What's new

If I buy a NAD T762, should I sell my amp? (1 Viewer)

GaryMil

Stunt Coordinator
I'm seriously considering purchasing either a NAD T752 or T762(as soon as they start shipping). I'm currently running a Denon 2801 into a Sherbourn 5/1500a. My speakers are B&W CDM7 se(mains), CDMC (center)and B&W Rock Solids for rears. I have a SVS 25-31 PCI sub.

I've listened to the T752 thru PSB towers at the store. Tried all types of music from Led Zeppelin to the Diana Krall. The sound quality of the music was outstanding. The ht was also very good. We AB'ed with an Onkyo(don't remember which one, but was at least a mid to higher end one) and the NAD blew it away.

I've been reading some incredible things regarding the amp section on the NADs. Does anybody think the Sherbourn becomes relatively unnecessary? I know the Sherbourn is a dedicated amp, and powerwise, blows the NAD away, but I'm wondering if its going to be real noticable. The sale of the Sherbourn would pretty much pay for the whole T762, then I can move the Denon upstairs and set-up a inexpensive hometheater for the kids, maybe try out those Fluance speakers for $199.

If I decide to keep the sherbourn then I'm back to plan 'A' which is get the T752. But I have Rockustic Pavaroccis speakers in my backyard and I need a 'B' speakers option which the T752 does not have.

A possible solution is as follows, please let me know if it makes sense:

I would of course run all 5 channels from the sherbourn. This would free-up the speaker connections on the T752 and I can use the main connections to hookup the Rockustics. But everytime I used the system the whole neighborhood would hear it blasting from my backyard. To solve this little issue, I was thinking of getting a speaker switch box. I'd plug the Rockustics into the 'A' portion of the speaker box and keep the box on 'B' (which would be unused), when I don't want the Rockustics on, otherwise I would just select 'A'. I might lose a little sound quality, but its the backyard, so thats not very important.

So any ideas, comments, suggestions or advice?

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
the price of the 752 is what 700-800? why not keep the parasound and look at the outlaw 950...im sure the outlaw 950+ parasound would blow away the 762...

Rich

Martin Jiang

Agent
I would never sell sherbourn, because you probably can get the same amount of money any time you want. What if after t762, some other 10 channel format appears? You will have to sell the t762 then and at that time it probably worth a lot less.

In fact if you already have the sherbourn, I would look for a preamp now. Like the outlaw 950. For the same amount of money, you have some upgradability

GaryMil

Stunt Coordinator
I've seriously looked at the Outlaw 950. As a matter of fact I was on the list for quite sometime and didn't pull the trigger when it was my turn. I've often wondered if the sound quality of the Outlaw is superior to the NAD. Plus with the NAD I do get 5 (t752) or 6(t762) more amps. If I get the Outlaw then I'm forced to buy a two channel amp for the Rockustics.
The lowest I've seen the NAD T752 is $689. The 950 is $899. The NAD is not your typical receiver. The sound quality is amazing.
I appreciate the responses. :). Anybody else?

Jonathan M

Second Unit
Hi there Gary,
Another option for the A/B speaker issue is ofcourse the fact that the T752 has a pre out/main in loop for the center and front channel amps. Thus, all you need is a line level switch box with pass through. This MAY be cheaper to procure, and would do the same thing. I personally would go the speaker switch way though, as I'd build it myself. (Just disconnecting one of the speaker wires of each speaker will do it)
As for the sound quality of the Outlaw vs. NAD, I can't say as I have not heard either. I can however say that I'd be very surprised if the NAD was unable to perform up to the Outlaws standards, based on the other NAD units I've had. NAD produces solid stuff, and doesn't hide what goes in to there gear. Their amps are reknowned (Even amoung the DIYers) as being very well put together, and with the DAC's etc. that the 752 uses, you can't really go wrong. And besides, the NAD looks better :)

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
Peter Tribeman, who was a huge player in NAD's development and success, works for Outlaw...

On top of that, NAD's reliability has been very questionable of late.

If it were me, I would buy the outlaw, and dig up some money for a cheap, probably used 2 channel amp.

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks