What's new

Identify This '60s car? (1 Viewer)

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
xmascar.jpg

Can anyone identify this car? I think it's circa 1966.

Thanks!!

Barry

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Yeah, definitely a 1966. The "500" was the top of the line trim level for that year. I don't believe the "R/T" was available until 1967 but you could get the 426 Hemi in any trim level in '66. Probably too much information but I'm a big classic car guy... :)

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Thanks so much! I was hoping to hear from you car guys! :)

I have another question for you, since you're the experts: what were the top five most popular American cars in 1966? The Mustang I'm sure was at the top of the list.

Last edited:

Stan

Senior HTF Member

I have another question for you, since you're the experts: what were the top five most popular American cars in 1966? The Mustang I'm sure was at the top of the list.

Maybe the Ford Galaxie 500? Just kidding. :lol:

First car I owned. It came from my grandparents since my father refused to let me drive his '72 Thunderbird.

Mileage wasn't a consideration in that era, I think it got about 8 miles a gallon. And when you're a broke high school kid, it killed the budget. Plus it was a four door, not real cool at any age :wave-hello:

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene

Maybe the Ford Galaxie 500? Just kidding. :lol:

First car I owned. It came from my grandparents since my father refused to let me drive his '72 Thunderbird.

Mileage wasn't a consideration in that era, I think it got about 8 miles a gallon. And when you're a broke high school kid, it killed the budget. Plus it was a four door, not real cool at any age :wave-hello:

A bit late to the party but a quick look through my Standard Catalog Of American Cars - 1946 thru 1975 (and I do mean a quick look) shows the Chevy Impala/Caprice at 1.2 million, Ford Galaxy at 1.035 million, the Mustang at 607,500, the Chevy Malibu at 375,000 and the Ford Fairlane at 325,000 units sold in 1966. So, the un-cool Galaxy was the second most popular car in 1966. Who'd a thunk!

That book is out of print but any true car guy should find a copy. Enormous amount of info in it. Fun for the whole family! :dancing-banana-04: O.K. got a bit carried away there :blush:.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
A bit late to the party but a quick look through my Standard Catalog Of American Cars - 1946 thru 1975 (and I do mean a quick look) shows the Chevy Impala/Caprice at 1.2 million, Ford Galaxy at 1.035 million, the Mustang at 607,500, the Chevy Malibu at 375,000 and the Ford Fairlane at 325,000 units sold in 1966. So, the un-cool Galaxy was the second most popular car in 1966. Who'd a thunk!

That book is out of print but any true car guy should find a copy. Enormous amount of info in it. Fun for the whole family! :dancing-banana-04: O.K. got a bit carried away there :blush:.

Over a million Ford Galaxy's in '66? Wow, that's incredible. I always felt like I was some old fuddy-duddy driving down the road, but there were obviously a lot of us. It was embarrassing, but still a lot of fond memories from those early driving years.

Way, way off topic, but one of my earliest memories was driving my high school buddies to McDonald's for those awful green shakes they sell around St. Patrick's day. Another pathetic image, the summer before high school, we move to a house two blocks away from school. Great, so much for being the cool kid with a car when I can just walk across the street for classes.

To this day, I still only buy two-door coupes. Will never own a four-door again :D

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Over a million Ford Galaxy's in '66? Wow, that's incredible. I always felt like I was some old fuddy-duddy driving down the road, but there were obviously a lot of us. It was embarrassing, but still a lot of fond memories from those early driving years.

Way, way off topic, but one of my earliest memories was driving my high school buddies to McDonald's for those awful green shakes they sell around St. Patrick's day. Another pathetic image, the summer before high school, we move to a house two blocks away from school. Great, so much for being the cool kid with a car when I can just walk across the street for classes.

To this day, I still only buy two-door coupes. Will never own a four-door again :D

My older brother had a '63 Galaxy 500XL but it was a two-door hard-top. When I was in high school (mid '70's) I swore I'd never own a four-door or a car with hub caps. Well, I've owned two cars with hub caps but both were two-doors, and two four-door cars but both had stock aluminum or chrome rims. Makes me wonder what else I've done that I swore I would never do. More then a few things I bet.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
My older brother had a '63 Galaxy 500XL but it was a two-door hard-top. When I was in high school (mid '70's) I swore I'd never own a four-door or a car with hub caps. Well, I've owned two cars with hub caps but both were two-doors, and two four-door cars but both had stock aluminum or chrome rims. Makes me wonder what else I've done that I swore I would never do. More then a few things I bet.

Hub caps are also banished, just nice aluminum wheels now. Except when I put on my winter, studded tires (yes, one of those evil people who wear down the roads, but I cruise right on past the people stuck on icy, snowy roads). Major pain, mounted on steel rims, I'd swear they weigh 150 lbs. each, and having a front wheel drive car, have to use four. But better than having my tires removed and remounted every year.

Honestly don't remember what I had on my old '66 Galaxy 500, but I do remember they were whitewall tires. That certainly ages me :eek:

Quite sure plenty of things I swore I would never do that I've failed at. But guaranteed, a four-door car will never happen, and no more Fords. I inherited a 1984 Crown Victoria from my grandparents.Thankfully not injured, but thankfully the car was totaled when somebody ran a red light and broad-sided me in '98. For being such a ridiculously huge car, it ended up in this curved kind of shape, couldn't even open the doors, had to climb out a window.

Now for some ridiculous, off-topic, but true trivia. Crash happened right in front of an Arby's. An ambulance was parked in front, the EMTs witnessed the entire thing, I was fine but had to sign a release form of some sort saying I declined treatment. Go into the Arby's to use the phone and start cleaning things up. My insurance agent was there having lunch! Saw the entire thing and knew Farmer's would be making some big payouts. To make it even worse, had just put on new tires the day before. The collision pushed the car sideways, scraped one of the tires down so much it went flat, not that it mattered. The car was towed away and junked.

Last time I ever owned a four-door :D

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
If I was fine after a crash like that, I'd drive nothing BUT four-door Fords afterward!

Some friends of mine similarly came out OK following a horrible crash that totaled their car -- a Saturn. They swore they'd drive Saturns forever after that. So much for that idea!

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE

I'm learning a lot. :dance:

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I'm learning a lot. :dance:

I also have the Catalog of American Cars 1976-1999 and the Standard Catalog of Imported Cars 1946-1990. The internet's great but there's nothing like a good ol' book to finger through.

My two 4-doors cars were a 2001 Jaguar XJ8 which was recently replaced by a 2004 XJ8. My brother calls them "old man cars", but I'm getting to be an old man! And theyre both quicker 0-60 then a Mustang GT and their interiors are nicer then my livingroom, except for the stereos of course!

My hubcap cars were a 1963 Mercury Meteor 2-door hardtop, cooler then you think (O.K. I lied), a 1970 Fiat 124 Spyder, more fun then you think (not lyin') and my current 450sl in my avatar. Might just be the perfect car. Rides nice, handles nice, overhead cam, aluminum head, computer controlled port fuel injection (all years ahead of it's time), 4-wheel disc brakes and better looking then anything else out there, except maybe a '65 Mustang Gt Fastback. But, for some reason they're just not worth that much. Go figure.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks