What's new

Ideas on non-expiring pre-paid cell phones? (1 Viewer)

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Other ideas:

1) cell phone rental (not sure of costs)
2) Free service - Data phone capable of doing VoIP (most newer phones can do this). However, you'd need to be in a wifi area.

Jason L.

Second Unit
....resurrecting old thread...

I ended up buying the RAZR pre-paid phone from T-Mobile as a simple cell phone a year ago. It has done the job well and certainly is inexpensive. However, it has one Achilles heel: texting

Texting is key in the world of dating. The basic numeric keypad just isn't cutting it. I feel like I am in a horse and buggy while cars are zipping around me.

Therefore, I need another phone. I am looking for help in what to buy. My needs:

1. Low Cost - For the moment I still don't use the phone that much. I either need another pre-paid phone or something low cost without a contract. I see the TV ads for MetroPCS where they have a low monthly unlimited voice, long distance, and text price [40$+ a month including taxes] without a contract.
2. It must be small enough that it can fit into my jeans pocket. The RAZR is good for this. I don't know how guys can fit a giant Iphone in their pocket without it being uncomfortable.
3. Decent battery life: I don't want to be charging this thing all the time.
4. Being able to text quickly.

Please let me know what suggestions you have.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I hate cell phones as well. My wife and I both have them but we literally only call each other or if we're in the car and we need to call our destination, etc.

I called AT&T and had our cell plan ($80 a month for the two phones) converted to their Go Phone plan and charged up each phone with $100 credit - good for 1 year. Each call is .25 a minute.

What's curious is that our cell bills said we used about 50 minutes a month each, which always seemed a little high to me. On this pay as you go plan I'm not using my phone any less and I can clearly see how many minutes I'm using and in four months I've used about 60 minutes (or $15).

Even if I don't use the full $100 we're still ahead over $700 a year.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I have a Go Phone. Buying $100 worth of credit gives you a gold membership, which means that from now on every you add minutes minutes to your account it gives you another year.

If you still have credits when you enter your 12th month add $10 to your account. That will give you another 12 months.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
^^^ Is that true? First I've heard of it, but, to be honest, finding information on GoPhone has been a little difficult. I just renewed mine but only for $25. This means I would need to renew again in 3 months, which is fine, however right now I have just short of $100 credit on my phone as it is. It'd be nice if I'm now good for the next year.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I have a Go Phone. Buying $100 worth of credit gives you a gold membership, which means that from now on every time you add minutes to your account it gives you another year.

That also applies to T-Mobile's pay-as-you-go plan. Of course, that may all change when they get sucked up by AT&T.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I know that if you add $100 worth of credit to your account that it qualifies you for a gold membership. I do not know if adding $25 to an account to an account which has $80 in reserve would give you a gold membership. I doubt it, because AT&T is trying to tempt people to make large contributions to their accounts.

Users who are viewing this thread