What's new

I'm looking to replace receiver being used as an amp with same thing. Suggestions? (1 Viewer)

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Hello everybody,

I am currently powering my center channel, and three rear channels with my old Yamaha R-V1105. This is being used solely as an amp as I have a B&K Reference 50 pre/pro to do the other work. Unfortunately, my center channel has developed a low whiny noise that's very annoying. I tried hooking another speaker up in the same place and the same sound appears in that speaker so I know that it is the receiver. The problem is, there's one other channel I can use, but it emits the same whine. The other three channels are quiet.

I want to either fix whatever the noise is, or buy a replacement solution with at least as good as quality as the Yamaha assuming it weren't making the whiney sound. I'm basically looking for an interim solution until I can afford a nice amplifier later on down the line. I currently have a B&K Reference 200.1 powering my mains.

The reason I want a quick solution is because I am hosting a HT meet in September and I'd like to have a whine-free system. :)

I'm looking cheap, so it'll probably have to be used. $100 price range, but I'll go higher if something really good is available. The plan is to also have a pair of Axiom QS8s by my meet so I need to save money for those too.

As for fixing the problem, I think there may be interference with the Yamaha's display. When I change the dimming settings, the whine changes in pitch, but not volume. Does anyone know a way to disconnect the display without cutting anything? I haven't tried opening the receiver yet to see it there's something obvious.

Do you have any suggestions on which route to take, items to consider, how to repair the whine?

Thanks for any help or info,
George

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I would do some more trouble shooting while you are pretty sure it is the Yamaha and it more than likely is it could be due to a faulty connection between your preamp and Yamaha or the speaker wire, the speaker wire or some interconnects may be to close to ac lines and picking up interference of sorts, or the preamp could be the problem (not likely, but you should know for sure before buying something that doesn't fix the problem).

Test the Preamp by switching around the connections with a channel that sounds fine with one of the compromised channels. Check all the connections and proximety to ac lines, flourescent lamps, or fans.

It is likely you will need to repair the Yamaha or get something to replace it. I would recommend finding a 5 channel amp on ebay that you can justify spending money. This will give you enough to upgrade to a 7.1 configuration if you want. You will more than likely not find a descent amp with your current budget of $100 dollars, not much can really be expected for that much. I bought a Carver AV-505 5 channel amp with a modular amp design at a pawn shop for $300. It has 80 watts rms per channel all channels driven. It's little brother the AV-405 is often on Ebay for about $200. (though it is not modular)

If you repair the the Yamaha I feel you would be robbing yourself of an opportunity to better your system, this is of course my opinion and I wouldn't base my decisions entirely on one man's opinion. Wait and see what other members say or maybe any other enthusiasts you know.

What are your center and surround speakers? Heck tell me the entire system if you want to.

Seth=L

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Hi Seth,

For my mains, I am using Martin Logan Aeon i's. The center channel is a Definitive Tech C/L/R 3000. I was going to eventually buy a Martin Logan center, but the Def Tech is really nice, so I'm not sure. The Theater i was $2800 last I checked, which is more than I paid for the ML pair. So, I might be content with the Def Tech even though the Theater is really good.

The rears are my main concern for upgrading. Currently, the two sides are KLH's. They are what is left of the first surround system I owned. They don't sound too bad actually which is why they've lasted so long, and I've upgraded the rest of the HT. The rear center is a JBL S-center.

Like I said in the first post, I want to upgrade to Axiom QS8s next for the two side. I was then going to move the two KLH's two the rear for 7.1. I have a small room, but figured that 7.1 would still be benefitial because the rear wouldn't be 180 degrees behind the listener. I read that when something is directly behind you, your ears cannot tell if it is in the front or in the back of you. So why not split that channel a couple of degrees?

Finally, I'd probably get QS4's for the last two channels, maybe the 8's thinking of the future when I'll have a bigger room to play with.

If I didn't want to have the QS8's by September 16th, I'd buy a better quality amp instead of the cheapo :) solution. But, I since my Yamaha is doing a decent job powerwise, I don't mind finding a temporary solution. Eventually, I'd really like to get another B&K amp to either match the other one, or replace it, depending on if I go with a 5 or 7 channel amp.

Thanks for the input so far.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I to got into audio at an early age, probably because of my dad who used to scare me with his stereo which now I realize wasn't not very loud now. It was just a pair of AAL bookshelves and Adcom stuff. Now he has Martin Logans, Klipsch Legends powered by a Sunfire Cinema Grand Amplifier, he has said for years that he would move up to home theater but still remains in the stereo age. I have followed his steps closely, we have matching subs the Sunfire true sub MKI. I have gone the extra mile with home theater and I hope I can rival him soon. I'm only 20 and my home theater is quite advanced in my opinion, but yours still outdoes mine by a long shot. Sorry for changing the thread topic. I just wanted to tell my story.

I should probably start my own web page so I don't have to repeat myself right?

Seth=L

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.