What's new

ICT (Image Constraint Token) On New Titles? (1 Viewer)

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
I just read this sobering article from Sound & Vision and got a chill down my spine...

I wonder if any of the new, high profile Blu-ray software releases (i.e. Star Wars) will begin implementing the ICT "feature" which would limit component-video analog outputs to resolution no greater than SD interlace (480i or 576i). Can you imagine that kind of disclosure on the keep case artwork on the back of future Blu-ray titles?

While this does not affect everyone, the article makes reference to about 3 million affected sets. I personally have an older front projector setup with Stewart screen and would be affected.

With HDCP cracked, I hope this "feature" on software media never gets implemented and just fades into oblivion.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I too have a RPTV (Pioneer 533HD) that lacks HDMI inputs, and I do not intend to replace it any time soon. The only saving grace for similar users is that titles that do use the ICT will likely be identified pretty quickly, allowing those of us that find its use unacceptable to simply boycott those titles.

I suppose in the long run, a dwindling number of users that refuse to buy a given title is nothing that the studios will really care about, but what they may care about is the bad press among the enthusiast population that will go along with the decision to use the ICT.

I may be mistaken, but I thought I remember reading that ALL BluRay and HD-DVD (remember those?) players had to support the use of the ICT. I do not know of any mainstream studio that used it on any of their titles, but I thought the hardware was already in place. I suppose the population of HDMI capable displays is a lot bigger now than when BluRay and HD-DVD were duking it out, such that it would have been suicide for any studio to embrace ICT when many of their customers would be affected. I would expect that the numbers now are a lot different than they were then.

It will be interesting to see what studio has the biggest balls and tries to use it on a mainstream title. :)

Brian

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit
Originally Posted by Brian L It will be interesting to see what studio has the biggest balls and tries to use it on a mainstream title. :)

Disney is the only one who would be evil enough to do that. :D

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
The bigger problem is that, as of last week, electronics manufacturers are forbidden to make new players with HD component output - component resolution is limited to 480p.

And as of January 1, 2014, blu-ray players won’t be allowed to output anything via component at all.

Still, you can always pick up an HD Fury:

http://www.hdfury.com/

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
As long as my RPTV is alive, any media or device that cripples my ability to get 1080i playback on my set will not be purchased. On the bright side, this could save me thousands of dollars on machines and software.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jeff Ulmer

As long as my RPTV is alive, any media or device that cripples my ability to get 1080i playback on my set will not be purchased. On the bright side, this could save me thousands of dollars on machines and software.

My thoughts exactly. I am pretty sure that I will not suffer any health issues if I do not buy a given title. :)

I am very interested to see how the "No HD Component Output" rule plays out. I am curious if it pertains only to players that first went on sale after 1/1/11. Obviously there are a lot of players released before that date that will remain on sale. I personally just bought an Oppo 93 that was officially released for sale just before the new year. The manual does say that it supports the ICT (as have all players).

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks