What's new

I'm looking for a good progressive scan DVD changer. Who's is the best? (1 Viewer)

SpenceJT

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Spencer
I'm interested in upgrading my Toshiba SD-6200, to a newer progressive scan player.

My ultimate upgrade would be capable of playing DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, MP3, CD-R, CD-RW, and if possible DVD-RW.

Oh yeah, I'd prefer it to be able to load up more than one DVD (no need for anything elaborate, I'm perfectly happy with my dual tray Toshiba).

So far I've seen that Toshiba has a new Progressive Scan changer available, and from what I've read, JVC's isn't all that bad.

Has anyone seen any review articles comparing features, quality, etc.? I am particularly interested in how their video quality comes across. The other consideration is DVD+RW playback as I am looking toward archiving home video's to more stable media.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Spence

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Though pricey, you might want to look at the Denon DVM-4800 and Kenwood Sovereign DV-5700. Both are five-disc, progressive-scan changers that play DVD-Audio discs. The typical street price for them is $1200. People have said that the Denon exhibits a scaling problem, but Denon may come up with a fix for it. I haven't heard too much about the Kenwood piece, but it does use the much-acclaimed Faroudja deinterlacing chip. Check www.crutchfield.com for more information on both players. If you can spend upwards of $1200, I would expect the Denon and Kenwood pieces to outperform the Toshiba and JVC players based on everything I have read.

SpenceJT

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Spencer
Thanks KeithH,

I've ordered the Kenwood DV-5700. I've read some mixed reviews on it. One particular thread at AVSForum brings to light some issues with the player locking up. I hope they are not true.

I'll post my review once I receive it and get a chance to play with it.

Spence

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Spence, I saw your post in Andrew's DV-5700 thread. Hope the player works out for you. Do post your thoughts when you have had a chance to play with it.

By the way, the January 2002 issue of Sound & Vision has a positive review of the Denon DVM-4800 progressive-scan DVD-Audio changer, in case you are interested. I would take the review with a grain of salt because Sound & Vision tends to like everything. I've seen the '4800 in a few stores and found the build quality to be disappointing considering the price and the fact that it is a Denon product. The carousel drawer is flimsy and not smooth in operation. Hopefully the Kenwood changer is better in that regard.

mctague

Stunt Coordinator
I'm still on the side lines for a progressive player, though I need one DESPARATELY. Current Toshiba going on the fritz, Pioneer Elite just waiting for the big time.....but I haven't been won over yet.

Had a bad Denon carousel experience years ago, and I've got a Pioneer that locks in full, so I need scaling that works.

And I'm not a big fan of Panny........but am leaning that way unless something else doesn't pop up soon!

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
mctague,

I'm in the same postion as you - I've owned a Pioneer Elite 610 for two years and still no DVD player. The set puts outs such great images that I bought a good VCR and actually really enjoy a lot of widescreen VHS and Super-VHS movies on it!

I'm on the sidelines yet like you. I've given up for now on finding a scaling DVD player combined with a good deinterlacing chip for progressive output. I'll just switch the DVD player back to interlaced for non-anamorphic DVD's and scale using the Elite's excellent zoom mode.

I'm leaning towards the Kenwood Sovereign DV-5700 DVD player at this point and just waiting for the full review of this player over at the Secrets of Hometheater site. Their preliminary review of this player in August showed it in a very good light regarding progressive output performance. However you have to reach around to the back of the player to slide a switch in order to switch it to interlaced mode non-anamorphic's on an Elite. This player uses both the Faroudja deinterlacer chip and Faroudja video enhancer chip and does not have a the "chroma bug" that so many players have. The other two DVD players that use both of these chips cost $5K and $8K respectively!! The DV-5700 could bought for $1K just before Christmas and will probably deline more in price in the next couple of months.

I've got to get a player soon!

PaulKH

Second Unit
Phil - glad you like letterbox VHS tapes displayed on your Elite 610HD, but good grief, you're missing soooooooo much you could have with ANY DVD player. Spend $100 and get something! VHS on the Elite is a real waste.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I would have to agree with KeithH on the Denon or the Kenwood. The Kenwood from what I have heard and seen is the best out. I am not aware of any problems with the unit and have not heard about the flaw you are refering too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks