What's new

If you need help picking between the X-Box and the Gamecube (long) (1 Viewer)

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
Well, I played Halo over the weekend at my friends house (he doesn't mind running up credit card bills when he already has $30,000 in debt...I have none and would like to keep it that way) and I agree that the game LOOKS amazing. Unfortunately, I quickly grew tired of the gameplay. It just wasn't very much fun to play to me. DOA3 really isn't much better than DOA2:HC. So far the only absolutely must-have game on Gamecube or Xbox is Rogue Squadron 2. I hope to get a Gamecube next weekend (if I can find one...yeah right) and probably an Xbox when Silent Hill 2 comes out. I don't know, just personal taste I guess, but right now the Gamecube is lagging behind the Xbox, because Rogue Squadron 2 and Super Monkey Ball are awesome! I didn't think I'd like Super Monkey Ball, but that game is TOUGH!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
but right now the Gamecube is lagging behind the Gamecube
I'll take it you meant the X-Box was behind the GameCube.

From everything that I've read or heard from people, either in reviews or in person, the launch lineups for both consoles is not very even. Its been almost a week after the X-Box launch, and AFAIK the only thing keeping people playing Halo is if they didn't beat it yet or the multiplayer with a LAN (because playing it without one supposedly sucks). If the game needs that feature to keep people playing it, then it lowers my expectations for when I actually get it.

I'm not trying to sound fanboyish or say the XB sucks, its just that everything I hear now contradicts what I heard before. More and more people are getting bored with the XB launch games and more and more people are loving Rogue Leader and Super Monkey Ball.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Playing Halo without a LAN connection "supposedly sucks"??? Yeah, right. :rolleyes: That's why it consistently gets extremely high ratings from all sorts of gaming websites, including the anti-Xbox Gamespot (9.7!).
Look, Morgan, you want to know why people try to keep you out of their threads? It's because of idiotic comments like that. "I heard that...such-and-such...". Totally unverifiable, blanket condemnations based on supposed "rumors" that you hear (and what do you expect on Nintendo websites???).
Halo most assuredly does not "suck"...it's one of the most highly regarded console FPS' ever. No one I know is getting "tired of it", that's for damn sure. Damn, I am so sick of reading your illogical and unsupported rants, kid. And to try to cover yourself by saying "...I don't mean to sound like a fanboy..." you know what? You do. Because that's what fanboys say. "Oh, I've never even seen an Xbox in person, but everyone I talk to says it sucks and the controller sucks and the graphics aren't that good and the games are boring, yadda yadda yadda...".
Just play your damn Gamecube and leave us alone, will you? You bought it, you like it, great, now shut up and play it.

Kelly Scott Rickards

Stunt Coordinator
HEH!
Yeah, not only doesn't Halo suck, but it got ALL PERFECT TENS in this months EGM (only the sixth game to EVER do this in the magazine's decade+ long history, along with the original MGS, GT2, Zelda 64, Soul Calibur and GT3)beating out the odds-on favorite Game of the Year rival, MGS2 (got all 9.5s)in a DIRECT fight...DOH! ;)
Link Removed
Hey Morgan, I "hear" Halo is the best console game released sofar this year ;)

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
Yes, I meant to say the Xbox is lagging behind the Gamecube...but I wish I hadn't had to be corrected by Morgan.

I certainly didn't say Halo sucks. I don't like it but that doesn't mean everyone else can't like it. I just thought I'd give one person's different perspective. My tastes are usually different from everyone else's anyway. I didn't like the first MGS, but loved the second one.

On the other hand, I personally could care less what review EGM or any other magazine gives a game. If I listened to them I never would have bought Silent Hill 2, which turned out to be my second favorite game of all time.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
I'm opening a Cube Storage Facility, guaranteed to keep your Nintendo GameCube free of dust for at least one year. Incredibly, this is a free service, and I'll pay for shipping. Just send your poor, neglected GameCube to me.

Canadian branch now open! We also accept Xbox and PS2!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
First of all, and I don't mean to be mean by this, but you must be idiots to not see that I was talking about Halo's multiplayer mode, not its single player. I've said before that I have no doubt the game is good, so why would I say now that it sucks if you don't have a LAN? That would be illogical, so you would have to assume I am talking about the multiplayer mode.

Second, I don't have a GameCube.

Third, I have seen and played an X-Box. I liked it. The controller surprised me in how nice it actually was. The graphics were good. I never said the console sucked.

Fourth, HALO is imperfect. That is pretty much all I've been saying.

Fifth, Compare $350 for HALO and an X-Box to $350 for a GameCube, extra controller, memory card, and 2 GCN games, and I think you will see which is the better deal, especially if those two games are Super Monkey Ball and Rogue Leader.

Sixth, HALO got perfect 10s, but how much you wanna bet the people who reviewed it are huge FPS fans and don't play many good FPS games for consoles? Only one person reviews the game, so its not exactly representing the opinions of everyone at the website.

Seventh, I have shown evidence of a lack of interest in the X-Box or its games before by showing URLs with quotes from people saying such things as HALO is not that great (and these are people who have played it for a long time and beaten it) or that the GCN launch games is favored more over the X-Box launch games. Its not like I just make this stuff up and try to pass it by as fact.

Eighth, you have your X-Box. Enjoy it. When I get mine, I will enjoy it, too.

Ninth, I don't visit Nintendo fanboy websites. They are annoying.

Get your facts straight before you say anything insulting me. That just lowers yourself below what you think I am.

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
I just want everyone to know that there is an ignore user option in VBulletin. Use it, it's great. I find myself not getting as aggrevated anymore.

Andrew

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Morgan,

We all know how you feel about the XBox. However, in your attempt at looking like you know everything, you seem to have left a LOT of things out of the "Big Equation".

1) The XBox has Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. That's a BIG, BIG deal for a lot of people. I'm willing to bet that more people have DD and DTS than Dolby Pro-Logic II. Hell, my Denon 5800 doesn't even have it yet (and if it does now, nobody told me).

2) Ripping your own CDs is a great improvement to gameplay. I really don't like some of the off-the-shelf crap that you get from games sometimes. I'd rather listen to Van Halen.

3) Internet connectivity. It's already happening. We've found out that the XBox uses port 3074 over TCP/IP, and the one leader in this has been successful getting packets in AND out of an XBox, so we might get network play, albeit hacked, by this weekend. It will be a sample of what we'll get from the XBox in the future.

4) Don't start on this "Halo in imperfect" crap. No game is going to be seen by EVERYONE as "perfect". Zelda 64 was "perfect" to me, but others hated it. Halo is as good as it can be. I'm half way through it and I love the game so far. Then again, I might be biased being a Marathon fan (which is what Halo is based on).

5) The "better deal", again, is subjective. You talk about two GC games. Well, I bought SIX XBox games. I have no interest in anything except Rogue Leader and MAYBE (and this is a very big MAYBE) Super Monkey Ball. The name stinks, but it might grow on me. You neglect to mention that the XBox doesn't need a memory card so you really can't factor that into the equation. I bought my GameCube, played Rogue Leader for a while, and went back to Halo, DOA3, and PGR. Sorry, but the "killer app" for the GC doesn't really hold my interest as much as I thought it would, and I'm the biggest Star Wars fan there is. You say HALO is flawed? RL is flawed too (don't get me started on the crashes we've been seeing...they're real you know). My biggest gripe with RL is that it's still the same game we had for the N64. To me, RL is to the GC what you think DOA3 is to the XBox. You might see a better "Rogue Squadron", but I'm not really seeing it yet, except for the graphics; the gameplay's the same.

6) Your so called "evidence" about the XBox vs. GC is again, subjective. EGM gave the nod to the XBox in a head-to-head comparison. Hmm...you didn't seem to mention that.

7) You never mentioned ONCE that deciding on a console depends on a person's taste in the games.

I'm not using this as a "Gamecube sucks" post, or an "XBox rules" post, only to even out the score when you posted what you did above. It really was anti-Xbox and you're obviously not being open-minded about it.

Read the article by EGM this month. They go IN DEPTH with both platforms. It's a perfect example of how to rate two competing platforms without an obvious bias.

I really think that you should stop using this forum to convince yourself you're making the right decision in not buying an XBox. I have a PS2, XBox, and GC. I like them all for different reasons; the GC a little less due to its lackluster launch titles, but I'm sure that will get better in time.

Mike

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Once again another thread degenerates because of Morgan. What a shock!!!! Again I recommend the ignore list!!:D
Also, Mods, You guys do a good job and I truly appreciate what you guys go through moderating a forum like this but something needs to be done about this. Every thread in these sections of the forum turns into this crap. There is always one constant....Morgan! I dont want the videogames forums closed as I enjoy posting and talking to others about one of our favorite hobbies. I saw the post by Steven Simons about getting this stuff under control or closing the videogames forums. Again I dont want that to happen, but this is getting ridiculous.

Emil Stoica

Second Unit
Romier,

Thanks for the tip on Oddworld. Picked it up and am having a blast with it. Although I still am playing Halo and PGR more.

Mods, I agree with Romier's post on controling Morgan. I did not start this thread to bash anyone. I wanted to share my opinion on the 2 systems since I OWN THEM BOTH. Are you listening Morgan? Unless you own them, I do not think you are qualified to have input here. I was trying to help others. You coming in here and saying 'I don't own a Gamecube' disqualifies you from dicussing this issue. Either get them both and post a review like I did or just be quiet. Please Mods do not talk this are away. All the other game forums are full of juvenile posts and this one is our last hope.

Rich Allen

Second Unit
Real Name
Rich Allen
Watch it guys. He's a teenager which means he has no concept of logic, which means he won't get logical arguments. And, he thinks he knows everything, especially when he doesn't have a clue.
All are like that and we were too, at the time. ;)
Most of the time they do it for attention. Ignore him and he'll go away.

JasonRH

Second Unit
AndyVX,
How does the ignore feature work? - you eliminate posts only from a specific person? - if so, cool.
Kelly,
Not taking sides at all (in fact I'm on your side) :) but saying that EGM gave a game perfect 10's doesn't mean much to me and probably many others. Their opinion is certainly not a golen rule, as they (or, more correctly, the person who happens to review a specific game), can be just as biased toward a system or game genre as all of the rest of us. Just a thought.
p.s. I love Halo and I do think it's as close to perfect as can be so don't take this as a subtle way to degrade Halo or yourself, just don't put too much weight on "official" reviews :)

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Emil,

Glad to hear you are enjoying Oddworld. I am about halfway through the game and am still suprised to see how fun this game is. I am trying to track down the first two titles on the PS1 as I never played them and overlooked them before (What a mistake!!)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The X-Box is more powerful. I never doubted that.

DoA3 is like DoA2:H with better graphics. The leap from Rogue Squadron to Rogue Leader was actually a greater one. RL is very similar to RS, but RS was pretty good, so why should they change it? To tell the truth, DoA2 was too much of a button masher and was too easy. They didn't even change the difficulty that much or improve the gameplay, so its just like playing DoA2:H ver. 2. I would rather go with RL. My opinion. You have yours, I have mine.

Ripping CDs is cool. Never said it wasn't.

Internet connectivity is not here yet. I could say the GameCube will have it, too, but it doesn't right now.

Halo is imperfect. So is every other game ever made.

I was talking about money when I said the GCN/second controller/memory card/game was better than just an X-Box. Yes, you get more with the X-Box, but you need to have DSL/cable/LAN to use the ethernet, plus for the price of just an X-Box, you could get a GameCube and 6 memory cards. It might not be a Hard Drive's worth, but its more than enough for the launch.

EGM gave the X-Box the win because 6 people out of 11 preferred it (they were game reviewers). A lot of the 6 people who chose it also said that they chose it without thinking about the price and just comparing the launch games. Had they played the games released between the launch and Christmas, I seriously doubt their opinions would be the same.

Deciding on which console to buy does depend on a person's taste in games. I've said that before, maybe not in this thread.

I have read the EGM article. I own it. I read it more than once. I read the entire issue more than once. What I got from it was that the people who chose the GameCube were very happy about the long term investment while the people who chose the X-Box were excited about HALO, DoA3, and Munch, and didn't say anything about the future games.

The GCN might not be good right now, but given a month, I think it will be in second place, right behind the PS2. So what if the launch games aren't good? The X-Box has only one good original game while the GameCube has 2 (Super Monkey Ball and Luigi, and while Luigi is a spinoff of Mario, its not part of a series and doesn't have the same gameplay style, so it is original). By Christmas, the GCN will have a lot of good games, original or not. The X-Box will still be running on its launch titles.

I know a lot of you think I'm annoying, but if I post anything in a thread about X-Box, whether good or bad, its someone else who says something like "here comes Morgan to ruin it" and then it degenerates. I post things that "I heard" because I want to know if they are true or not. If I know something as fact, I say that it is fact. If I hear something, I make sure you know I heard it so you can tell me if its true or not. Just because I prefer the GameCube over the X-Box, even though I don't own them, doesn't mean that everything I say is going to be against the X-Box. Just because I don't own one doesn't mean I should only say good things about it.

Todd Harlan

Agent
Morgan you have been ignored :)
I am enjoying my XBOX....that is all that matters!!
I will enjoy my sons GC when Santa drops it off (good excuse to get another console in the house :D ).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks