What's new

I was robbed!! (1 Viewer)

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Son of a b----!! My car was broken into last night. They ended up stealing about a thousand dollars worth of stuff: my Alpine CD player -- the same one I asked on the car audio forum for advice on!! -- (but the stupid idiots left the box for the CD player with the serial number in the trunk), a bunch of CDs (at least 15 individuals) from my glove compartment, my pay stubs from work (unfortunately I was too lazy to do anything with them), golf clubs out of my trunk, and a vacuum cleaner that was given to me for my new apartment.

My main concern about this is what they can do with the information that's on my paystubs. I'm going to call my credit card companies tomorrow and find out what I can do.

I wasn't too pissed until I found out that I couldn't start my car this morning because they took the ignition cover off the car!! Now the possibility is that I'll have to get a new car (I wouldn't mind that...but I just don't have the money to afford it!)

Keep in mind, this wasn't just anywhere -- this was inside my *gated* apartment complex.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Darn...

Did you have an alarm?

If it's a gated community, then do you think it was somebody that lives there? Or maybe a friend of somebody that does. It would be nice if there was a camera on the area or a witness.

What kind of Car is it?

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
My roommates car was broken into last year, inside a gated community as well. Which means squat, since anyone can walk in, it's not a fort or anything. The incident was even caught on tape, but 1- the crappy security cameras make it nearly impossible to ID anyone 2- It was most likely an outsider anyway.

--
H

John Alvarez

Screenwriter
this was inside my *gated* apartment = false sense of security. I've had it happen to me too. My friends house in a multi million dollar secure communtiy did too. Real thieves are good at their job and none of the rent a cops or gates will keep them from thier rounds.

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Chris TsuTsui wrote:

Well, let's just say that I'm going to be much more careful about my stuff and personal information from now on. If I get a new car I'm going to get a highly sensitive alarm and a LoJack on it. Plus, I'm getting renters insurance today. At least I'll be able to replace the stuff in my apartment if it gets stolen.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor

Out of curiosity, I took a closer look at just what info my paystubs have on them. Lets see,,,,
Name
Address
Social Security #
Bank Name
Bank Account # (for direct deposit)
Employer
Ammount of last deposit

I think Im gonna pay a little more attention to my pay stubs from now on.

If you have direct deposit, you should call your bank as well and let them know the situation. Even if you don't have DD, its still not a bad idea to alert them.

Sorry to hear about this. Hopefully everything works out.

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Philip- At least this thread helped someone out!

I'm calling my bank this morning the minute they open. I'm also going to call my credit card companies as well. This is not looking very good!

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Robbery is a person-to-person crime. Purse snatching is a robbery, a mugging is a robbery. Taking property while you are not there is a burglary.

Minor difference, I got called on it by the police when I kept calling a string of burglaries "robberies."

Bummer, seriously.

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
In the purest sense of the word, burglary is entering a premise (or perhaps a car), at nightime with the intent to commit a felony (e.g., theft,robbery,larceny, murder etc.)

Robbery is theft with intimidation or force.

... and theft is taking something away from someone else that doesn't belong to you. Thus, depriving them of that property (so copyright violation isn't theft!)

That's my understanding, anyway.

But, according to the law, burglary doesn't have to be at night, anymore. And it's questionible if a car counts as a dwelling/building.

I'd guess in some ways a gated community can be easier. If there's no security driving around, there's less of a chance of someone just driving/walking by and seeing you.

If you have comphrehensive insurance for your car or renters insurance, it should recover some of your loss, at least.

Anyway... That sucks. I try to to leave much of value in my car. A few CD-Rs and a few books in the trunk... I'd rather not tempt anyone.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Like Bill, I only have some CD-Rs in my car and I put those under the arm-rest and take the faceplate off the CD player, just in case. Better safe than sorry.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
the guy got his belongings taken, and you're seriously lecturing him on the difference between rbbery and burglery? WTF?

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Philip_G wrote:

That stinks, Khoa! What happened?

Anyway, to everyone: luckily my pay stubs don't contain my social security number. They only contain my previous address (going to change my previous addy to my new one shortly). But, I am going to take steps to guard against the not-too-pleasant possibilities.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
The alarms now are pretty advanced and the car boards I visit have people doing all sorts of customized stuff. One guy said the burglars disabled his primary alarm in a parking garage while he was watching a movie but they triggered another hidden alarm which made his keychain vibrate.

He ran out to his car and saw his windows broken with guys yanking stuff out. He yelled and the burglars freaked out, piled into their SUV and sped off.

My advice:

Link

brentl

Senior HTF Member
"I test-drove the 2005 Honda Civic EX (127 horsepower vs 137 horsepower in the Neon) and my rental Dodge Neon knocks its arse straight out of the water."

Brian don't tell me you look at 0-60 as the defining factor?? The Civic is worlds above the Neon although I do like the honeycomb rims.

2000 Dodge Neon ES 8.8 16.9
1995 Honda Civic EX 8.8 16.8

Brent

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks