What's new

I want to feel the Bass. (1 Viewer)

theresme1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnny Le
I have a budget about $600 for a sub. I almost bought a Martin Logan Dynamo 700 for $700 last week. It sounded pretty good. I read on here that at that price I can get something a lot better than the ML. Would you guys please recommend me something that is medium size because I have a room of 10.5x30. I am looking for a sub that would produce tight clean bass where I can actually feel it. I have read SVS and HSU are good sub, but I can't listen to them because they are only sold online makes me a little nervous about ordering them. Please help me pick one.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I posted suggestions in your other thread.

You want to feel the bass. That thump feeling in your chest isn't really low bass. It's an upper bass that is usually bloated and associated with car audio. Quality home theater bass does not call attention to itself. I can watch a music video with an upright, acoustic bass and you would never know I have a sub. Proper calibration blends it seamlessly with the mains. Since I have overkill with dual 15's and each one getting 800w, I can recreate explosions in Terminator Salvation at reference levels while keeping distortion to a minimum and never stressing the system.

johng316

Agent
Real Name
John Gates
Johnny,

Being able to feel the bass..... ah yes, this is what attracted me to home theater so long ago.

It can be achieved in a variety of ways, but what is needed varies according to the cubic feet of volume in your room. Larger rooms require more "woofage."

There are several ways to stretch your dollar. You could build your own (cheapest, but not easily done). My preferred way is to buy from several of the good internet-only companies that are out there producing fine subs. SVS, HSU, and Elemental Designs are all worth looking at.

I have four (4) MFW-15 Subwoofers (from now-defunct AV123) in my home theater, and they ROCK THE HOUSE. These will ruffle your pantlegs at 25 hz and below and kick your chest at 40 hz. I have a lot of bass capacity, but this capacity cost about $2K.

Do some research and buy the highest quality output you get get for your budget.

Best of luck,

John

theresme1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnny Le
It comes down to SVS PC12-NSD or the HSU VTF-3 MK3. Which one should I get?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's like deciding between a loaded BMW and a loaded Mercedes. I'm going to pick the SVS by a nose on this one just because I think that Steven Ponte is the 2nd best sub designer on the planet.

theresme1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnny Le
Awesome, Robert! SVS it is. I just picked up the B&W center channel CM and the Martin Logan Motion 4 for my rear speakers. What do think about the ML for my rear? I got them for $500.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
ML is a respected brand. I've never heard them though. I am pretty limited on the number of speakers I have listened to. I know very few people locally that are into this hobby and the the stores just aren't set up for proper auditions. Plus I'm more of a DIY guy myself. I should have my new speakers finished sometime next week.

theresme1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnny Le
That is awesome! Post some pictures up when you're finished. What kind of speakers are you building?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Dayton 3's across the front - http://www.speakerbuilder.net/web_files/Projects/D3/dayton3.htm

I'll take a pic or 2 tomorrow. I'm still spraying clear on the left and right. I made a mistake on the center channel with different brand of clear and had to sand/repaint the entire speaker. I'm in the primer stage on that one.

theresme1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnny Le
That look awesome, Robert. Here are the are some picture of my room.

douglas-b

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Douglas Berry
I have 2 SVS's and I love them. I added a ASEQ-1 and for a total of $2000...my room rocks. SVS is hands down a great product and you will not be disapointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks