i think fireworks is a waste of money

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by felix_suwarno, Jul 5, 2003.

1. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

last night we enjoyed a nice fireworks show...chicago's 4th of july fireworks show was MUCH better than the canadians ( we were at niagara falls a few days ago, and the canadian had 8 minutes fireworks show to celebrate their independence day ).

but people also bought tons of fireworks for themselves...last night it was like there were an air assault or something! it didnt stop for like 3 hours, from 9 to 12. how much money did they spend for something that lasts a few seconds???

i have never played any firework in my life, and never will be. i think it is like smoking = it doesnt do me any good. i'd rather use the money to upgrade my computer or home theater.

2. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ

3. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

"are"..... to each his own.

4. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

The cheap, sucky, pathetic spray of sparks (the legal-in-Michigan kind) fireworks are not worth spending money on (except for little kids). Now, some real fireworks across the border in Indiana or Ohio, that's different [​IMG] Thunder Kings, oh yeah, shoot one off over the lake and hear the echo [​IMG]

5. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

when I lived in ND fireworks were big business, you could have anything short of M80 AFAIK.

the trick is to go at like midnight ON the 4th of july and stock up, they start to practically GIVE things away just so they don't have to pack them up.

Last year I bought morters, lots of them. like 6 boxes of 6 rounds each for something like 8 or 9 dollars a box. Normally I think they run about 20 bucks a box or more. I think I might have even gotten some sort of buy 3 get one free at that price, I really don't recall.

I also got missile batteries, big missile/rocket things, and a whole BUNCH of cool crap. I was setting morters off 2 and 3 at a time [​IMG]

6. Grant B

Grant B Producer

My wife spent a good deal of the night on our roof (It's flat) watching the fireworks. I walked up there for a few minutes and you could see fireworks from about 4 different cities going off at once through the fog....considering all the cities are broke it's hard to justify. But it's like spitting on a baby; political death if someone kills off a 4th of July fireworks display. Just lay off some cops and firemen instead, Yes that'll work

7. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

8. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    A lot of things are a waste of money, but what's the point of making it if you can't enjoy spending it? They're like going to the movies, it's expensive as hell but we still go, it's just entertainment.

9. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

If you ever shot off mortar shells, you would have a different opinion [​IMG]

Bottle Rocket fights are hella fun too

"SIR! She canna take any more!"
    "Nonsense, tie on fuse 18! Fire on my command!

10. Mark Fitzsimmons

Mark Fitzsimmons Supporting Actor

Why are you guys nit picking at his English?

If I remember correctly, it is not Felix's native (or primary) language.

11. felix_suwarno

i actually know it should use "are", but english is such a strange language. i remember a few years ago in "dailyradar" forum, people taught me not to write "softwares", but software ( and now i couldnt find where these people are these days, they were such nice people ). it is just that when i write, somehow, sometimes i dont remember whether i should use is or are.

anyway, i like the bigger fireworks that the government use to celebrate special day. ya know, it is like throwing the biggest svs sub into the sky. wimpy fireworks sold in the stores dont cut it anymore to me.

12. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

13. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

David, I was thinking that same thing. I doubt anybody would say anything bad about competition we always put on!!

Brent
    Mind you it looks like thay stopped the "symphony of fire" competition. It's good to see that the Canada Day one still happens!

14. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer
    Supporter

Carl III
    I prefer to leave fireworks to the professionals too but my concern is less about the money and more about safety.

15. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

I LOVE fireworks! Hell yes we should spend money on them! It's our birthday damnit and we deserve to celebrate. Fireworks are beautiful and exciting, launched in honor of the revolution that created this country.

With all the crap that's been going on in the world I think it completely appropriate that we take a little time to appreciate the sacrifices of men and women, dead and living, who have done, and may yet have to do so much for this country. Fireworks are an expression of that honor. A metaphor for the all the battles fought to earn and keep the freedoms we hold so dear. Denying fireworks is akin to begrudging candles on a birthday cake.

16. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

Jason Els - [​IMG]

17. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

"i think fireworks is a waste of money Page "

AGREED

I'd much more prefer this country live up to it's potential than shooting off symbolic fireworks.

18. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Felix, mortar shells basically ARE what the pros use [​IMG] They're just a little smaller, but they go off at a lower altitude so the effect is almost the same. And yes, the stuff you can buy in the store in chicago is a waste of money.

Carl, as for safety, you use "punks" which any place that sells good fireworks will have. They're basically 3ft long incense sticks that will allow you to safely light fireworks w/o getting your hand blown off [​IMG]

19. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

20. felix_suwarno

hey at least with a dvd you can re-watch it whenever you like! fireworks? boom, and thats it.