What's new

If You Haven't Yet, Make Sure To See This FIlm... (1 Viewer)

Brian Bunn

Second Unit
...Of Mice And Men (1992). I was browsing through the DVD section at Best Buy yesterday and was pleasantly surprised to see one copy of Of Mice And Men sitting there all by its lonesome. I quickly snatched it up. Didn't even realize it was out on DVD yet. It was one I was waiting for to hit DVD. Guess I haven't been keeping up to date on what's out on DVD to well these days.

The first time I watched this movie on video tape back in 1993 I thought it was something special. Gary Sinise directed a fabulous, simple, beautiful movie in Of Mice And Men. Just finished watching the DVD. You can have all the special effects extravaganza type movies, or the "fancy dancy" movies that try so hard to be different it is painful (Moulin Rouge, for example). Give me the simple little movies like Of Mice And Men, The Shawshank Redemption, The Man In The Moon, or A Perfect World any day of the week over them. Or period films like Howard's End, Sense And Sensibility, or The Remains Of The Day. But I am getting a bit off topic.

If by some minor miracle you have never seen Of Mice And Men I urge you to do so. The acting is first rate and the movie is one of the better cinematic adaptations of a literary classic ever made. This is Gary Sinise's best acting to date, and Malkovich does his usual outstanding job as the "mentally challenged" Lennie.

If you can fight back the tears at the end then you are a better man than I am! Even though you know what's coming, it is still very hard not to get a bit teary eyed, mainly because it is so well acted throughout, and by the end you really feel for these characters. I guess that is the true measure of the quality of a film.

Yep, give me the simple little movies. They're the ones that stick with you long after the credits fade.

See Of Mice And Men.

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
I didn't even know this was on DVD... Thanks!

I loved the Steinbeck novel, yet I marginally preferred the 1939 version over this one. Nevertheless, John Malkovich was terrific as Lennie.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Brian, check out the 1939 version starring Burgess Meredith and Lon Chaney Jr. - a seemingly forgotten gem of a movie!

Paul W

Second Unit
Yes, but is the 1939 version out on DVD? I saw it on (TCM/AMC?) a few years back. Wonderful movie.

Lewis_W

Agent
I also have to agree. I studied the book for my GCSE exams a couple of years ago. I loved the book and when I finally watched the film I was stunned. A great little film with superb acting all round.
I'm definately going to order this very soon!
Lewis.
Audio Excellence

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, the movie made me regret the fact that I didn't finish the book when I started reading it a few years ago. Great movie. I think there might already be a movie for Cannery Row, if there is it needs to be on DVD. If there isn't, they need to make one!

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
Yes, I enjoyed this. I watched this in English class. Indeed, John M. played a good Lennie but didn't come across as a giant man.
I would've liked to see Lennie's hallucinations as in the book instead of him hearing his aunt talk (is that how it happened?). Some things were rendered which I didn't like..

Also, another great book turn movie is Harrison Bergeron, Sean Astin (sp?) is in it (one of the hobbits in LOTR). Is this title on DVD? This was a great movie, lots of rendering as well :frowning:.
-Bert

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Yes, the 1939 version is out on DVD. I have a review of it here. It's a tough call between these two versions as both have their strengths and weaknesses.
Get both, then it doesn't matter. :)

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
I think there might already be a movie for Cannery Row, if there is it needs to be on DVD. If there isn't, they need to make one!
There is, and it is absolutely fantastic! Nick Nolte's best movie, as far as I'm concerned. I would LOVE to have Cannery Row on DVD, but I don't believe it is on anyone's release slate yet.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Brian--
Because of your review, I picked up the Sinise/Malkovich DVD Of Mice and Men. I saw it for $12.99 at my local BJs Wholesale Club (the ONLY copy!) and figured I couldn't go wrong.
I'm glad I did! :D It was very well done and completely enjoyable. Both Sinise and Malkovich were excellent as was Ray Walston, too!
Thanks for posting about it! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks