What's new

If the security detector at the store beeps on your way out ... (1 Viewer)

LewB

Screenwriter
I bought 2 CDs at the local BB. The cashier was eating something that had peanut butter in it (I know because I could smell it), and chatted with his buddy about what he was doing after work while I was at the register. This put me in a mood to start. When I left, I set off the security beeper because the idiot didn't de-magnetized both CDs.
I heard it and just kept walking into the mall. I finally stopped about 50ft away from the store after the guy at the door yelled 'sir, sir..' a million times. I made him come to me instead of walking back to him. I just stood there, gave him the bag with the credit card receipt in it (and an attitude). He walked back to the store, then back to me (still 50 feet away) with the bag after he checked the receipt against the contents.
I then said F* it and went back in (setting off the alarm again) and returned the 2 CDs.

My question is: Did I have to stop at all ? Is setting off the alarm enough of a reason to stop dead and return to the store ?

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Well if you didn't stop they would assume the worse. Can you blame them?

So the cashier screwed up. They checked and realized you weren't shoplifting. These things happen...

Why did you return the discs? Were you having a bad day?

--
H

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Usually when i set off the alarm i stop, and they say go ahead and wave me on. Maybe they know me, or maybe they just saw me leave from the cash register. I hardly ever have my bag looked at. But i always stop if it goes off. The guy working security is just doing his job even if the guy on the register isn't. The guy not giving you the time of day at the register is what pissed you off, and i can understand that. To me thats as bad as someone on a cell phone at the register not giving the clerk the time of day. I always give people the respect id want even if they don't return the favor.

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
Sounds like it was more inconvenient for you to return the CDs than simply stop and let the guy peek into your bag. Customer service isn't perfect all the time. I was in Home Depot buying paint this weekend and the guy was totally snotty towards me, answering questions with an attitude and didn't even have the decency to make eye contact. But you know what? I had a long day and wanted to get the paint to make my life easier. So F him!

Now you need to spend more time to find your CDs elsewhere. You gotta choose your battles and maybe this one was important enough to you to forgo the purchase.

We all have our breaking points and pet peeves so I don't fault you for doing what you thought was necessary.

LewB

Screenwriter

Yeah, pretty much.

Plus one of the blue shirts tried explaining to my why I needed a $1K Monster power conditioner. My response was 'to protect and enhance one of your $400 receivers?'

I went across the street and got the CDs at Circuit City.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
So taking maybe two minutes of your time to have them check the contents is more bothersome than having to go through the bother of returning them, and then going to yet another store where the same thing might happen? That seems.....difficult to understand.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
More than that, they had already cleared him when he decided to go back in and return them, rather than just turning around and going home.

I guess it was a really bad day :)

--
H

Scott_Sch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Best Buy really is awful with demagnitizing merchandise. I can't tell you how many times they just wave me through the sensors at their store, but then every other freakin store I go into, I buzz on the way in and on the way out. It really is kind of annoying. I've had other stores demagnitize BB merchandise because they get so tired of hearing everybody set off the alarm when they enter the store (I guess they just look for the BB bag). Oh well...its a good attention grabber at least.

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor
LewB I am right with you on this one an apparently against the grain with everyone else. I find that half the time I purchase something with a beeper on it they don't demagnetize it correctly causing the alarm to go off. Now I have never taken anything and I hate looking like a thief at the front of a store while the alarm is ringing. After several years of this driving me crazy I decided to say F@*k it and make a game out of it. Now I intentionally start walking faster as soon as I approach the exit to a store where I have just purchased something I think might set off the alarm. If the alarm goes off I just keep walking. I know I didn't steal anything and I keep walking and I keep walking fast. Eventually someone will run up to me and want to check my receipt which I will show them but it always makes me laugh.

My main point: Instead of this being an annoyance in my life it has now become rather fun. Kind of like chewing gum in school. The gum really isn't that great. Its the point that you are doing something that you aren't really suppose to be doing.

John Perry

Grip
This irritates me to no end as well. I'm not a thief, but I have to be treated like one?

They have no legal right to stop you. If they try to physically stop you, you can sue them.

If this happens to me I also keep walking, I have yet to stop for anyone outside the store.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
RobertR,
Normally we don't agree on much, but I'm right here with you on this one.

This type of thing happens to me quite a bit. No big deal in the grand scheme of things. They check it, see I bought it, I move on. Woooo 10 seconds off my life. Big Deal.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Well, you are talking about a store that once tried to have people arrested for buying some kind of computer video card on sale. BB isn't exactly run by the zoo's best trained monkeys.

LewB

Screenwriter

My plan to no longer shop there started with the return which was a weak attempt on my part to not reward their incompetence.

Jerry Almeida

Second Unit
Real Name
Jerry Almeida

Are you sure about that? If you're leaving a store you're usually stepping out into a parking lot which is still their property. They can stop whomever they want on their property, especially if they have probable cause. I'd say an alarm going off is probable cause. Not sure how much of a lawsuit you'd have unless they actually used some kind of excessive violence against you. Just my take.

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit
In order for loss prevention associates to stop a patron they must see you take something, follow you (not losing you for a moment) and watch you walk out the door with it. Now, they can do that with cameras too, and that makes it easier to prosecute.

Now, if they fail to meet those requirements you have no legal obligation to stop for them. If they then try to restrain you, then you can certainly sue them for assault. If they actual restrain you (walmart LP carries handcuffs for unrulies) then you can sue them and have them thrown in jail for unlawful restraint or some such thing. EDIT: as far as 'still on their property', well yeah you are. but if you visit my house I can't make you stay there, can I? Nor can I force you to open your bags or perform a strip search. All they can do then is charge you with tresspassing if you don't submit to their search, but they have to warn you first. So, if I walk out and they think I stole something and didn't see me, the best they can do is say, "don't come around here any more".

I too hate the doors at local places. Such as at walmart or bjs when they have somebody check your recipt on the way out to MAKE SURE that YOU aren't a THIEF. What?!? A few weeks ago I told my fiance that if the line is long, I'm not waiting... if they have a problem with that then we'll figure it out.

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
I never stop when I set off the alarm. I paid for the merchandise, I have my receipt. They can yell at me all they want, I'm not stopping and walking back in the store. If they run and catch up to me I'll let them check my bag. It's happened to me plenty of times at BB and Walmart. At BB they chase me down and check the receipt. I've never had any one chase me down at Walmart.

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor
I stop and look around, if someone comes over then i will stop and let the look. Usually I am waved on through, although since I am usually checking my receipt anyway its never been a hassle.

LewB

Screenwriter
That was sort of my take on the whole deal.
There is no sign (that I know of), saying you agree to be stopped just by having been on their property. Certainly nothing at the sensors.
The fact that the sensors go off so frequently due to employee errors or whatever else sort of makes them less than a 100% effective method of determining that you are a crook. I would think that there would be the need for more proof.
I think they just figure that the beeping and a 'loss prevention associate' (woo, big name) will make you stop dead in your tracks and allow them to have their way with you.

Users who are viewing this thread