What's new

"I'm a PC, I'm a Mac" ads are back! (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Boy I really missed these ads.

Saw a new one on CNN last evening. Went to the Apple website
and found these new entries

New: Podium; Boxer; PR Lady

Fun watch!

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
Gotta say, I love watching these ads. They always bring a smile to my face.

I'm completely addicted to my new iMac :D

FrankT

Stunt Coordinator
I like the David Letterman skits that mock those ads, funny as hell. He has two of his stage hands dress up like those guys (of course they look nothing like them) and the PC guy kicks the Mac guy in the nuts. Funny stuff, check them out if you can.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
"Ask not what Vista can do you for you. Ask what you can buy for Vista!"

I find these much more amusing now that I'm a Mac owner :)

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
I'm a Mac guy first and foremost, but I hope they dont run these ads to the ground. They're cute at first but then it's all smug after a while. They're starting to irritate me like those disgusting Carls Jr ads (dont bother me, I'm eating)... I dont think I can eat at that place again, lol.

ErichH

Screenwriter
Wow, I don't even know what Carls Jr is? Guess I'm missing out not watching network TV..Hmmm?

Nope ;)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I don't either. You've probably also never lived west of the Mississippi (except maybe the Rockies). I have it on good authority that it's better for us that way.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I hate misleading ads that cater to the sub-intelligent, and the Mac vs. PC ads fall into that category. So do the iPhone ads for that matter.

"Ooh, I can do this on my iPhone, I'm so productive!" As if no other phones are capable of looking up weather reports or viewing google maps.

And I don't mean to be bashing Apple only for there ads. There are plenty of comparison ads out there that do the same thing and they all drive me nuts with their stupidity. Miller Lite with their "Commissioner" ads is another one.

They basically all say the same thing...

"Hey you're a bumbling idiot if you use that other product. Buy our product and then you'll be cool and can look down on the other bumbling idiots."

...replace "bumbling idiot" with "old fart" for the old Pepsi commercials with the similar message.

Just watching those commercials insults my intelligence. I apologize to anyone I've offended with my remarks, but these types of commercials just make me angry and when I saw this thread I had to vent.

As for Carls Jr.? They sponsor the Secretary of State. (if you don't get the reference, you've missed out on a brilliant movie)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Joe,

I don't think you have offended anyone.

Look, it may be bad advertising, but to an extent it's effective.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
an bit of an over reaction.

the iphone ads never say the other phones cant do these thinks, the ads just tell you what the iphone can do.

as for the mac vs. pc ads, if they offend you i really dont know how to respond to that.
whats the big deal.
they're funny.

if someone's not smart enough to do your own research and base your purchase only on these commercials, then thats to bad.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Oh, I do agree that the ads are effective, but then that's the point of advertising. An ad where you remember the content of the ad but not the product/service/branding it's advertising would be useless.

That's exactly what the advertisers are banking on with these kinds of ads.

I'm also a fan of Justin Long's work in general, going back to Galaxy Quest, and he is very persuasive in his "Mac Guy" role.

Besides, I was just venting my personal opinions/reactions to themessages of these ads. On their face, they are humorous . :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
If this were a Windows forum I'd get slammed for saying this....

I actually find more truth than not in those ads.

People are disgusted with Vista and many have downgraded. In
fact, companies like Dell went back to offering XP because their
customers didn't want Vista.

Windows PCs do come installed with lots of bloatware, hence the
famous ad with the very fat PC guy.

Out of the box, Macs are far more functional with their installed
software than PCs are. This was stressed in a few of those ads.

PCs are subjected to far more viruses and blue screen crashes
than Macs are. Another issue stressed in those ads.

Apple may be slightly over exaggerating Windows faults, but I
think for most of us that are Mac owners ourselves, we know that
those ads aren't that far-fetched after all.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
I remember seeing the security guy ad ("cancel or allow") and laughing my butt off but then thinking that it couldn't really be that way.

Then a guy came into my work and was trying to connect his Vista-running laptop to our totally open, totally unsecured wireless network. Some kind of security feature kept telling him that he should not do such a reckless thing, and that if he wanted to do it he'd better turn off that security feature. He attempted to shut off the security feature and it told him that it was very dangerous to do that and that he should not. He persisted. After several attempts, the computer admonished him for being so uncaring about his security, but let him do it. Success! But then after thirty seconds he got a massive warning that SOMEONE HAD JUST SHUT OFF THAT SECURITY FEATURE! WAS IT HIM? He told the computer that it was. The computer told him that it was dangerous to shut it off, and he said that it was okay. So, everything's good, right? Nope -- he had to put up with a popup every minute reminding him that he was a moron for turning off that security feature.

I would never have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself. If any of you ever played the role playing game Paranoia, it reminded me of The Computer from Paranoia.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Aaron,

That advertisement was spot on.

At least in the beta copy of Vista that I used, there were
tons of security warnings that popped up at every move.
I think there was an outcry about them from the beta testers
so I am not sure that the final release of Vista still had as
many --- but that Mac ad was not far fetched at all.

Users who are viewing this thread