What's new

I would love to see "Way Out" (1961 TV series) on DVD (1 Viewer)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by JeffT. /forum/thread/138394/i-would-love-to-see-way-out-1961-tv-series-on-dvd/30#post_3620449

Surely a show as distinctively unique and quality driven as WAY OUT! was will not disappear into a permanent limbo of inaccessibility.

Jeff T.
Considering the fact that the show hasn't been seen anywhere outside of a museum in 48 years, I would say it already has.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Originally Posted by Neil Brock /forum/thread/138394/i-would-love-to-see-way-out-1961-tv-series-on-dvd/30#post_3623303
Considering the fact that the show hasn't been seen anywhere outside of a museum in 48 years, I would say it already has.
Sad but true.

thegalaxybeing

Auditioning
Real Name
Dennis Pope
Well, 5 episodes have been seen. I have watchable copies. They are:

William & Mary
I heard you calling me
The Croaker
Dissolve to Black
Death Wish

I'd like to think the other episodes are stored somewhere (besides Paley Media). If they are truly the only ones who have them, it might be another 48 yrs. I have heard CBS has Soft Focus, False Face & Side Show. If true, they may have the rest too. I bet if there was enough interest (I E more people knew of this great show), it would've been at least considered for DVD. I would think most fans of shows like The Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, One Step Beyond, Thriller and perhaps Alfred Hitchcock Presents/Hour would find Way Out quite interesting.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
WAY OUT has been one of my holy grails since I was entranced and totally spooked by it at the tender age of eleven. I look forward to someday purchasing the series the moment it's released, may it please the gods.

cheshirecats

Auditioning
Real Name
Maryann Storms
I would also love to see Way Out. I remember the series very well. I especially liked the one called the Sisters. I remember it scared the life out of me especially when the sister said Louise is not at home. Scared me silly but i loved it.

cheshirecats

Auditioning
Real Name
Maryann Storms
I found 4 of the missing episodes of Way Out. dvdentertainmentonline was the web site that I went too. I believe it cost me something like $12.00
Don't know how the quality is but I ordered them anyway. To bad they didn't have the Sisters as that was one of my favorites. Hope this helps you a little.
Cheshirecats

thegalaxybeing

Auditioning
Real Name
Dennis Pope
I actually started a petition to get "Way Out " released. My targets being CBS/Paley Media Center. Although the rights may still belong to the Susskind estate, I think CBS still has some tapes and I know Paley Media Center has the entire series (apparently in both NY & LA)
Anyway, the link to the petition is:
http://petitionbureau.org/tvanthologywayout
If interested check it out.
Also, this link has some terrific reading about "Way Out" it contains a FilmFax Magazine article which has synapses' of all the episodes (WARNING: they do give the endings of the stories away)
Excellent "Way Out" history reading too.
http://www.roalddahlfans.com/tvshows/wayo.php
Have fun!

melvenuti

Auditioning
Real Name
mark rothkopf
to the lady(i think a lady- correct me if i`m wrong) who was 9 years old and would get chills hearing the route 66 music you must be my twin. i was also 9 years old and would be sitting there waiting for way out and the route 66 music would play just before way out as route 66 ended . thats over 50 years ago and if i hear that music now i get the same feeling. wow! i had to join and comment on that because i never thought i`d hear that sentiment expressed. it shows what an effect way out had i`d love to see a few of the others i remember other than the 5 available . i particularly remember side show and soft focus as being amazingly creepy

tricot42J

Auditioning
Real Name
Thomas A. Petillo
The David Susskind estate owns the rights to the "Way Out" TV series, as David Susskind was the producer of the show.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
There is another (worthy) discussion thread appeal in this forum for ROALD DAHL'S WAY OUT! (CBS 1961) but I will continue to perpertuate this more extensive one in the intent of attracting (professional) interest.
With the formidable talent behind this show and its aesthetic uniqueness from most conventional television fare and yet its undeniable similarity to avant garde dramatic anthologies like ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS, THE TWILIGHT ZONE, ONE STEP BEYOND, BORIS KARLOFF'S THRILLER, THE OUTER LIMITS, ROD SERLING'S NIGHT GALLERY and GHOST STORY AKA CIRCLE OF FEAR I would have thought-hoped that a quality DVD release would have manifested itself by now.
It can still be done and we WAY OUT! enthusiasts will just have to persevere in our determined resolve that a DVD release of this engaging and (decidedly) weird (now classic) show becomes a reality.
Jeff T.
:D

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
It's actually rather amazing how all of those shows have been so well served, from the first class TWILIGHT ZONE DVDs and Blu-rays to the lesser, but more than acceptable, releases of some of the others. Hell, even some of the public domain releases of ONE STEP BEYOND episodes, while in no way pristine like the first season CBS/Paramount set, are watchable.

Another post in support. I think Way Out is the show I've looked for, for the longest time, since the advent of home video. And yes, I remember watching the episodes, or most of them, on their original broadcast.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
The show originally aired off of 2-inch videotape, similar to the 6 Twilight Zone episodes that were shot on tape around the same time period. Those tape masters are long gone. What exists are a set of 16mm kinescopes in CBS vaults as well as transfers of those kinescopes which were made for the Paley Center. The show was produced by Talent Associates, David Susskind's company, however according to Library of Congress records, the copyrights are held by CBS. It could very well be a joint ownership situation.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Neil Brock said:
The show originally aired off of 2-inch videotape, similar to the 6 Twilight Zone episodes that were shot on tape around the same time period. Those tape masters are long gone. What exists are a set of 16mm kinescopes in CBS vaults as well as transfers of those kinescopes which were made for the Paley Center. The show was produced by Talent Associates, David Susskind's company, however according to Library of Congress records, the copyrights are held by CBS. It could very well be a joint ownership situation.
Sure would be nice to not only see it released, but for it to have the VidFIRE (er, LiveFEED) process applied to it to restore its original shot-on-tape look, but I doubt we'd be that lucky (heck, I doubt we'd even be lucky enough to get any sort of release).

PatrickGoodluck

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick
Neil Brock said:
Forgive my ignorance here but just wondering... if the show is indeed a joint ownership, what problems (if any) would that pose?
AndyMcKinney said:
Sure would be nice to not only see it released, but for it to have the VidFIRE (er, LiveFEED) process applied to it to restore its original shot-on-tape look, but I doubt we'd be that lucky (heck, I doubt we'd even be lucky enough to get any sort of release).
Sadly, you may be right. Although, I never envisaged something like "My Living Doll" would ever get an official release as it did this year, so you never know.

Sky Captain

Second Unit
Real Name
Neville Ross
PatrickGoodluck said:
Forgive my ignorance here but just wondering... if the show is indeed a joint ownership, what problems (if any) would that pose?
I'd say, 'None', since Get Smart's on DVD from Time Life and Warner Home Video, and it's mentioned on Wikipedia as being both a 'Television series by CBS Paramount Television' (TV syndication) and a 'Television series by Warner Bros. Television (home video rights and overall ownership through HBO, which is a part of Time Warner.) So, I hope that something could be ironed out to let Way Out be on DVD eventually.
Neil Brock said:
Of course, there's always the chance of this happening, too... which would be sad.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Neil Brock said:
So does anyone know the shape of the kinescope negatives?

PatrickGoodluck

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick
thegalaxybeing said:
I actually started a petition to get "Way Out " released. My targets being CBS/Paley Media Center. Although the rights may still belong to the Susskind estate, I think CBS still has some tapes and I know Paley Media Center has the entire series (apparently in both NY & LA)
Anyway, the link to the petition is:
http://petitionbureau.org/tvanthologywayout
If interested check it out.
Also, this link has some terrific reading about "Way Out" it contains a FilmFax Magazine article which has synapses' of all the episodes (WARNING: they do give the endings of the stories away)
Excellent "Way Out" history reading too.
http://www.roalddahlfans.com/tvshows/wayo.php
Have fun!
I'm having trouble getting connected to the petition link. Anyone else having the same problem?
Thanks Dennis for the link to the Roald Dahl fan site (no probs with this link). I misplaced that article from Filmfax so it was great to see it again.
Unfortunately I can't get to the Paley Center as I would love to see the rest of the series (other than the 5 episodes already mentioned in post #42). Would particularly be interested to see the Barry Morse episode "Soft Focus".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks