What's new

Ideas wanted! Starting new media room soon (1 Viewer)

BPStovall

Agent
Real Name
Ben
I have a B&W asw 650. Will be hard to find a matching one since it is older. I also have def tech towers with 12" subs. just not sure which way to go. Thought about putting sub in back and run lfe to it and using other lfe and split to each tower. Any suggestions. Really don't want to buy 2 new ones.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by BPStovall

What is the difference between riser rated, in wall rated, and this Cat 6 Bulk Bare Copper Ethernet Network Cable STP, Solid, In-Wall Rated (CMG), 550MHz, 24AWG - Blue . All from monoprice.com

Riser rated is safe to run in ducting. If there is a fire it wont give off toxic gasses that will kill you as the smoke spreads through your heating ducts. It is the most expensive and not needed for typical residential use. You do want CL2 or CL3 (in wall rated) since it isn't flammable and won't spread a fire between stud bays.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
BPStovall said:
I have a B&W asw 650. Will be hard to find a matching one since it is older. I also have def tech towers with 12" subs. just not sure which way to go. Thought about putting sub in back and run lfe to it and using other lfe and split to each tower. Any suggestions. Really don't want to buy 2 new ones.
Start with just the 12's in the Def Techs. If they meet your needs that's great. Then add in the B&W to see if it will even out the response. I also suggest plotting the in-room response with at least the PEQ spreadsheet or better yet, Room EQ Wizard. That guarantees great bass.

BPStovall

Agent
Real Name
Ben
I have 4 towers. My plan was to run one lfe to the sub and split the other to the front 2 towers. I also could run the back 2 off of the sub as slaves. Would you just hook up the 4 towers with no sub? I will probably pre-wire for 2 subs anyway if I don't like the sound. If I did that do you suggest in adjanct corners of the room?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'd use all 4 from your LFE output. Then add the B&W to the mix and see if it adds or takes away from the low end. I do suggest some type of room flattening EQ like the BFD or mini-DSP. That will make integration much easier.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
When you put a sub in a room, the room and speaker interact to give you a not-so-flat in room frequency response. Go to the Speaker and Sub section and read that long thread about the Klipsch sub. We cover all of that room stuff. If you don't have time, here's a summary. BFD - Short for Behringer Feedback Destroyer. Behringer is a German company known for their inexpensive pro-audio gear. This piece is exactly what it is named - it monitors the audio signal in a live performance and kills feedback when it detects it. When not in automatic mode, it is an awesome 12 band, digital parametric equalizer. I don't know who figured it out but it has been the go-to sub EQ for years. Mini-DSP - Short for mini digital signal processor. A Chinese company has started selling kits that have audio inputs, audio outputs and a plug to program it. The software allows you to use it like an EQ similar to the BFD as well as adding crossovers, filters, phase and other neat features. It's a DIY type thing that I'm just investigating. Both are more than adequate for tuning a sub or subs to the room. When I first installed my subs, they were a boomy mess. My system sounded like it needed 24" tires. After measuring the room response and EQing it flat, it is great. The subs don't call attention to themselves at all during normal listening. An acoustic bass sounds like an acoustic bass should. But when needed, an explosion will bring the house down. Not really but it has brought my wife screaming from the other end of the house. Good thing it was so loud that I was only seeing her mouth moving.

BPStovall

Agent
Real Name
Ben
Thanks. They don't seem too expensive, but how do you "tune" them. Is there a program to measure audio response or does it automatically adjust?? I'm a bit confused on how to tune a sub.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The first couple of pages cover the EQ setup - http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/312766/klipsch-sub-12-subwoofer

BPStovall

Agent
Real Name
Ben
Anyone have any ideas on an equipment rack. possibly a homemade one. Been looking online at ebay and craigs list but can't find what I need.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Recessed and angled? I'm not picturing what you're trying to accomplish. The box is recessed into the wall, and the plate that goes on it would be flush to the wall.

For bulky/unwieldy cables, there are wallplates like these that can be mounted using brackets like these which will allow virtually any sort of cable to be run.

If you're thinking something different, can you be a bit more descriptive?

BPStovall

Agent
Real Name
Ben
I did find the outlet I was looking for. here is a link. It allows you to mount a flat screen right behind the outlet and not worry about the plug sticking out. thanks for you help. those wall covers may be handy as well. http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp?item=12281&section=10346&minisite=10026

BPStovall

Agent
Real Name
Ben
I am starting my risers today and running my wires tomorrow. Got a question though. I was planning to place surround speakers at aprrox 6 feet from floor. Since my last row will be 12" higher should I go to 7' from floor with my rear surrounds or 5' and keep them level with side surrounds? thx guys.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'd put the side surrounds at 6' and the rear at 7' so they are the same distance away from their closest row.

BPStovall

Agent
Real Name
Ben
Quick question. I have a wii, but will want to have the module in a different location that the sensor. What kind of cable do I run to connect it if they will be 30' away. Also I don't have a xbox 360, but would be interested to know how I would connect the kinectx if we got one in the future. Thanks.

BPStovall

Agent
Real Name
Ben
Been busy lately and haven't had a chance to update pics. Sheetrockers will be through tomorrow. I will trim out the room hopefully this weekend. Any ideas on paint colors?[ATTACHMENT=195]2011-11-13_07-36-55_341.jpg (1,620k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT] [ATTACHMENT=196]2011-11-13_07-37-42_672.jpg (1,517k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

BPStovall

Agent
Real Name
Ben
Sorry about attachments for pics. Can't figure out how to post the actual picture. What do you guys use to blackout a room with window. Will probably go with shutters or blinds for cosmestics from the exterior viewing. I know that will not block all light. Any ideas? Luckily that room faces the east so after 12 it will not be as much of an issue I hope.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks