I think it's time for ol' Ahnuld to lay it down!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Troy LaMont, Aug 15, 2001.

1. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

I mean, he had a very successful career in the movie biz, but I think his time has passed. I haven't thoroughly enjoyed any of his movies since True Lies. Agreed that a couple of the ones thereafter were decent, but not like the Arnie of old, and some, just downright 'dessspicable' (Sylvester the Cat)
    I used to live for the next Schwarzenneger flick, now it's like, "Oh, he's got another one coming out, great [​IMG]"
    I don't even want to see Collateral Damage, it doesn't look like much of nothing. Hopefully, whoever co-stars in Terminator 3 will be the show stealer. Arnie's too old for this and it's showing.
    My $.02.
    Troy
    ------------------
    No touchy, No touchy (Kuzco)

2. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    I thought like this for a while too but then he did the 6th Day and I thought that he was back.
    ------------------
    Rich
    "A) You can never go too far and B) If I'm going to get busted it is NOT going to be by a guy like DAT."
    My Website

3. Ruben Zamora

Ruben Zamora Stunt Coordinator

There was nothing wrong with teh 6th Day or End of Days, I thought End of Days was one of his more mature action films. He did a good job. 6th Day was also ok. I dont think theres nothing wrong with awnulds recent flicks.
    ------------------
    Ruben Zamora
    Onkyo TX-575X
    Pioneer DV-333

4. Brian_J

Brian_J Second Unit

Actors are only as good as the script.
    Brian
    ------------------
    Zed's Dead Baby...

5. CoreyII

CoreyII Second Unit

I don't think age has anything to do with it, its just that Schwarzenegger isn't putting out good work.
    The problem is that he's so caught up in this family man routine, being married and having children, that he's abandoned the badass hero status he once held.
    He has definitely let this family man stature affect his work. I believe not too long ago Schwarzenegger said something to the effect that he didn't want to do anymore "R" rated films because of his children.
    Anyway, I hope True Lies 2 comes out and James Cameron can once again put Arnold on the map.

6. Steve Enemark

Steve Enemark Second Unit

Arnold's huge salary has effectively priced him out of any films with top-drawer directors. He could be making movies like CRUSADE, with Paul Verhoeven, or I AM LEGEND with Ridley Scott, but those movies are effectively over-budget before a single frame of film is shot.
    ------------------
    "Always make the audience suffer as much as possible" - Alfred Hitchcock

7. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

I'd have to agree with the initial poster; none of his latest movies were really on par with the 1988-1992 Ahnuld.
    End Of Days was really a stinker.

8. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

9. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

Yes, I'm saying that Kilmer breathed life into that part.

10. Rob_C

Rob_C Stunt Coordinator

I actually like 6th Day. End of Days to me was pure crap though.

11. Troy LaMont

The 6th Day was decent (I actually own the DVD), but it's nothing in comparison. It reminds me a little of Eraser (horrible) and that's not saying much.
    I just hope that once he's done with Term 3 and TL2 that he'll go ahead and put his retirement notification in.
    The funny thing is, it seems as if his roles are 'trying' to take a turn at more serious parts and less "I'll kick your ass..." roles. That's definitely not a good sign, I don't really think he has any future as a 'serious' actor.
    Troy
    ------------------
    No touchy, No touchy (Kuzco)

12. AJ Johnson

AJ Johnson Stunt Coordinator

I enjoyed End of Days but found 6th Day kind of boring. I've been saying for years that Schwarznegger needs to do Predator 3 and complete the trilogy and go out in style with a huge special effects action movie that we've come to expect from him.
    ------------------
    http://www.angelfire.com/sk/hitman1/AJtheatercover

13. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    I thought I read the Vin Diesel is "in" for T3? I guess he's going to play opposite Ahhhnold?
    I further agree that Arnold movies have steadily gone downhill since True Lies, with End of Days being a complete turd.
    BTW...how old is he nowdays?
    And...who is among the crop of new guys to replace Willis, Stallone, Schwartzenegger? Time is moving on and these guys, especially Sly, are on their way out; IMHO.
    ------------------
    "...it is an excellent day for an exorcism".

14. James Fucich

James Fucich Agent

I agree with AJ Johnson. Arnold must hook up with John McTiernan again and do Predator 3. Predator 2 was so so compared to the first Predator, which is one of the best all time action movies ever. What made Predator a great movie, is having a great director like McTiernan, a good story and great characters! And don't be afraid to make an R rated movie. True Lies 2 would be another great sequel, BUT ONLY with Arnold and Cameron!
    I'm looking forward to Collateral Damage.

15. Les Samuel

Les Samuel Stunt Coordinator

A bigger question is whether Hollywood would allow or attempt to find a black actor(s) to fill one of these shoes left by the Arnuld, Stallone or Willis. I don't mean Will Smith or IceCube although they are fine actors and can fill action roles well, they though do not have the tough guy persona. Before anyone says it IceCube is 5"6.
    Sadly Hollywood continues to look for the next Ben Affleck or Heath Ledger or Josh Hartnett, and I won't even get into the general lack of leading ladies for minorities. This is what Hollywood is feeding the public. I only wish they adopt MTV's model of integrating a wide variety of races.
    In years to come MTV maybe recognized as the pioneer that melted our cultures into one. Before you are a color you're human.

16. Hubert

Hubert Second Unit

Why should Arnold quit simply because some don't like his more recent movies? I agree that his movies as of late have not been as good, but if he should quit, then the majority of actors and actresses in Hollywood should quit. Just don't go to his movies anymore.

17. L. Anton Dencklau

L. Anton Dencklau Second Unit

Give Collateral Damage a chance guys! Not only is it R rated, but its directed by the guy who did The Fugitive and A Perfect Murder, which are both pretty solid movies. At the very least, it's bound to better than Proof of Life.

18. Kim Donald

Kim Donald Stunt Coordinator

Kim Donald Houde-Martens
    he's doing Energy Comericals here in Germany, TV ads and posters all over the place (also looks like he had some work done)
    kd

19. Troy LaMont

Hubert,

20. Ruben Zamora

Ruben Zamora Stunt Coordinator

I DONT THINK THERE are any ACTION stars right now that live up to Stallone , AWNULD, etc etc. IN fact, there are no new good action stars. THey're all crap. What sucks now is these actors are just seasonal. You'll only know them within the next 5 yrs. I mean c'mon, your not going to remember Gone In 60 Seconds or Fast and Furious years down the road, 10years from now those movies will be crap. At least we can still look at Awnulds flicks today as GREAT movies. Like Terminator, T2, Commando, Predator, Total Recall etc. etc. Awnuld has left us with GREAT films. I hope he continues, cause quite frankly, Today's action movies SUCK.
    ------------------
    Ruben Zamora
    Onkyo TX-575X
    Pioneer DV-333