What's new

"I'm Dickens, He's Fenster" reportedly coming (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Neil Brock said:
Well, as Ms. Rothstein has failed to respond I'll have to agree, especially considering the cost of that half-season. Yeah, there's "bonus" material included but I'm firmly in the "don't care about bonus junk" camp. Just give me a good quality release at a fair price. Several posts were done early on in this thread indicating split-season releases are unnaceptable by many of us yet the producers, who we were told read the thread, chose to ignore this concern.
I'm fed up with split-season/partial season releases of these *single season* shows! It's bad enough for shows that ran for years, but to do so on single season shows is unconscionable! I see this as no different than issuing a "sampler" of a handful of episodes to test the waters. I didn't buy any of those and will not buy these until the whole season is available. :td:

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I really have to ask why some people have this sense of entitlement within themselves that certain material should automatically be made available at a rock-bottom rate with zero regard for how an independent operation *may* have incurred a great deal of expense just to make something possible that if owned by a major studio we *know* would likely stand no chance of release. Goodness knows I want to see things I'm interested in made available at a great price, but if it's something where I KNOW there's been a lot of expense and effort made by people to make them available (see for instance "Steve Canyon") I think those people are entitled to a lot more consideration than a big studio doing the split season format for something they can *afford* to release at a better price.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^No "sense of entitlement" just frustration at what seems to be a sort of money grab. ~$30 for 13 episodes of a 30 minute program is on the steep side of prices, independent operation or not. Should the second half appear that would make ~$60 for the season. This is early DVD pricing structure. Even from a smaller studio I'd expect this to be at most $50, which is still somewhat on the high side of pricing for a 30 minute program. This price is for web only orders and it'll be spring before it's released to retailers such as Amazon. I doubt the Amazon price will be $30 (plus shipping). So, yes, this appears to be an attempt to get fans, who just can't wait, to fork over more money so as to be the "first on the block" by including "bonus" material to justify the price. There is *no* indication the producers incurred "a lot of expense" with this release, just conjecture. Comparison has been made to The Mothers in Law which also was a single season series released all at once by MPI (not a "big" studio) for a "reasonable" price and includes similar "bonus" features (other than those "early adopter" come-ons). Bilko, also a Leonard Stern show and admittedly from a larger studio, has a fair price for the first season.
Frankly I'd not be nearly as upset, even with the somewhat inflated price, were this being released all at once instead of in half-season format. It's that half-season format that, to me, makes it feel like a money grab. When you look at how long it took them to get the first half out it really makes you wonder how long it'll be until the second half appears, if at all. If you're happy with the higher price for a half-season, great. I'm not and wanted to voice my annoyance about the release to the producers of the product, who *seem* to follow this thread, although in a somewhat haphazard fashion apparently only when it suites their purpose (i.e. promotion of release). If they want to comment about *why* this is being done half-season and can justify it other than being to get a higher price I'll listen. As they've not it seems to validate that premise.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
Speculative rationalization, but perhaps being that they've invested a lot of $ into a fairly unknown venture -- we're talking about a series that was nearly 50 years ago and doesn't have even the word-of-mouth buzz/push that Car 54 had, maybe splitting it into 2 has appeal of a) being able to offer an affordable enticement for blind purchasers ($30 is a lot less than $57) b) spreads the risk around, especially if there's a chance that the initial release sells slowly; and c) will generate more money to hopefully make this a profitable venture.
That they've loaded it up with extras has my appreciation, even tho i understand that many people don't care about that stuff (see Warner Archives)... I put my order in about 3 minutes after i saw it go up; I'm not especially flush with cash but the public has become somewhat 'use' to split season releases, for better or worse. That this isn't Paramount gouging us with unannounced 'new music' on a classic series only to later offer up the original music reinstalled for a golden-egg-laying goose... I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that i will find this a worthy investment. That Mr. Stern was very involved in this right til the end makes me satisfied that i'll be happy.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I received my Volume 1 set and have watched several of the episodes. I'm enjoying this show and hope we get the rest of the episodes sooner rather than later. The third disc is apparently all bonus features, but I haven't had the opportunity to view any of those yet.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
I received this from Amazon yesterday after ordering it on a blind buy for a nice low price of $16.99. I picked it up for 2 reasons: I've always loved John Astin's performances over the years, and I'm a Leonard "Get Smart" Stern fan as well, not to mention I know this show is rare, having never been in syndication.
After watching the first 4 episodes, I can safely say I'm a fan of the show. It's immediately apparent that Astin and Marty Ingels have wonderful chemistry together and great comic timing. The plots are funny and hold up very well after almost 50 years, the dialogue has some snappy, quick-witted lines that crack me up, and the humor is timeless. I also like their blue-collar buddies, particularly in the 3rd episode where they think one of them robbed a bank 10 years earlier after they buy a run-down old cabin.
I'm grateful that I've had a chance to discover this hidden gem of a show, and will continue to offer comments as I work my way through the other 12 episodes of Volume 1 and the bonus features. I urge any fan of classic TV comedy, or Astin and Ingels, or Stern to give it a try. Looking forward to hearing news about the second and final volume as well--let's hope it's not too long of a wait (the first one appears to be selling very well on Amazon).

rcbrad

Agent
Real Name
Rick
Thanks, I just bought this, but it is now $15.99 at Amazon. The price may go lower in the future, but I just decided to buy it since I had enough in my cart for free shipping.
I'm looking forward to this release. I have a couple eps that I have enjoyed, but want to see them all and the bonus features.

rcbrad

Agent
Real Name
Rick
Where is volume II? I wonder if volume 1 sold well? There's no mention of the status of volume II on the fan site that I could see? Does anyone know of any news?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks