What's new

if there was no more new tv/films? (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Regulus said:
It seems the biggest reasons some people don't "Cut the Cord" are:

1. Sports Junkies

2. News Junkies

3. Spouse is either 1 or 2.
Steve...O said:
You can add:

4. Female spouse likes reality TV (anything with "real" or "top" in the title) :)

To answer the OP question: Yes, my collection plus Netflix rentals would keep me happy.
Add to those:

5. Female spouse likes HGTV, Lifetime TV, and other cable channels aimed at women.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Like others in this thread, I've got more than enough to keep me happy for the rest of my life (I'm 49) if current TV ended today. The only reason I have Direct TV is for the national news, sports, Doctor Who and a few distractions like shows on Animal Planet ("Finding Bigfoot" is my guilty pleasure). But all that could disappear tomorrow and my collection would keep me entertained for the remainder of my days.

Gary "I'm definitely in the camp that thinks current TV is getting worse - I don't follow any major network TV series right now" O.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Steve...O said:
You can add:

4. Female spouse likes reality TV (anything with "real" or "top" in the title) :)

To answer the OP question: Yes, my collection plus Netflix rentals would keep me happy.
I amended my post to accommodate that situation.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Like many people here I have enough films and TV shows on tape or disc to last me the rest of my life (and longer!). And enough books to read if the VCRs and DVD players give out. The big issue for me is making sure I have working machines to play the discs and tapes on. I have brand new spare machines (VCRs/DVD/DVD region-free) in storage for just that purpose.

The only new TV shows I watch regularly are "Pokemon" and "Power Rangers"--to make my inner child happy, of course. ;)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I watch a few new shows because they are there but rarely ever buy one. I see maybe a dozen new movies a year and like 2-3 of them so it would not bother me that much if all production stopped.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Randy Korstick said:
I watch a few new shows because they are there but rarely ever buy one.
Similar sentiments here too.

In practice, I find that once I have seen most or all of the episodes of the current season of a show, I don't have as much interest in buying the bluray or dvd set. (This is independent of whether the show is spectacular and written well).

In recent times, I really like current shows like Orphan Black, Continuum, the revived Hawaii Five-0, The Americans, etc ... but I have very little to no interest in buying the bluray/dvd sets.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I have enough TV shows and movies on DVD/BR to last the rest of my life (I'm 48). I cut the cable cord nearly 2 years ago and I haven't missed it once. I do like some recent TV shows (Breaking Bad, Game Of Thrones, Mad Men, the new Dallas) and still watch an occassional recent movie (Wolf Of Wall Street, 12 Years A Slave), but if Hollywood quit producing new product I wouldn't sweat it at all.

There's still TONS of old stuff that I'd like to get and even if that dried-up I could easily re-watch my favorites again and again. Hell, just another run through Dark Shadows would take a couple of years, at least!

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
I have more movies and TV shows on disc and DVRs than I can watch this lifetime if I live to be 100. I am finding new TV shows and movies I like enough to watch before I watch something I already have but if nothing new is created after today, I will still be happy with what I have to watch. Homeland, The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, House of Cards, Downton Abbey and a few other current series have my interest today.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I have no plans to cut myself off from something new at any point in my life but if the Hollywood well dried up today, I'm sure I could mine the last century of movies and the last 60-ish years of TV to remain entertained for the rest of my days.

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
First, for the most part and with few exceptions, reality shows are a showcase for the nation's white trash. After a few hours of Toddlers and Tiaras, Honey Boo Boo, the Bachelor/Bachelorette, and Pitbulls and Parolees you almost want to call a terrorist strike against this country-and I am very patriotic.

Then there are the crime shows. In the decades of the 50's, 60's, and 70's police officers looked like they actually could be officers. Today they are all anorexic twenty year old models in designer clothes. We are supposed to believe they are highly trained and experienced professionals. Take CSI for example. I think Quincy is much more believable as a medical examiner even though no ME leads an investigation. Also he cared for people. The CSI shows have an ever growing disturbing content which is accompanied by investigators who seem apathetic and unshaken by the most violent and sick scenarios. I guess we are supposed to think they are so hardened by their work that they don't react like the average person. I think this effect makes them seem unnatural and unsympathetic.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Of the only still-in-production TV shows I still care about, Mad Men will be over soon and Modern Family is closer to the end of its life than the beginning. Futurama had a good run, but it's gone now, and everything they need to say has been said. Breaking Bad was as great as they said, and hopefully Better Call Saul will be a worthwhile endeavor. If it wasn't for those and Orange is the New Black, I'd be watching practically nothing on TV.

Considering how many new movies are remakes of old ones (and almost NEVER improve on the originals, while the very, very few that do don't make up for the vast majority that don't), it's like Hollywood is slowly eating itself.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
MatthewA said:
Considering how many new movies are remakes of old ones (and almost NEVER improve on the originals, while the very, very few that do don't make up for the vast majority that don't), it's like Hollywood is slowly eating itself.
That it is. I have a feeling the whole TV and Movie industry is going to CRASH. Subscription Prices continue to climb (At double the rate of inflation) while the quality of what's being shown continues to head south. A Business that does this doesn't last too long. July 2 marks 7 1/2 years of not subscribing to Pay-TV, and from what little of it i see I'm glad what I did. I take pride in being one of the original "Cord Cutters". Remember that TV is NOT a necessity, if someone is forced to choose between eating or watching TV it'd a "No-Brainer" as to what will be chosen.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I cut the cord a few years back and when I was down to watching about 5 channels out of however many the count was then up to. Like many here, I have plenty of DVDs and a few Blurays to keep me busy for the rest of my life. I still hope more 50s and 60s television is released and I'll pick up most of it if that happens. Having grown up in a house with a TV in the living room and 3 networks, I missed a lot of shows from back in the day. Now, I can discover what I missed from the 50s and 60s from the DVDs and Blurays of the various shows.
I haven't watched a current tv series since I don't know when - I just don't have any interest in the newer stuff. When I had satellite I mostly watched Encore Westerns' older movies and tv shows, TCM, TVLand when it was still good, History Channel, and news, weather and sports. Now I watch news and weather and keep up with sports over the internet. I watch my collection of DVDs and Blurays for entertainment. I watch what I want, when I want to. I never had it so good.

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
Regulus said:
That it is. I have a feeling the whole TV and Movie industry is going to CRASH. Subscription Prices continue to climb (At double the rate of inflation) while the quality of what's being shown continues to head south. A Business that does this doesn't last too long. July 2 marks 7 1/2 years of not subscribing to Pay-TV, and from what little of it i see I'm glad what I did. I take pride in being one of the original "Cord Cutters". Remember that TV is NOT a necessity, if someone is forced to choose between eating or watching TV it'd a "No-Brainer" as to what will be chosen.
I haven't had any pay tv since 1993. It was cut off to save expenses and we never really missed it. The only thing I miss is sports, but I still watch what I can on network TV. Since I now have DVDs, Me-TV, and Antenna TV, I miss it even less now.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Regulus said:
Tell me about it. Streaming was supposed to be better and offer more and better choices, but my internet service is getting more expensive while the quality of the service is not increasing accordingly. If I like anything enough to watch it more than once, I will always want to own a physical copy of it.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
MatthewA said:
Tell me about it. Streaming was supposed to be better and offer more and better choices, but my internet service is getting more expensive while the quality of the service is not increasing accordingly. If I like anything enough to watch it more than once, I will always want to own a physical copy of it.
Not only that but frequently I can purchase the physical product and if I don't like it sell it with a final cost about the same as a rental for that viewing.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
BobO'Link said:
Not only that but frequently I can purchase the physical product and if I don't like it sell it with a final cost about the same as a rental for that viewing.
These days most of my shopping for DVDs (And VHS Tapes) happens each weekend while I go "Yard/Garage Saleing". Some of my greatest bargains have been out of ones yard or garage sale. A couple of years ago I was able to acquire the four recent Star Trek Series for a wallet-busting $100.00! (someone beat me to "The Original Series"-I caved in and bought STTOS on Blue-Ray for $120.00 (The DVD Version was $150.00 at the time) as a "Xmas Present from Me to Myself"). A week later I came home with nearly every Movie Toho Studios released (That's Godzilla and Friends for those of you in Rio Linda!) along with over a dozen Old-Time Movie Serials. (I consider these Serials to be a forerunner to TV shows). Last year I found VHS copies of The Mouse on the Mayflower, Animaloympics and Plymouth Adventure for 50 cents each. :biggrin:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Regulus said:
These days most of my shopping for DVDs (And VHS Tapes) happens each weekend while I go "Yard/Garage Saleing". Some of my greatest bargains have been out of ones yard or garage sale.

Many years ago I use to do the garage sale, church rummage, book fair, and thrift shop thing.

After a few years of it, I came to the realizaton that I was hardly watching/reading any of the stuff I was buying. 99% of these purchases ended up collecting dust on my bookshelves.

These days I do a lot more specific precise disc purchases after doing some prior "research" (typically online), instead of going on scattershot "fishing expeditions" at local sales of various kinds.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
jcroy said:
These days I do a lot more specific precise disc purchases after doing some prior "research" (typically online), instead of going on scattershot "fishing expeditions" at local sales of various kinds.
On the other hand, I like "The thrill of the chase" You never know what you'll find when you visit each sale. Sometimes I'l spend two days and find nothing that tickles you're fancy, other times I'll be heading home (On my Motor Scooter) with both the storage compartment and my "Milk Carton" basket stuffed to the gills with DVDs and VHS and holding a box full of even more goodies between my knees. When you're hot you're hot, when you're not you're not! :biggrin:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks