Idiocracy 1-9-2007 (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
ok so i have this dvd.

first thing i have to mention is the menu.
if anyone has ever seen the old game show Press Your Luck
and remembers the game board, now you have an idea of what the menu looks like.

there is stuff blinking and moviing all over the place.

i challenge you to guess were you have stopped on the grid.

just watching the movie now so i'll stop by later with thoughts on the movie.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well i finished the movie.

as a movie let me just say that i know there are mike judge fans out there and this is for them.
movie was just not good.

it started off alittle funny and the plot somewhat even unique.

but the whole thi ng just falls apart about half way through and loses the funny.

i only recommend for couriosity sake.

i dont know the exact history, but apparently fox refused to release this theatrically or extremely limited.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
The history is interesting. After Office Space became such a huge cult classic with sales on DVD going through the roof, Fox and Judge negotiated a deal to make another movie, even after they no-lubed Judge on Office Space. Management had shifted a little, so that was apparently enough to convince Judge things would be a little different.

Word is they slashed the budget on him, demanded re-cuts, released it theatrically after only being 2/3rds finished, the theatrical run was something like 100 theaters for 2 weeks, and then dumped it to DVD.

Here's a link to a story on the movie that has links to Time magazine, amongst others, detailing the long strange trip Idiocracy took to the screen.

http://sergioleoneifr.blogspot.com/2...-for-dumb.html

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I read the script for the studio I work for about 3 years ago. It was absolutely hilarious. I wish I'd kept a copy of it (then called "3001").

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
I thought about seeing this in the theatres, it played for 1 showing a day for a week, but I hadn't seen any trailers for it, so I saw The Prestige instead. I really enjoyed Office Space and I love King of the Hill, maybe I'll wait to see this when the price comes down. I still want to see this despite your review, Tony.

Adam Santangelo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Santangelo
haha, "no-lubed" is my new favourite word. Thanks, Robert.

I'll be renting this soon. I'm curious, and if I laugh a few times, it'll be better than most other comedies.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
I rented this and loved it. The funniest, most clever movie I've seen in a long, long time. You'll never think of Starbucks or lattes the same again.

Vincent

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I have to say this was a near-miss, but there's so much to like about the film and I laughed out loud more times than I can recall. It's no "Office Space", but there are at least a dozen highly quotable quotes.

Wilson was barely passable, and Maya Rudolph was terrible. Her entire part could have been cut without losing anything (except the hilarious lead-in with the defense dept guy infiltrating the pimp-world; oh yeah, and also "Upgrayedd").

I laughed almost constantly through the entire Hospital sequence, including Dr. Lexus's diagnosis ("says here you're fucked up, you talk like a fag, and your shit's all retarded"), the first meeting with President Camacho's cabinet (the "uniforms"!), and the description of the future language ("patois of hillbilly, valley girl, urban slang, and various grunts and gestures"). But, in the end, it felt like this was a great concept poorly realized, or perhaps that it had been recut, focus grouped, and ultimately defanged by a committee of the very sort of morons the film satirized. Nonetheless, I recommend at least a rental. Now, get lost, I'm 'batin.

This post was brought to you by Carl's, Jr.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
good points rich.

i agree the maya didint even need to be in the movie, pointless part.

the voice over was funny too.

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
I finally had some free time to sit down and relax tonight and decided to watch Idiocracy (which I had bought back on 1-9-07). Quite honestly, I thought this film was so absurd that it's genius. It is consistently funny, though not side splitting. It was enough to keep a smile on face for the entire run time, with outbursts of pure laughter every few minutes.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I'ts black humor, satirical. I thought it was hilarious. I read a sci fi short story like this once that I'm trying to track down with the help of a fellow htf-er. I'm bummed (!!) there weren't more extras. I'll have to look through the link up above.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.