What's new

I'm going to get a DirecTivo, but some ?'s... (1 Viewer)

Tim Holyoke

Second Unit
OK, I've decided I'm going to get a DirecTivo, but I have some questions. First, I have an old dish (w/just 2 cables running from it), and my local channels aren't coming until (they say) April '04. I'll need a multi-satellite system for the local channels - would that be included in the free installation? I remember reading another post that somebody called DTV and said they needed everything upgraded, and they put in a multi-sat. system for free. A majority of the things I'd record are on the local channels, so I'm thinking about waiting until the end of February (when the DTV Tivo offer ends) to get it. I live in Wisconsin though, so the ground will be frozen then, and our cables are buried and about 40' from the house (live in the country, trees in the way). I'm wondering if I should maybe open up the trench and lay a few more cables and just leave them be until Feb.?

Here is the deal I refer to: http://www.directv.com/Email2003/Q42..._DVR_TiVo.html

I didn't notice anything about it being only for new DTV customers? I'd get enough new receivers for 3 rooms, so if 2 cables went to the Tivo, I'd need 4 total (if I planned on using all 3 receivers)? I really like doing things myself, and would prefer not having the DTV guy come and do it all - is there any way to avoid having the DTV guy do it and still get the upgrades for free?

Lotsa questions, I'm sure I'll have more :D . Thanks a lot.

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Stewart
When you order these systems through Directv and they come with free installation, they will give you everything you need, including any multi-switches. However, Directv has been out of the directivo's for a couple of weeks now. If you follow the link you provided, I'm sure you'll find that eventually after trying to order it will tell you that they are out of stock. They may give you the option of submitting your Email address and they will tell you when they're available again, but I've heard that this may not be until sometime in the first part of 2004.

Stew

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you want your installation done right, you might as well do it yourself. Go ahead and run two more cables out to the dish location. When locals are available, D* will upgrade your dish for free if you subscribe. Until then, go to Best Buy or Circuit City and get a $99 DirecTivo there since they are the only ones selling them to existing customers now.

-Robert

Kevin Nolan

Stunt Coordinator
If you find D* is out of stock try tiger.orbitsat.com. I am having mine installed tomorrow am with the triple LNB 18"x20" D* dish (ready for HDTV) for $119 delivered and installed. There are probably better deals out there but if Directv is out you can still have this system for probably less than what Direct wants.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks