I'm a believer! Lp's really do sound better!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by DEAN DE FURIA, Apr 9, 2002.

1. Bob Segno

Bob Segno Agent

Thanks for the tip on acousticsounds, Rachael. I've also had good luck on E-bay,especially sealed albums.

2. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    Up to about 5 years ago an outfit in Phoenix I think offered these for around 16k. And dunno how it translated sound..but it would ignore 99.99% of clicks and pops.

Never heard anything recorded from it tho.

I also recall one time Eastwood main squeeze Sandra Locke had his jazz LP's restored using laser turntables and digital manipulation for his birthday.

3. JaleelK

JaleelK Second Unit

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

It all comes clear, pun intended.

Jaleel, I received your private communication, and I've reviewed this thread for the first time in more than twenty-four hours.

There's no problem with debating the issue of which sounds better--vinyl disc or compact disc--as I see that is what this thread is about, despite its being started by a devoted follower of vinyl.

I think the problem people are having--and I'm sorry, everyone, for pausing the conversation this way--is the tone in which you're contributing to the issue. A better approach would have been to quote my post as you did, and then preface your remarks with something to the effect--and this is only an example--"Yes, I understand, but..." See what I mean? It's all in the approach!

So, consider your opinion duly noted and continue in the discussion, bearing in mind the pro-vinyl nature of the thread itself.

As for me, I would dearly love for SACD of DVD-Audio to live up to the hype. Eventually, they might. But the airiness and the transient attacks I've heard in the best vinyl recordings still best the garden-variety CD when heard on the best equipment possible.

But I prefer the convenience of an optical disc.

Also, I did mention the problem with inner-groove distortion--which is unavoidable.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jack, thanks for jumping in here. Much appreciated.

6. DEAN DE FURIA

DEAN DE FURIA Stunt Coordinator

Let's face it, CD's are much more convenient and more durable, easier to carry and for non-critical listening, sound pretty good.

Vinyl, on the other hand, damages quickly, can't be played in a car, requires pretty good equipment to sound good and gets dirty.

BUT, there is something about seeing the record spin, that gentle THUNK when the need hits, the "air" around the playback, the whole visual thing.

Can LP's sound better? Well, I think so, but I started the thread.

The bottom line for me: It's fun to have both, and SACD and DVD-A.

I like playing with all the formats.

So, again I'll say, go buy a turntable and some used vinyl and have some FUN!

7. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

8. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom

9. Mark_E_Smith

Mark_E_Smith Second Unit

Why are there no more electorstatic panels? I would have thought with the advent of really good subwoofers and cheap clean power amps that they would be much more popular. Could it be that they show the limitations of the cd?

10. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

11. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

12. Bob Segno

Bob Segno Agent

Bob L. I agree with you. In a "nutshell", all the different formats have their own unique sound, AND pros and cons. Bob

13. Ross L

Ross L Auditioning

Just have to throw in my 2 cents worth. [​IMG]
    Back in the 60's when my hearing was at it's peak, LP's ruled and CD's didn't exist. Today LP's still rule for 60's music as far as I'm concerned because they involke memories from those times better than CD's do.
    When I first hear "The Association's Greatest Hits" on CD, I wasn't sure if they were the original recordings or not. I later decided they were but somehow sounded different. I came to the conclusion that the difference was in the medium and not in the recording. The LP sounded better to me Because the music sounded like I remembered. Not better but truer, if this makes any sense.
    Today I enjoy both formats as I have a large LP collection that hasn't made it to CD and maybe never will. I've never thought one format was better than the other but always acknowledged there was a difference.

14. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom

15. Mattias_ka

Mattias_ka Supporting Actor

Well, this tread is something for me...

16. Mattias_ka

Mattias_ka Supporting Actor

BTW, buy and listen to the GREAT reissues of Led zeppelin's records now released on 180g vinyl by classic's records they sound SUPERB much better than any CD version I have heard. BTW, the Page was involved in this project, he is a vinyl kind of guy too.[​IMG]

17. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

Vinyl does have that sound we all remember. It's not that it sounds better or worse than a CD; it's the character of the music. Some LPs I have are absolutly silent, even with headphones. You don't hear the pops and clicks.

18. John Knowles

John Knowles Stunt Coordinator

John
    I'm one of ones who had vinyl growing up (late 70s-mid 80s), dropped it when I got my first CD player (1985), and rediscovered it in the early 90s (at the end of college). When I was younger, I had a cheap, mass-market Japanese table, never got the cartridge properly set up (never knew there was anything more to it than eyeballing it to make it straight), and probably used a Discwasher once in a while to wipe off the crap that accumulated.

So, when CDs came along, they were a real improvement over my mediocre analog rig and life was good. When I was away at college, a friend dragged me to a high end audio dealer and had me listen to a well set-up table (a Linn LP12) playing through a good system--very revealing. He played a few songs from one of the early Simon&Garfunkel lps (an old 60's vinatage copy) and I couldn't believe how great it sounded. I know the dollar amount between what I'd owned and the Linn system was WAY different, but it showed me what the analog lp was capable of. So after that, I found a 70s Thorens table in a pawn shop for $30, picked up a decent Shure cartridge, and with the help of my friend, got the cartridge set up properly, the suspension set right, and the VTA correct. It sounded pretty damn good--not a Linn, but miles ahead of the crap I was using before. This rig served me well until recently when I upgraded to a new Rega 3 and new cartridge. The new rig sounds even better.

All along I have continued to buy CDs and think they can sound quite decent. They are really convenient and don't have to be pampered like vinyl does. But when I want to actually sit down and just listen to music, more often than not, I go for the vinyl. Surface noise tends to be less of an issue with better hardware (assuming the record is clean and undamaged) and if the vinyl and stylus is kept clean, there is very little, if any wear with repeated plays. There will always be some noise and it can simply come down to how tolerant one is to hearing it (it doesn't bother me, but I grew up listening to it)

If you want examples of vinyl sounding better, try comparing original UK vinyl of the Beatles catalog to the CDs. No contest, IMO. I have yet to hear SACD or DVD-A in a good system, but I'm more than willing to give it a shot. And of course, there's the easy point of having that great lp-sized artwork--sometimes it's worth it just for that.

19. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

20. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Rachael said