What's new

I will die in 7 days if I do not post this (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
I have to agree -- I preferred the remake over the original. Samara's back-story is more cohesive in the remake than the little bit we learn about Sadako in Ringu. Also, the remake brings in some elements from Ringu 2 that help clarify things. Hopefully future American productions of this series will come up with a better explanation than a visually transmitted small-pox like in the original novels.

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
Hopefully future American productions of this series will come up with a better explanation than a visually transmitted small-pox like in the original novels.
Yeah, when I found out what direction the sequels/prequels went in, I had no interest in them.

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Bridgeman
stay on topic, dammit
Topic?

There is one.

Only we don't know what it is.

A good Topical cream might help.

Cream's best album was "Disraeli Gears"

Was Richard Gere robbed of an oscar nom?

Steve Austin never really appreciated Oscar's input.

An input is a control.

"Laughter is the best form of birth control."

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
Well, I knew what Chris was talking about, and continues to talk about, even now; and I've said this before in another thread: that movie creeped me out so much that I will NOT be getting it! I saw the commercial last night for the DVD and wished I hadn't! :

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
The Metro Bus footage was absolutely amazing.

I believe my role was quite convincing.

Go David Lynch!

Regards,
Nathan

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm, well okay, maybe I'll go with a Ringu rent and mull over my Ring purchase. As I said, I'm on the fence with that one so maybe all the pro-talk will push me into picking it up.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
ok seriously,

anyone know if the score will be on CD anytime soon?
maybe it won't because it's faily short.

did you even realise there was a score before the credits rolled?

HANS ZIMMER.

very effective, without being heard...spooky.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
ok i just watched ringu.

while it was a little spooky, it sure wasnt very scary.

later tonight or tomorrow moring i'l watch ring to see which one i liked better.
i hope that one is scary.

LennyP

Supporting Actor
I now ask myself AGAIN - should I get the original?
YES - if only to possibly answer some questions about the plot in the remake.
NO. I've got Ring, Ring 2, and Ring 0, put them away till after seeing the US remake, and watched the first Ring the day after, and it's absolutely boring and much much worse.
If you want MORE, you watch the US version again, it has MUCH more to the story, the investigation, etc. Ringu sucks big time. I didn't even bother with sequel and prequel after that horrible thing. Another good example where the remake is better than the original.

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
I am involved with public transportation in Seattle, where the movie was filmed, and in the film you see one of our newer (1997) Metro buses driving around in the background. Nothing like seeing your own company vehicle on the big screen. I remember seeing a film crew filming in Seattle not long ago, so I may be in the film too.

For those not sure if they should buy the dvd, I would suggest resisting temptation and not doing so. As good as the mood/cinematography is (and it's great), and as attractive as Naomi Watts is, there are waaayyy too many problems with this movie. The origin of the video, some of the kid's lines, the opening scene, faulty storytelling, too much explanation, etc. etc.

As much as I like Naomi Watts, this is anything but a must-buy.

Rent it.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
For anyone who read my THE RING anticipation thread, you know how much I absolutely frickin' treasure both the remake and the original, so its pretty obvious I'm picking both of these DVDs up as soon as the store opens on Tuesday! The original is far from boring, and its why I anticipated the remake so very much. The other reason is because of Naomi Watts of course. :) Anyhow, I think I may have loved the remake a tad bit more, but if you ask me, both are five star classics of the horror genre, and I can't wait to get my bloody hands on them! Tuesday can't come soon enough!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks