What's new

Idea for future TV on DVD sets (1 Viewer)

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I got my copy of the Flintstones: Season 1 last Friday, and so far, I'm about half-way through disc one (I'm rotating each episode with an episode of Scooby Doo). One thing I've noticed on both boxed sets is that the theme songs, while catchy and fun as always, get old after about three episodes.

My idea for TV on DVD sets is to insert a chapter break immediately following the theme song. If there's stuff before the theme song, you can watch that and once the theme song begins, you can just press "Skip" and get right into the show. Neither of these two boxed sets I mentioned include ANY chapter breaks, which is one of the biggest flaws in them--but I can ignore that, since when I sit down to watch an episode, I'm going to watch the whole thing, not just about 10 minutes and then finish it off later. I've tried fast-forwarding, but then I end up missing the first few seconds of the show and I have to rewind it, which ends up taking more time than watching the theme song.

I can live with this, it's no big deal--but it would be convenient to be able to skip theme songs over.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I agree with you. Chapter stops are preferred. The excellent Dick Van Dyke sets have them, but I'm watching the Gilligan set now and it doesn't. I do the fast forward thing because, as much as I love the song, it gets old if you're watching 2 or 3 shows at a time.

Steve

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
lack of chapters is something I complain about in my reviews if the set doesn't have them. The Star Trek sets, with the exception of Voyager S1, were frustrating because they would set them correctly most of the time, but not ALL the time so you hit "next" and are part way into the episode. Grrr!

Gord

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Count me among those that argree with this. I mean there are certain themes I love, but after hearing them 6 or 7 consecutive times, love turns to loathe.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Many sets already do this, which is great, but it should be an absolute standard. Stargate is a huge offender in this arena, but I have to have them!

Chris:L

Supporting Actor
I wouldn't mind hearing the theme of MacGyver over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over....

CraigAllen

Agent
I've been alternating between watching a disc of The Critic and Dilbert. Both sets have a chapter stop right after the opening song and credits. I like both themes a lot, but after a few times, I do skip over them. Too bad they didn't do this with the Hanna-Barbera sets.

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
I like the fact that they do include the intros unlike Spongebob on DVD except for the first episode but yeah, it would be much better if it gave you the choice to skip directly to the beginning.

Paul

MattGentry

Second Unit
Yeah, gonna have to chime in here too. Too few TV shows on DVD have well-done chapters.

Same thing happens to me. I love the theme songs of my favorite TV shows, but after a full season, it just gets to be too much.

Kai Zas

Second Unit
But if the do it, they have to do it right. Both TNG and DS9 had problems in this department. You'd skip the opening title only to notice you're three minutes into the show. Then you'd have to manually search back for the end of the credits. Only a couple of eps had this problem, the rest was okay. Probably just to keep you on your toes.

Shane_Anthony

Stunt Coordinator
SOAP had chapter stops as did Charlie's Angels season1

Agreed they should be mandataory on all tv shows

Rob Keil

Agent
Agreed. The M*A*S*H sets have chapters after the opening credits, and I use them often. It shoud be an industry standard as far as I am concerned.

Rob T

Screenwriter
Warner Bros. puts the chapter stops in their 1 hour shows, but not their half hour shows. :angry: :thumbsdown:

Columbia puts them in both. :emoji_thumbsup:

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
I listen to the theme song of THE SOPRANOS each and every time. No skipping necessary. I want to take a trip to NJ just to visit Pizzaland! LOL

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
Buffy does this, but has the problem where you sometimes find your self partway into the show. As I recall, not all seasons had the problem.

Angel does it and I don't recall any problems, but I'm not sure. We usually listen anyway because it sends our 1 year old into an hypnotic trance. For the older kid, it was The X-Files theme. It's funny to watch them just freeze and stare at the TV. :)

Babylon 5 does this and they nailed it!

MattHR

Screenwriter
I would like to have chapter stops at every point the commercials would have been, right after the opening titles and right before the end credits. I don't need a chapter listing or insert, just encoded chapters would be enough for me. Would this be asking too much?

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
Both The West Wing and Cheers have chapter stops right after the theme song. But then again who in their right mind would want to skip over the theme song for the West Wing?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Pizzaland is in Kearny, NJ, although I am not sure if it is a functioning pizza store. But I can assure you that if you came to New Jersey for pizza, you would not go home disappointed. You will find the best pizza anywhere in Hoboken-Jersey City-Bayonne, NJ.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks