What's new

I think I have stepped in Wal-Mart for the last time. (1 Viewer)

Trace Downing

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trace Downing
other 25 states that were mentioned said:
Being competitive is one thing. Undercutting other retailers because you are violating numerous labor relations laws is fraud. Wal-Mart isn't competitive, they are Imperialist.

Patrick_M

Stunt Coordinator
Not to throw fuel on the fire, but money is not the only issue. Full time employees, even in retail, often recieve health benefits. Often times it takes 60 or 90 days for these benefits to kick in. If you walk out, you lose your health insurance. Sure you can pay for COBRA to maintain your coverage, but it is very expessive. I know, my wife was fired from her job because she was pregnant with our first child, and the COBRA insurance for her alone was 250 bucks a month. If you have kids, you probably cant afford COBRA, and you can't afford to go without insurance, because kids get sick. Anyhow, my point is simply that life is complicated, and nothing is as simple as a news article makes it out to be.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
"Also, this whole Wal-Mart-destroys-towns BS is lame. "

Not lame at all. The chances of David beating Goliath in retail aint gonna happen.

I've heard of many stories of Walmart moving into town, and within 12-18 months NOTHING is left.No mens or womans clothing shops, no small automotive stores ETC.

I WOULD, and gladly DO, shop at smaller stores when possible.

Just recently I was in a WALmart(only store open past 6 on a sunday that sells tennis balls) and noticed a code scanner for my car was under $20 while Canadian Tire had the same thing for $30.

Did I buy the same scanner at WALmart and save $10 ....NOPE!
While part of that was the fact that I prefer to support Canadian companies, the LARGEST reason was because of my belief in supporting companies that treat you right...

When I need to look for a employee for 10 minutes, that's almost 10 minutes too long.

While that may be an extreme example of a dif in price, over a full shop you probably save more than $10

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
spending you're money is a political activity. When you shop someplace, you are making a statement that you like what the comany is doing
So by paying my taxes am I making the statement that I like everything the government is doing? :laugh:
To carry your statement to its logical conclusion, every time I spend money, I am giving my complete approval to every activity carried on by every person who directly or indirectly benefits by my expenditure.
I'm purchasing a new TV (no, not from WalMart, but from another evil empire instead... ;) ) Statistically the chances are extremely high that on the assembly line where that TV is assembled there is a person taking illegal drugs. Therefore, by purchasing this TV, I am giving my approval for that person's drug use.
Yes, that's an extreme example, but it illustrates my point that every time I spend money anywhere, someone who does something I don't agree with is going to benefit from it. Every time I spend money, whether knowingly or not I am (apparently) approving of evil. It doesn't make any difference if I know of the evil I am supporting or if I don't -- either way somebody who does something I don't agree with is going to benefit. So what difference does it make if I knowingly support evil or unknowingly support evil. Unless I completely stop spending money, I'm supporting evil.
Now if you truly believe that by not shopping at WalMart you are making a beneficial difference, I applaud you for your stance and convictions. Seriously, whether I agree with you or not, I think it's a good thing that you are doing what you feel is right and best.
I just don't happen to share your convictions. Ultimately I don't think it makes any difference where I do or don't shop as somewhere down the line, some evildoer will benefit from any purchase I make anywhere.

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
I've heard of many stories of Walmart moving into town, and within 12-18 months NOTHING is left.No mens or womans clothing shops, no small automotive stores ETC.
You've 'heard' many stories. But have you actually seen any towns like this? Towns where you have a Supercenter and a bunch of homes. I never have, and I travel to many small towns on business trips. But let's say some of these towns do exist, what is the problem? Again, it's just competition. Propose what you think Wal-Mart should do. Should they raise their prices (at the expense of the millions who shop there) to give some tiny store with a few employees a better chance to survive? Absurd.

"Did I buy the same scanner at WALmart and save $10 ....NOPE! While part of that was the fact that I prefer to support Canadian companies, the LARGEST reason was because of my belief in supporting companies that treat you right... When I need to look for a employee for 10 minutes, that's almost 10 minutes too long."

Hey, nothing wrong with wanting good service. I think most everybody would agree that there are times, especially when it comes to HT hardware, that the extra service is worth the higher prices at a smaller shop. BUT, I do not need help from an employee when I'm out buying toilet paper, deodorant, tooth paste, various household cleaners, trash bags, and maybe a few grocery items. These are generally the things I shop for at Wal-Mart. Really, the only time I've ever needed help from an employee was to get a video game out of the locked case.

Aaron

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Well, a lot of people can't afford to just throw away $10 because it makes them feel morally superior. Lots of folks live paycheck to paycheck and need to stretch every dollar as far as it will go, meaning shopping wherever you can find the absolute lowest prices. Most of the time, that's Wal-Mart.

I've never seen this so-called "Wal-Mart Effect" either. We happen to have a Wal-Mart that opened three years ago about equidistant between two thriving downtown commercial districts (less than 3 miles from each). Not one single store has closed that could be "blamed" on the arrival of Wal-Mart. All the gloom-and-doom folks who predicted boarded up storefronts and dead downtowns in this area have been proven wrong.

It's just natural for everyone to try and tear down the big guy. As the most successful retailer, Wal-Mart is naturally going to take the main body of criticism against big retail. Just as everyone criticizes MicroSoft in the computer industry. Success breeds contempt, especially from those who can't compete.

Trace Downing

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trace Downing
Again, it's just competition. Propose what you think Wal-Mart should do. Should they raise their prices (at the expense of the millions who shop there) to give some tiny store with a few employees a better chance to survive? Absurd.
If that toilet paper's price is so much lower than anybody else, then my question would be "How can they do this?" Doctoring pay stubs, and making people work without pay is not mere competition. They got to the point of undecutting the other retailers through nefarious practices, and breaking the labor laws. What you pay for that toilet paper is an unrealistic markdown, not competitive.

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
slavery doesn't bother you
Employment at Walmart is not mandatory. I've heard of no examples of individuals being held at gunpoint and forced to be employed by Walmart. And I'm not aware of anyplace where it is required by law that a person work at Walmart. Everyone who works there, and everyone that allows themselves to be mistreated by their employer (walmart or otherwise) does so by their own choice. That's not to say that their other options may be just as unpleasant, but it is still a choice.
On another note... I'm heading out of town for a few days & probably won't have access to HTF. I'll poke my head in when I get back to town to see if this thread is still alive & kicking :) Cya later...

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
If that toilet paper's price is so much lower than anybody else, then my question would be "How can they do this?" Doctoring pay stubs, and making people work without pay is not mere competition. They got to the point of undercutting the other retailers through nefarious practices, and breaking the labor laws. What you pay for that toilet paper is an unrealistic markdown, not competitive.
Oh come on. You seriously believe these incidents are widespread enough to allow them lower all their prices? They get lower prices by buying in volumes greater than anyone else. Call me skeptical/cynical, but I have little faith in our legal system. Too many people are looking for a free ride these days. I'd be willing to bet cash that a whole hell of a lot of these people involved in these class action lawsuits are just part of a "me too" crowd looking to cash in. Sure, some may have legit claims, then you have the droves jumping on the bandwagon looking for a handout. Crap like this happens far too often these days.

Aaron

Trace Downing

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trace Downing
Call me skeptical, but I have little faith in our legal system. Too many people are looking for a free ride these days. I'd be willing to bet cash that whole hell of a lot of these people involved in these class action lawsuits are just part of a "me too" crowd looking to cash in.
Well, call me skeptical but we are now just seeing the tip of the iceberg of what kind of corruption can be had when big business has the kind of blind adoration from the "get rich quick by playing the stock market" general public that keeps CNBC/Bloomberg afloat, and that you seem to have for Wal-Mart. Making heros and celebrities out of CEOs who are making cash, hand over fist, while either lying to the public (and shareholders) about their profits, and at the same time laying off more workers because the profit margin isn't as large as they wanted it to be. I wouldn't put this, or any allegation past any large and powerful company, especially Wal-Mart.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
I'm jumping into this thread a little late, but here goes:
Target is all about customer service
And it shows. I shop there all the time. Prices are a little higher than Wal-Mart's, but I'm willing to pay them in order to avoid everything that is Wal-Mart...

It's only proof that there are 1 million people who need a job. Any job. Even iof their payroll practices are completely above board, I seriously doubt that working at Walmart is anyone's idea of a dream job. People work there because they have have bills to pay and have to take whatever's available. The very least that Walmart's employees should be able to expect from their employer is to be paid for the work they do. There is no excuse for the world's largest retailer to force people to work off the clock or refuse to pay for legitimate overtime. None.

I don't have a Walmart in my area and I pray that I never do. However, if one should open near me I'll never set foot inside its doors. It's not worth saving a few bucks when I know that I'm supporting a company that has such little respect for its employees.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I worked for Fedex a few years ago and working off the clock is a standard practice for them too. It's an everyday thing for drivers to manufacturer breaks that never happened in order to meet their stops per hour quota. Raising profits by squeezing employees for payroll dollars is by no means exclusive to Walmart.

Tom Rhea

Second Unit
If your favorite time of day is 4:20, and you wanna have a little fun with Wally:

While on vacation at my mother's, we went to her local WM and I noticed a sign on the front of the building saying (paraphrase): All job applicants are screened for drugs. If you know you won't pass, don't waste our time and yours.

Next time I'm down there, I think I just might waste some time.

I love taking little bits of revenge out on corporate scum.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Well said Chuck! At least you're keeping the thread on topic. :)
If you think Wal-mart is bad, just look at the meat-packing industry. After reading Fast Food Nation, reading the scientific papers on food safety (or lack of!) in the United States (I had a subscription to the peer-reviewed Nature magazine and read the articles in New Scientist and Scientific American, just to name-drop and show off! :D), and hearing of the corruption in the food industry, I swear I will never eat at a fast-food burger joint ever again. Or at least try not to...dammit those food-flavouring scientists sure are crafty. :)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I just read this whole thread and I am amazed at the lack of knowledge about Wal-Mart's various transgressions.

1. Wal-Mart has been convicted of anti-trust violations repeatedly. They treated such as a cost of doing business. In fact they startd out in small towns with a strategy of selling below cost to run the competition out of business. This is not legal. Most of these convictions were in the 60's and 70's back when anti-trust laws were enforced better than the present. They built up their capital to invade the cities in this manner. I'm not talking about 2 or 3 convictions. I forget the exact number of convictions but it is in the range of 50 to 100.

2. Wal-Mart does not care who is killed by falling merchandise. Again, they treat this as a cost of doing business. It's not safe to work or shop in Wal-Mart. I'd hate to be in a Wal-Mart in an earthquake. It doesn't take an earthquake for goods to fall off those high shelfs. A box bends some and down comes everthing on top of it. This has been widely reported by the media. I've seen several network magazine shows cover this recurring phenomenon. There's more falling than just prices at Wally-World. Oh, I question if prices are falling, BTW!

3. Here's a fun and true story. Locale: Kerrville, Texas (about 60 miles northwest of San Antonio). I owned a house there. I let my aunt live there until her death. In her declining years I went down there ( I live in Tennessee) to repair and maintain the house once or twice a year. One year I stayed there for nearly 3 months doing major repairs. I contracted out all the outside work and I painted the interior.

I often worked 12+ hours a day. In the daytime I was often busy supervising work and taking care of my aunt who was seriously ill. Often I painted all evening. By that time my preferred hardware store was closed. Many a night I went to the Wal-Mart for some painting supplies so I could continue to work.

One night, about 10 P.M., I was the the seventh person in line at one of the two checkout lanes open. You know how many they have, 20+. I noticed a little sign at the register that GUARNTEED THAT IF MORE THAN 3 PATRONS WERE IN LINE THAT ADDITIONAL CASH REGISTERS WOULD BE OPENED.

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
I can't believe people would get suckered into working for free.... Hell, I'm lucky to work even if I AM getting payed :b

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Oh, I forgot to remind everybody about Wal-Mart's 350,000 life insurance policies on employees that the employees didn't know about. They'd stille be doing this if they could keep it secret. < that's the part I forgot in my previous rant...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks