What's new

I think it's time for ol' Ahnuld to lay it down! (1 Viewer)

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
I mean, he had a very successful career in the movie biz, but I think his time has passed. I haven't thoroughly enjoyed any of his movies since True Lies. Agreed that a couple of the ones thereafter were decent, but not like the Arnie of old, and some, just downright 'dessspicable' (Sylvester the Cat)
I used to live for the next Schwarzenneger flick, now it's like, "Oh, he's got another one coming out, great
rolleyes.gif
"
I don't even want to see Collateral Damage, it doesn't look like much of nothing. Hopefully, whoever co-stars in Terminator 3 will be the show stealer. Arnie's too old for this and it's showing.
My $.02.
Troy
------------------
No touchy, No touchy (Kuzco)

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
I thought like this for a while too but then he did the 6th Day and I thought that he was back.
------------------
Rich
"A) You can never go too far and B) If I'm going to get busted it is NOT going to be by a guy like DAT."
My Website

Ruben Zamora

Stunt Coordinator
There was nothing wrong with teh 6th Day or End of Days, I thought End of Days was one of his more mature action films. He did a good job. 6th Day was also ok. I dont think theres nothing wrong with awnulds recent flicks.
------------------
Ruben Zamora
Onkyo TX-575X
Pioneer DV-333

CoreyII

Second Unit
I don't think age has anything to do with it, its just that Schwarzenegger isn't putting out good work.
The problem is that he's so caught up in this family man routine, being married and having children, that he's abandoned the badass hero status he once held.
He has definitely let this family man stature affect his work. I believe not too long ago Schwarzenegger said something to the effect that he didn't want to do anymore "R" rated films because of his children.
Anyway, I hope True Lies 2 comes out and James Cameron can once again put Arnold on the map.

Steve Enemark

Second Unit
Arnold's huge salary has effectively priced him out of any films with top-drawer directors. He could be making movies like CRUSADE, with Paul Verhoeven, or I AM LEGEND with Ridley Scott, but those movies are effectively over-budget before a single frame of film is shot.
------------------
"Always make the audience suffer as much as possible" - Alfred Hitchcock

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
The 6th Day was decent (I actually own the DVD), but it's nothing in comparison. It reminds me a little of Eraser (horrible) and that's not saying much.
I just hope that once he's done with Term 3 and TL2 that he'll go ahead and put his retirement notification in.
The funny thing is, it seems as if his roles are 'trying' to take a turn at more serious parts and less "I'll kick your ass..." roles. That's definitely not a good sign, I don't really think he has any future as a 'serious' actor.
Troy
------------------

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I thought I read the Vin Diesel is "in" for T3? I guess he's going to play opposite Ahhhnold?
I further agree that Arnold movies have steadily gone downhill since True Lies, with End of Days being a complete turd.
BTW...how old is he nowdays?
And...who is among the crop of new guys to replace Willis, Stallone, Schwartzenegger? Time is moving on and these guys, especially Sly, are on their way out; IMHO.
------------------
"...it is an excellent day for an exorcism".

James Fucich

Agent
I agree with AJ Johnson. Arnold must hook up with John McTiernan again and do Predator 3. Predator 2 was so so compared to the first Predator, which is one of the best all time action movies ever. What made Predator a great movie, is having a great director like McTiernan, a good story and great characters! And don't be afraid to make an R rated movie. True Lies 2 would be another great sequel, BUT ONLY with Arnold and Cameron!
I'm looking forward to Collateral Damage.

Les Samuel

Stunt Coordinator
A bigger question is whether Hollywood would allow or attempt to find a black actor(s) to fill one of these shoes left by the Arnuld, Stallone or Willis. I don't mean Will Smith or IceCube although they are fine actors and can fill action roles well, they though do not have the tough guy persona. Before anyone says it IceCube is 5"6.
Sadly Hollywood continues to look for the next Ben Affleck or Heath Ledger or Josh Hartnett, and I won't even get into the general lack of leading ladies for minorities. This is what Hollywood is feeding the public. I only wish they adopt MTV's model of integrating a wide variety of races.
In years to come MTV maybe recognized as the pioneer that melted our cultures into one. Before you are a color you're human.

Hubert

Second Unit
Why should Arnold quit simply because some don't like his more recent movies? I agree that his movies as of late have not been as good, but if he should quit, then the majority of actors and actresses in Hollywood should quit. Just don't go to his movies anymore.

L. Anton Dencklau

Second Unit
Give Collateral Damage a chance guys! Not only is it R rated, but its directed by the guy who did The Fugitive and A Perfect Murder, which are both pretty solid movies. At the very least, it's bound to better than Proof of Life.

KDHM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kim Donald Houde-Martens
he's doing Energy Comericals here in Germany, TV ads and posters all over the place (also looks like he had some work done)
kd

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
Hubert,
Why should Arnold quit simply because some don't like his more recent movies? I agree that his movies as of late have not been as good, but if he should quit, then the majority of actors and actresses in Hollywood should quit. Just don't go to his movies anymore.
I think you can answer that question yourself. Why would anyone quit a profession after they've been at it for a long time?
  • Age (which is a big factor for Arnie) he doesn't 'seem' to have that polish like he did before, especially for action movies. He's slower, bulkier (fatter) and that doesn't make for a good action star.
  • Time in grade (so to speak), he's been doing this for a long time and he's not really building a new fan base to be such a major star. He's not at the top of Hollywood's Hunk list, their Must Have's or any list I could think of.
Those two factors alone are worth the retirement. I would venture to guess that he's no where near the $20M club anymore.
Anyway, that's how I see it. Arnie is like that brand new 1974 Porsche 911 and how we see it in 2001, it's a vintage (classic), good in it's day, but doesn't hold a candle to the new stuff.
You're right, I will stop going to the movies, to see Arnold.
Troy
------------------
[Edited last by Troy LaMont on August 17, 2001 at 02:51 PM]

Ruben Zamora

Stunt Coordinator
I DONT THINK THERE are any ACTION stars right now that live up to Stallone , AWNULD, etc etc. IN fact, there are no new good action stars. THey're all crap. What sucks now is these actors are just seasonal. You'll only know them within the next 5 yrs. I mean c'mon, your not going to remember Gone In 60 Seconds or Fast and Furious years down the road, 10years from now those movies will be crap. At least we can still look at Awnulds flicks today as GREAT movies. Like Terminator, T2, Commando, Predator, Total Recall etc. etc. Awnuld has left us with GREAT films. I hope he continues, cause quite frankly, Today's action movies SUCK.
------------------
Ruben Zamora
Onkyo TX-575X
Pioneer DV-333

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks