What's new

I'm Depressed.Can you recommend a good comedy DVD to cheer me up (1 Viewer)

Charles H

Screenwriter
THE OFFICE, an Emmy award winning BBC comedy series that is the first--and final--word ON depression. Good comedy is about stepping up to the problem, not escaping from it.

BrionL

Stunt Coordinator
How about This is Spinal Tap. One of the funniest movies I've ever seen.

Also, if you like BBC stuff check out a comedy series called Bottom. It is one of the funniest UK comedy series I've ever seen. Another good BBC series that Charles H brought up is The Office.

Brion

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
I would definitely recommend some good adventure films.

Perhaps the best feel-good movie of the silent era is THE MARK OF ZORRO, or really any Douglas Fairbanks movie.

You also can't go wrong with Harold Lloyd or Buster Keaton (or even early Chaplin before he started mixing in melodrama).

Stan and Ollie also cure the blues.

Dom

Stunt Coordinator
I'd rent Absolutely Fabulous..darn funny.

Also, Dame Edna puts me in stiches as well.

Don't go on prozak now...your weenie won't like it..hehe

Werner_R

Stunt Coordinator
Blackadder works every time, just like Monty Python and Bottom, the BBC just has the funniest stuff in my opinion...

Jeffrey

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Mike,

As Agent Cooper on Twin Peaks would say, "Chin up!"

I can relate to your situation big time....I thought I was immune to the blues and found out otherwise last year. Without getting into details, thanks to wonderful friends, family, spirituality and help, I'm laughing and smiling again...and on your way back to doing the same, I highly recommend these cinematic joy inducers:

A Hard Day's Night
The Party (classic Peter Sellers movie--"num-num")
Box Of Moonlight (obscure Sam Rockwell movie well worth hunting up)
Singing in the Rain
American Graffiti
SCTV Network 90-Volume 1 (You're close to my age, so I know you'll adore this; hardest I've laughed in ages...It was like going back to my late teens)
Toy Story
Dr. Strangelove

Good luck on your journey,

Jeffrey

Eric F

Screenwriter
I'll second What About Bob?

Baby steps to the door. Baby steps to the hall. Baby steps to the elevator...Baby steps to the videostore...

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
Revenge of the Nerds
Weekend at Bernie's
A Christmas Story
Ghostbusters
Billy Madison
Happy Gilmore
The Waterboy
Airheads
Blazing Saddles
Airplane!

When I was going through a hard time last year, Rat Race was a Godsend. It's one of the funniest movies I've seen in a long time.

DougFND

Stunt Coordinator
Meet the Parents. Makes me laugh every time. Funniest movie I've seen in many years.

No, that's not to say it's the funniest movie in years period, just the funniest that I've seen.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
National Lampoons' Vacation
Airplane
Trading Places
Animal House

on August 10, 2004 one of the funniest event films ever made is being released. Bill Cosby Himself

Maybe the funniest thing I've ever seen.

Hope things are working out for you Mike. :)

Tim_C

Stunt Coordinator
The Producers - Mel Brooks' best film, in my opinion.
A Night at the Opera
Dr. Strangelove
Singin' in the Rain - as others mentioned, it's just a very happy film
Young Frankenstein
Happy Gilmore - More of a "turn your brain off" type of film, but I'll admit I was laughing quite hard during several parts

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler

"In my office, you can call me Leo, in my home...... you call me Dr. Marvin"

I must add the very funny
Midnight Run , great dialog

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
One, Two, Three-- 1961 Jimmy Cagney comedy directed by Billy Wilder. Cagney is a Coca Cola exec. stationned in West Berlin at the hieght of the cold war when his bosse's daughter visits from Atlanta and gets romantically embroiled with an East German red.

The Great Race-- Epic Blake Edwards comedy about a 1907ish round the world auto race with Tony Curtis, Natalie Wood, Jack Lemmon and Peter Falk. Lemmon and Falk are priceless as the Snidely Whiplash villain and his hapless assistant.

Larry P

Stunt Coordinator
SCARY MOVIE 3. It hits all the marks that the original Naked Gun hit, or at least came close, IMO. Funny as hell, but very cheerful and emotionally honest, and never mean spirited.

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
On a serious note, I know depression can be hard. I've only had it mildly at times, and it was physically painful in a way. Best of luck to get outta there, it's not a fun place to be.

I recently had a birthday and got Wayne's World as a present. It's as funny as I remember it. As a Mike Myers fan, I'd also recommend the Austin Powers Trilogy and So I Married an Axe Murderer.

Good luck! :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks