signal may be diluded in some cases, but many TV's have built in High Def decoders and shouldn't deviate from the original source to much or any different than what it would be in your home.

Christopher a

Stunt Coordinator
Even nature shows shot on HiDef are usually dumbed down on OTA broadcasts due to compression artifacts. Sure, there is great detail on a lot of these "close-up of a butterfly on a bright green leaf" types of shows. But as soon as the camera pans or there is running water, etc the obviously low bit rate kicks in.

To put it in perspective, I can easily see Mpeg 2 artifacts on my 34 inch hd monitor on a nature show. On my 62 inch dlp hooked up to hd-dvd playing a regular film, no artifacts in sight. The codec and the care of the transfer are both better on HD-DVD than OTA broadcast.

chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks