What's new

I'm in a slump... I need pointers (1 Viewer)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Well, I've finished another season of summer softball last night. My problem is, my batting has gotten progessively worse and is now pretty pathetic. All I seem to do is whimpy grounders to the short stop.

I've decided to devote the entire off season to improving my batting. I plan on hitting some indoor cages near where I work.. hopefully once or twice a week if I can afford it. But, does anyone know of any exercises or pointers that'll get my swing back?

Kevin_Spradley

Stunt Coordinator
Well Dave, I can't offer any pointers, but I can feel your pain. We are in the end of season tournament right now and ever since game 5 of the regular season, my hitting has been crap. I am popping everything up. I think I am pulling my head out to early causing my back shoulder to drop. The few solid hits I did have were opposite field line drives. I would suggest going to the cage and just work on making solid contact, and "watch the ball hit the bat". And wait just a split second longer to swing. I notice when I am really early, I end up hitting weak grounders off the end of the bat. I've got to get ready for fall season. These are the things I am working on.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I do fine in the cage or if we practice... but... when in the game I find myself reaching out for the ball too much. I can't stop... it's frustrating.

Phillip Larrabure

Auditioning
When I first started playing softball, I hit like a girl...well...at least like Tatum O'Neal. I was used to baseball where the hitting zone is much smaller. You could stand close to the plate and try to pull everything. Plus, the hitter has to generate all of the power in softball. I was standing way to close to the plate for my swing. First thing, I'd try is different positions in the batter's box. Do you usually make contact out in front of you? I'd try getting real close to the plate. Do you make contact over the plate? I'd move a little away from the plate. In this case, try hitting up the middle and to the opposite field just to see if it helps. Getting your arms extended should help.

Another question. When you're up and the pitcher misses the plate, is he inside, outside, short or deep? Inside, he's trying to jam you. Adjust your position according to the pitcher's tactics.

Another thing I do when I slump is use a shorter bat not necessarily a lighter one. Once I get my confidence back, I go back to my normal bat.

Hope this helps.

Joe Wilmore

Stunt Coordinator
Keep your weight on your back foot for a split second longer then you think you need to. Most grounders are caused by transferring your weight shift to early.

Armando Zamora

Second Unit
Real Name
aromaz odnamra
1) Off-season weight training/conditioning (doesn't necessarily have to be heavy lifting/weight), and
2) Use a lighter bat...generate more bat speed.

As suggested, wait on the pitch a tad longer. Also, take a pitch or two (unless, of course, it's in your wheelhouse). Reaching out for a pitch is a sign of anxiousness.

Turn those whimpy grounders into laser line drives.

Jason Kirkpatri

Second Unit
My thoughts are to lift weights to get your swing strength up. Heavy barbell rows and heavy bench presses will hit your lats and triceps sufficiently. I'd actually do much more than this, but it would be a start.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Have someone videotape your swing, after which you can analyze it and look for flaws (assuming you know what to look for).

Weight properly balanced? Are you keeping your head down on the ball as you should? Maybe you're dropping your hands as you swing? Rear elbow up? Rear foot pivoting properly (as if snuffing out a cig)? Is your stride toward the pitcher, rather than veered left or right? Eye on the ball all the way to the bat or catcher's glove?

Also, it sounds as if you may not be using your lower body effectively as you swing, instead relying primarily on your arms / upper body. Most of your power, when a swing is properly executed, comes from your hips.

Good luck,

Jon

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
This happened to me last year, and I too did fine in the cages. I'm not a big guy, and am strictly a singles hitter, but last season I didn't hit much. Turned out I needed an adjustment to the presecription on my glasses because my night time vision had declined a bit and most of our games are night games.

I know it's a long shot, but I figured since no one mentioned it, I would.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks