What's new

I'm Depressed.Can you recommend a good comedy DVD to cheer me up (1 Viewer)

DanFe

Second Unit
When Day After Tomorrow comes out on DVD rent that for the biggest bunch of laughs ever (the plot and dialog are so stupid you can't help it). Saw it last night and was bursting out with laughs in the theater. People were looking at me all night and my wife just about brained me.

TedT

Second Unit
South Park "Bigger, Longer, Uncut"
American Pie 2
Austin Powers (all three of them)

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
How about "A Shot in the Dark,'' the second of the Pink Panther movies. I always laugh when I see it.
Also, "Michael,'' although I'm not a big Travolta fan and the movie has never been released in its proper OAR.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
That's true. Depending on what the depression is, even comedies can make things worse.

Example: If you are depressed about losing a parent, "Tommy Boy" may not be the best movie to watch.

or

If you are depressed about becoming recently single, a romantic comedy may be more frustrating than funny.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i agree with the suggestions for Amelie.
its not just honestly funny (it is) but it also has that spirit of Joie De Vivre that puts a spring in your step after watching it

i would also highly recommend
The In-Laws (the '79 original)
The Prisoner Of Second Avenue (a MUST when your feeling blue as its about a man going thru a middle aged breakdown)
The Accidental Tourist

the last isn't typically classified as a comedy, yet it has some enormously funny elements.
it also deals in some ways with depression (characters dealing with the death of a child) and the rut that it creates, but the film is positive and beautifully done.

good luck.

Roy Van Nostrand

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Roy Van Nostrand
Airplane!

Back To School

The Blues Brothers

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

A Fish Called Wanda

The Fortune Cookie

A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum

The Great Race

Home Alone

It’s A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World

Me, Myself And Irene

Meet The Parents

Miss Congeniality

Mrs. Doubtfire

My Big Fat Greek Wedding

9 To 5

Naked Gun

The Odd Couple

The Out-Of-Towners

The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming

Ruthless People

The Survivors

Top Secret!

Uncle Buck

Wayne’s World

What’s Up, Doc?

When Harry Met Sally

Young Frankenstein

...to put me in a good mood, the old TV shows work best

Dick Van Dyke
Mary Tyler Moore Show
Cheers
Frasier

There's one movie comedy that really makes laugh involuntarily, but I can't remember which one. Some of these aforementioned gems are still only available without anamorphic enhancement which makes me not laugh ...Big, Mrs. Doubtfire, Home Alone etc... Also, comedy like beauty is only skin-deep, but reading what others find funny is provacative and makes me want to see 'em.

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
Whole hearted agreement above with the possibility of checking with a mental health professional about the root cause of your depression.

However, if you are having a simple case of the blues, throw yourself a little film fest. I had a themed fest one time that really perked me up. Mrs. Doubtfire and Tootsie as a double feature are highly recommended!

Frasier season 1 episode "Author, Author" did a number as well, namely the fist "fight" nerdy braincases Frasier and Niles get into.

Niles: "My, God! My, God! I'm having a flashback; You're climbing into my crib and jumping on me!"
Frasier: "You stole my mommy!"

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
"Frances," starring Jesisca Lange. (Totally kidding.)

Lynda-Marie, I can't believe I had to scan down to the last post to find "Tootsie," the very film I was going to recommend. No funnier movie, in my opinion.

I also recommend "Terms of Endearment" -- everything up till the ending is some of the funniest stuff I've ever seen. And even the ending, while sad, has an uplifting "life-goes-on" quality.

And, it's not a comedy, but "The Sound of Music" is always good for cheering me up.

(Seriously, though, if the depression persists, at least see your regular doctor and ask if he can get you on some medication for depression, if you can't see a mental health professional. It's still best to find out the root cause of your depression, but sometimes the cause is clinical, not psycological. In any case, medication can help in the short term until you get things sorted out.)

Ryan Belfast

Stunt Coordinator
The Music Box

This film sees Laurel and Hardy trying to deliver a heavy piano up a huge flight of stairs. I need say no more.

This film has me in tears when i watch it. Absoulte brilliant comedy.

Ryan Belfast

Stunt Coordinator
The Music Box

This film sees Laurel and Hardy trying to deliver a heavy piano up a huge flight of stairs. I need say no more.

This film has me in tears when i watch it. Absoulte brilliant comedy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks