What's new

I turned on the AC tonight... (1 Viewer)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
The NYC report: Turned on the a/c last Monday as the high temp. set an April record.
Well, New York has been just plain weird this year. I was there over the weekend of April 6th (for my great aunt's 100th birthday) and we got snow flurries two out of the three days. I kept getting that odd feeling I always get on my rare forays to the north - that there's just something unnatural about the temperature outside being cooler than inside. :)
Of course, last weekend it was a lot hotter up there than it was here in south Florida. I expect that in August, but not in April. (In almost 13 years I have never experienced the kind of heat down here that New York can produce in August. It rarely gets much above 90 here. The day my sister got married, in August of '75, it was 104 in New York. Luckily our church had installed its first-ever air conditioning system that spring. As it was my sister cancelled plans to have her pictures taken outside at a botantical garden, opting to stand in the shade of some trees behind the church for the absolute minimum number of pictures necessary. :))
Regards,
Joe

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
It was 85 degrees out today... and that is near the water! I can't imagine what it must have been like in inland Florida!

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Aaargh... It's 34 degrees right now. AC? What AC?

And the effing maintenance has turned off the heaters in our dorm too.
Oh, I hated that one. It seemed every finals week in College the temp took a dive. We would wake up and it would be 20 degrees in the dorms. The heat was turned off and the classrooms would be running AC full time.

I actually had the AC on for three days this week, and now it's not reaching 40. So much for an early summer.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Daren: I used to be into amateur astronomy, too. Doesn't going back indoors so often during viewing sessions wreak havoc with your dark-adaptation? (I used to own a six-inch F8 Newtonian-mounted reflector with clock drive. Had some great Orthoscopic eyepieces.) JB

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
Ya'll are being wimps :D
When I was in grade school we didn't have A/C until I was 1/2 through 4th grade. Even better, the new system wasn't properly installed and caused a massive fire in the night.
We were out of school for 3 days due to that.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
We've had the AC on for a few weeks now, except for some evenings when it's been a little cooler. We finally bought a fan for the bedroom though, so hopefully we won't have to run the AC as much during the night.

/Mike

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Doesn't going back indoors so often during viewing sessions wreak havoc with your dark-adaptation?
I made myself some red goggles for that purpose Jack! Just get some untinted swimming goggles and some red plastic with adhesive backing. Cut to size and you're gold

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
Leo Hinze sez

.... Man, I've been in Texas too long.

Hey that sounds like a country song.

ding ding dingdeingding ding ding ding ding

Eye been in Texass too loeng

ding ding dingdingdingding ding ding ding

Eye had to start dating my goat cuz there ain't no womans

ding ding dingdingdingding ding ding ding ding ding

mah plastic wal-mart cowboy boots started meltin from thu heat

ding ding ding dingdingdingding ding ding ding ding

heeeee hawwwwwwwww

Who said I ain't got no talent.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
And I froze my butt off last night with temps diving back into the 40's and 50's. Sheesh! Time to turn up the pilot light on the furnace...

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
After some tossing and turning last night I finally gave in and turned on the AC. Man I'm turning into a wuss. Last year I didn't even have air conditioning until late July, just a swamp cooler whose purpose seemed only to make the house unbearably noisy and humid.

Pieter

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
We had the A/C running for a day last week when it got up to mid 90s, then 2 days ago it snowed..... And you all think you have strange weather :)

Thomas Reagan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas
While we're on the subject...
Can anyone recommend me a goor 5000-6000BTU A/C for my home theater? My old one is ready for the scrap heap.
The quieter the better, but a good EER would be nice too. ;)
Thos.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks