What's new

I Spy: The Complete Series (Shout! Factory)? (1 Viewer)

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
But in all seriousness, Neil, I'm sure you would love nothing better than to see I Spy digitally remastered from the original 35mm camera negatives.
I remember on more than one occasion you sad that you were mad as hell, when you found out there was a whole fight scene missing in one episode, and when you called up Image to ask them about it, they cared more about how you got their number, than the fact that there was an edited episode.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Gary OS said:
Quote:
But couldn't we easily say that about every studio? I know WBA, and others, haven't been very receptive when I've inquired about particular titles/episodes. And no, I'm not talking about pie-in-the-sky stuff either.
Gary "just tired of the double standard" O.
Of course it is (double-std) :lol: It's humerous, Here we go again....."rebuttal" time :lol:
Here's Shout's Adam-12 release dates... and as Jack knows, I'm also an Adam-12 fan ;)
ADAM-12 S2 09/30/08
ADAM-12 S3 08/11/09
ADAM-12 S4 02/23/10
ADAM-12 S5 08/10/10
ADAM-12 S6 01/07/12
ADAM-12 S7 04/10/12
Was it a long delay between S5-6? Absolutely. Was it "inexuseable", "unacceptable"? Well, that depends on one's pov, doesn't it? Like I said, I'm a big Adam-12 fan and I look at it as a "full glass". The series is released in its entirety.
As for Ironside, I hope for Jack as well as others that are wanting this one to get restarted, that this will happen down the road. It's not of interest to me so naturally I'm not posting about Shout's "sub-par" release performance schedules.
WBA, well, we all know we have 2 vocal proponents on this forum that will never agree with the rest of us regarding that issue, be it pricepoints or release schedules. I respect Jack although we're sure on opposite sides on the "hill" :lol: but Jack's a valued contributer, imo, to this board and doesn't allow his emotions to control his posts, as we saw in another thread recently when I quoted another proponent's own words :laugh: .
Regarding schedule comparisons, I'll vote on that when I see entire series runs released at WBA, ie, comparable season #'d sets in the S5-10 range.
Pricing, well, how about a poll? Does anyone else besides Gary and I (I know others that agree but it's their call to post here if they so choose) prefer WBA TV/DVD prices vs the recently-released Maverick S1 set? I'd guess that Maverick fans are happy that this one avoided the high-priced WBA route ;).
Gary, this is so funny since there are 3 guys that know I sent a pkg to a WBA proponent last year when he requested help. I mention this in case our "emotional" member appears again and diverts with his "fanboy" and "perfectionist" verbage aimed at me because I quoted his words about this WBA-turf-defense scene :lol: I also posted a positive comment about WBA and I also think they're doing a great job on the movie side of things... but of course, that part of my post that day was omitted from the emotional reply :laugh:.
I didn't post a "thanks", Gary, for your post in that WBA thread. My bad, Thanks for your support there. Needless to say, I have no interest in that other member's opinion of me :lol:. Perhaps he should ask "John Doe", the WBA supporter that received a pkg last year.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Originally Posted by Neil Brock /t/320099/i-spy-the-complete-series-shout-factory#post_3918238
It must be nice to live in a fantasy world where cross-licensing, music clearances, element remastering and potential sales are not an issue. Reminds me of the person who we all know who is constantly campaigning for her obscure show to come out, despite the fact that no one else has any interest in it, its owned by a studio that doesn't release its older shows, there likely aren't any usable elements and it is in a genre which has never done well anywhere. But, hey, why should little details like that matter. Why let reality get in the way? I would love to see how these people run their businesses.

Last time I checked, these forums were for everyone, not just those who consistently take perverse pride in negativity and ridicule disguised as "realism,' all the while purporting to be experts in the field of DVD manufacture and distribution yet never once offering any credentials for their alleged expertise. It's not the position that bothers me because after all these are open forums, but the apparent glee these posters take in belittling anyone who doesn't share their jaded, cynical outlook on the subject.

Since these people seem to be so threatened by anyone who might enjoy discussing the possibility and potential of a favorite being released, no matter how slim the prospects might be, they undertake to malign them in no uncertain terms and call to their attention what they see as being the harsh cold reality. Why? Are your misanthropic views of life so pervasive and all consuming that you can't see anyone expressing hope as being anything more than a deluded dreamer? If so, you have my sympathies.

I have no doubt these same naysayers would have been just as negative over the idea that such series as ELLERY QUEEN and THE SNOOP SISTERS would ever get released, yet they did. Granted, the chances of my friend Amy's desired show, MATT LINCOLN, both alluded to in one of Neil's typically unnecessary diatribes, probably doesn't stand a chance of ever coming out, but I would like to know why he continues to express such anger and vitriol over her hopes that it will? Time and time again you have clearly pointed out to her and everyone else here your feelings on the subject yet, even though I don't believe she has posted about MATT LINCOLN in many months, you continue to harbor what seems like a disgruntled grudge against it all. It's as if you are obsessed with somehow extolling your apparent all encompassing knowledge and experience while definitively discouraging her and others from ever posting again.

I would like to ask these posters: If you feel that you are so superior to the rest of us who post here and you must forever condescend to being here, why are you here? Why wouldn't you start your own forums and just invite people who you feel are worthy of you?

William Miller

Second Unit
Some people forgive and forget.
Some don't.
Some will never forgive Shout for the stupid and careless releases of shows with edited episodes like Father Knows Best and Mr. Ed. But they would be forgiven if they would go back and correct them but that seems to be something they feel would seriously damage their financial condition.
Shout Select is a nice idea in theory but the prices are too high.
Shout has done more good than bad. But it is OK to point out flaws in a company. I thought that is what a forum is supposed to do.
Some members know more than others.
Some members know much more than others but not as much as they think they know.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Professor Echo said:
Last time I checked, these forums were for everyone, not just those who consistently take perverse pride in negativity and ridicule disguised as "realism,' all the while purporting to be experts in the field of DVD manufacture and distribution yet never once offering any credentials for their alleged expertise. It's not the position that bothers me because after all these are open forums, but the apparent glee these posters take in belittling anyone who doesn't share their jaded, cynical outlook on the subject.
I don't think anyone needs to prove any credentials that make them "Experts" - Just because a person ISN'T Ron Epstein, doesn't mean they don't know how things work. I personally beleive a person's well informed posts speak for themselves, and Neil's speak volumes!
Pointing out continually WHY it is impossible from a business and financial standpoint to put together sky-high DVD sets is not belittling. I don't take "Glee" in chiming in on the facts of how things are - DVD IS A BUSINESS FIRST AND FOREMOST!
Mind you, I'm only chiming in with my thoughts,views and knowledge - nothing more or less.
Since these people seem to be so threatened by anyone who might enjoy discussing the possibility and potential of a favorite being released, no matter how slim the prospects might be, they undertake to malign them in no uncertain terms and call to their attention what they see as being the harsh cold reality. Why? Are your misanthropic views of life so pervasive and all consuming  that you can't see anyone expressing hope as being anything more than a deluded dreamer?  If so, you have my sympathies.
Threatened? Where the heck did you get that from - just because some chose to point out the business realities of what a particular series or set with extra-value makes us realist? Fans and Collectors need to understand and be educated on how things work - in the long run, it keeps people from being overly disappointed why their favorite series has little chance on coming out on DVD/MOD or why certain types of extra weren't on a DVD.
There's a difference between constructive discussions about potential releases and "Sky-High" releases, and if someones want to point out the why it can't or won't happen a certain way is just telling it like it is.
I have no doubt these same naysayers would have been just as negative over the idea that such series as ELLERY QUEEN and THE SNOOP SISTERS would ever get released, yet they did.
I can't speak for the others, but I don't think there was anyone who were Naysayers about these releases - There's a difference between a straight release with no extras and the types of sets with sky-high extra value material that are unlikely ever to happen. There were more factors FOR those series getting out on DVD than there are for say, MATT LINCOLN or A BIG Re-issue of I SPY with loads of extras.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Denny, my post was not directed at you, but since you came to Neil's defense, I would like to point out to you that his pattern of posting about this specific issue, directed at the specific person he alluded to in the post I quoted, has gone way beyond "constructive" and is bordering on personal attack.

That said, I stand by what I posted, but I will add to my point William Miller's salient last line:

"Some members know much more than others but not as much as they think they know."

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Jeff, I'd only say that with WBA, I have a reasonable degree of confidence that what they start they will finish that I don't have with other studios. They also brought out in sequence the #3 titles that I wanted most from them in "The FBI", "Girl From UNCLE" and now "Tarzan" so that with the three essentials done or in the active pipeline, there isn't anything they can do that I can feel burned over which is something I can't say of any other studio at this point, even the ones that have great track records overall. With Shout! I am glad they finally got off their butts and finished "Adam-12" (though it should have been finished last year since there was no bonus content on these last two releases that justified a delay), and I applaud the fast-tracking of "Kojak" that's been done. But for me, what they did with "Ironside" was a situation that was inexcusable on all levels, and for me that and the refusal to give "Marcus Welby" one more year through Shout Select (if Marcus Welby S2 had been a Select title I'd be willing to accept it as two and through, but not when S1 and S2 were both retail) are issues that rankle me as much as CBS/Paramount not doing B/W titles rankles Gary (for me personally, I'm not clamoring for much more B/W titles. I am increasingly finding that 50s shows are not much to my overall liking compared to 60s-70s shows). I won't go out of my way to start a bashing of Shout! but I don't want to see them put on a pedestal by others in relation to other companies that isn't IMO warranted.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Yikes. It looks like this thread really got out of control today, and tonight in particular. I apologize for any part I played in drumming up all these bad "feelings." All I'll say is thanks to Jeff for a well thought out post, and thanks to Glen for standing up for a friend of his. I applaud that and agree that it's too easy on forums such as these to get negative. I know that some of the sets being posted as "wish list" dvds are pie-in-the-sky. I'd say most, if not all, of us know that. But I think we can exercise some self-control and just let people share their dreams. That's all that's really happening. And I think that's fine. If something in particular hits me the wrong way I'll generally just move on. And that's what I'll do at this point with this thread.

Gary "hoping everyone has a good night" O.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Originally Posted by Gary OS /t/320099/i-spy-the-complete-series-shout-factory#post_3918316

I know that some of the sets being posted as "wish list" dvds are pie-in-the-sky. I'd say most, if not all, of us know that. But I think we can exercise some self-control and just let people share their dreams. That's all that's really happening. And I think that's fine. If something in particular hits me the wrong way I'll generally just move on. And that's what I'll do at this point with this thread.

Well said, Gary and I'm joining you in moving on from this thread. Often it's not the perspective that rankles me, but the presentation. Know-it-all bullies and constant negativity can ultimately ruin the forum experience.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Professor Echo said:
Denny, my post was not directed at you, but since you came to Neil's defense, I would like to point out to you that his pattern of posting about this specific issue, directed at the specific person he alluded to in the post I quoted, has gone way beyond "constructive" and is bordering on personal attack.
That said, I stand by what I posted, but I will add to my point William Miller's salient last line:
"Some members know much more than others but not as much as they think they know."
Oh, I know the history and posts behind the situation and person you refer to,and nothing I've read (reread again to refresh my memory) borders on a "personal attack". He's more than free to use that situation as an example for this,and similar situations. I agree with what he has said on this,and similar subjects.
Some people want to see see lesser or nitch series to be released with all the bells and whistles of extras or just get so obsessed over a show or a film that can't understand why it won't/can't come out when others have and constant posting about the same single show/film which can get rather annoying after it's been explained WHY it won't happen.
It's worse with similar personality types of people who are begging for Stalled Shows to Continue! ( I can think of someone on the PEYTON PLACE Thread that comes to mind, and previously on the VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA Thread constant posting almost every day about it)
As I've said before, constructive posts on DVD releases are more productive than "sky-high" posts.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I love how defensive people get over the slightest hint of criticism. I guess I'm not young enough to have been raised in the modern day, touchy feely world where we can't disparage anything or anyone and goodness knows we can't point out the flaws in anyone's thought process, no matter how ridiculous they might be. It reminds me of that whole Ozzie and Harriet thing that was going on a few months ago where I was ripped apart for pointing out facts, such as how the money being raised would barely be enough to cover blank digital tape stock, let alone remastering, authoring, pressing and music licensing. Not to mention that such a huge amount of discs would result in a set retailing for several hundred dollars. Such audacity. Almost as bad as having the nerve to suggest that people might have actually thought to videotape programs they wanted when they ran on the air.
But, getting back to I Spy - yes, I would have loved for it to have been released properly the first time. But its just not that popular a show to ever get the kind of release the OP suggests. Hell, if by some miracle another company licensed it and put it out again, does anyone seriously think that they would spend the money to go back and re-transfer them from the original elements? Do you know how much that would cost? And what's the sales potential? How many people want the show that do not already own it? I wouldn't re-buy it, no matter what they did as its not that important a show to me. Yes, it stinks that at least one episode is edited and who knows how many more possibly are. But I have thousands of series in my collection and I probably won't live long enough to watch them all, let alone go back and watch something like I Spy, which I'm luke warm on at best.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Professor Echo said:
I have no doubt these same naysayers would have been just as negative over the idea that such series as ELLERY QUEEN and THE SNOOP SISTERS would ever get released, yet they did. Granted, the chances of my friend Amy's desired show, MATT LINCOLN, both alluded to in one of Neil's typically unnecessary diatribes, probably doesn't stand a chance of ever coming out, but I would like to know why he continues to express such anger and vitriol over her hopes that it will? Time and time again you have clearly pointed out to her and everyone else here your feelings on the subject yet, even though I don't believe she has posted about MATT LINCOLN in many months, you continue to harbor what seems like a disgruntled grudge against it all. It's as if you are obsessed with somehow extolling your apparent all encompassing knowledge and experience while definitively discouraging her and others from ever posting again.
Because no matter what anybody says, politely or otherwise, it doesn't register. And if you go back and look through other threads, I'm not the only one on the internet who gets annoyed with her constant and repetitive posts, which appear not just here but on IMDB, Shout Factory and I'm sure many other sites. As for unnecessary, that's your opinion. I don't think pointing out realities are that unnecessary.
Professor Echo said:
I would like to ask these posters: If you feel that you are so superior to the rest of us who post here and you must forever condescend to being here, why are you here? Why wouldn't you start your own forums and just invite people who you feel are worthy of you?
I don't know, let me ask you, why does it bother you to have posters who have more knowledge and are more informative being here? Or do you just prefer to read posts like, "I wish **** **** would come out" and Why hasn't **** **** come out?", all day long? Why is that threatening to you? Why does every post have to be positive and upbeat and everyone has to agree?

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Neil Brock said:
I'm not the only one on the internet who gets annoyed with her constant and repetitive posts,
Has it ever occurred to you that your posts read the same way to many people?

The fact remains that she has not posted about MATT LINCOLN in many months, yet you continue to repeat your objections to it over and over again and with nary a change in voice, which is just as off putting as those you are so quick to hold up for harping criticism and ridicule. Gary's point is a valid one, that people orally dreaming about such releases hurt no one and do not necessarily need a self-appointed expert's repetitious and redundant negation of same.

As I said previously, often it's not the perspective that I find fault with, but the presentation. For instance, I don't disagree with any of your conclusions about why some titles get released and others never will, whether it's MATT LINCOLN or a untampered OZZIE AND HARRIET or whatever series stands a remote chance for whatever reasons. I respect your take on it quite often and have posted same in my responses to you. I have also been openly contentious with you at times and that's something I don't ever see changing. You and I could bond over the subject at hand, vintage television, but we would never find any common ground on approach or expression over said subject.

As for expecting or even wanting a forum to have an exclusively harmonious atmosphere, read my past posts and then tell me I am only here for discussions that are upbeat and positive. I battled my way back on this forum after being suspended for repeatedly challenging the site with favoring the studios. I retained my original username in the process yet surrendered none of my passion for expressing my opinion, whether positive or negative. But unlike you and some others, I don't believe in constantly denigrating the points of view of everyone else just because you seem to rank your own point of view as somehow superior to theirs. I have had my confrontations with others, sure, but I have yet to focus on one person so ardently that it begins to court obsession.

(And yes, I am fully aware of my hypocrisy in stating I was leaving this thread only to return to it. Reason for this: Human nature!).

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
And Neil, you owe an apology to the person working on the My Living Doll DVDs for mocking his efforts. Instead of being happy for him, you mock him as if you're smart and he's not.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Gary OS said:
Yikes. It looks like this thread really got out of control today, and tonight in particular. I apologize for any part I played in drumming up all these bad "feelings." All I'll say is thanks to Jeff for a well thought out post, and thanks to Glen for standing up for a friend of his. I applaud that and agree that it's too easy on forums such as these to get negative. I know that some of the sets being posted as "wish list" dvds are pie-in-the-sky. I'd say most, if not all, of us know that. But I think we can exercise some self-control and just let people share their dreams. That's all that's really happening. And I think that's fine. If something in particular hits me the wrong way I'll generally just move on. And that's what I'll do at this point with this thread.
Gary "hoping everyone has a good night" O.
Thanks again for the support Gary. I appreciate it. I see no problem with most of the posts at this forum but we do see occasional "protectionism" with sarcastic shots taken by 1 or 2 that seem to think "WBA" gound is sacred. Jack's not one of these to me. I respect Jack on this board regardless of our opposite sides of the fence.
Jack P said:
Jeff, I'd only say that with WBA, I have a reasonable degree of confidence that what they start they will finish that I don't have with other studios. They also brought out in sequence the #3 titles that I wanted most from them in "The FBI", "Girl From UNCLE" and now "Tarzan" so that with the three essentials done or in the active pipeline, there isn't anything they can do that I can feel burned over which is something I can't say of any
other studio at this point, even the ones that have great track records overall. With Shout! I am glad they finally got off their butts and finished "Adam-12" (though it should have been finished last year since there was no bonus content on these last two releases that justified a delay), and I applaud the fast-tracking of "Kojak" that's been done. But for me, what they did with "Ironside" was a situation that was inexcusable on all levels, and for me that and the refusal to give "Marcus Welby" one more year through Shout Select (if Marcus Welby S2 had been a Select title I'd be willing to accept it as two and through, but not when S1 and S2 were both retail) are issues that rankle me as much as CBS/Paramount not doing B/W titles rankles Gary (for me personally, I'm not clamoring for much more B/W titles. I am increasingly finding that 50s shows are not much to my overall liking compared to 60s-70s shows). I won't go out of my way to start a bashing of Shout! but I don't want to see them put on a pedestal by others in relation to other companies that isn't IMO warranted.
I get your points, I really do. I'll just reiterate the old saying that "it works both ways". Gary and I also think that the WBA is put on a "pedestal" at times. We see the same members adding that into Timeless threads which I think is :laugh: but I get the motive there. We see the same members trying to tell the rest of us that we don't know what we've been paying for typical TV/DVD sets for years, when they try repeatedly to defend WBA's everyday prices for most of their TV/DVD sets. As I've said many times, they are doing a great job in the movie side of things and I think they are listening to some feedback on their TV/DVD pricepoints as they have offered more sales there recently. It's getting better.
William Miller said:
Some
people forgive and forget. Some don't.Some will never forgive Shout for the stupid and careless releases of shows with edited episodes like Father Knows Best and Mr. Ed. But they would be forgiven if they would go back and correct them but that seems to be something they feel would seriously damage their financial condition.
Shout Select is a nice idea in theory but the prices are too high.
Shout has done more good than bad. But it is OK to point out flaws in a company. I thought that is what a forum is supposed to do.
Some members know more than others.
Some members know much more than others but not as much as they think they know.
Well-said. I'll ask you about this one though: We assume that it works both ways regarding the "it's ok to point out flaws in a company" part. We see continuous attempts to tell us that WBA is near-perfect in their approach, while we see repeated "shame on Shout" posts. They all originate from the same 1-2 members. All cool :laugh: but it works both ways. Sometimes Gary and I, and I'm fairly certain more, think that the WBA guys don't like it working both ways. Perhaps that's a misconception though.
DeWilson said:
Oh, I know the history and posts behind the situation and person you refer to,and nothing I've read (reread again to refresh my memory) borders on a "personal attack". He's more than free to use that situation as an example for this,and similar situations. I agree with what he has said on this,and similar subjects. Some people want to see see lesser or nitch series to be released with all the bells and whistles of extras or just get so obsessed over a show or a film that can't understand why it won't/can't come out when others have and constant posting about the same single show/film which can get rather annoying after it's been explained WHY it won't happen. It's worse with similar personality types of people who are begging for Stalled Shows to Continue! ( I can think of someone on the PEYTON PLACE Thread that comes to mind, and previously on the VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA Thread constant posting almost every day about it)
As I've said before, constructive posts on DVD releases are more productive than "sky-high" posts.
I wonder, do you know the history here? If so, you and I see this completely different. I'm the first to say that we have a member here that's very knowledgable in this industy and has what may well be the largest TV show collection in the country. He's contributed a lot of useful information to this forum. However, I don't believe that this excuses someone that has had a long history of multiple bans, condescending posts, sarcastic comments about shows that HE thinks are "stupid, idiodic", etc, and also belittles other members with snide remarks.
Perhaps that is a lone or minority opinion here but this is how I see it. "Knowledgeable and relevant" posts don't justify a clear trend of this kind of posting history.
I wonder, would you have reacted the same way if you were in Glen's shoes? Example: Let's say that you have a good friend such as Glen does, and you see your friend sarcastically referred to by a poster on this forum with a long history of this behavior. Would you be quick to defend the poster that referred to your friend in the manner that we have seen in this thread?
Professor Echo said:
Has it ever occurred to you that your posts read the same way to many people?
The fact remains that she has not posted about MATT LINCOLN in many months, yet you continue to repeat your objections to it over and over again and with nary a change in voice, which is just as off putting as those you are so quick to hold up for harping criticism and ridicule. Gary's point is a valid one, that people orally dreaming about such releases hurt no one and do not necessarily need a self-appointed expert's repetitious and redundant negation of same.
As I said previously, often it's not the perspective that I find fault with, but the presentation. For instance, I don't disagree with any of your conclusions about why some titles get released and others never will, whether it's MATT LINCOLN or a untampered OZZIE AND HARRIET or whatever series stands a remote chance for whatever reasons. I respect your take on it quite often and have posted same in my responses to you. I have also been openly contentious with you at times and that's something I don't ever see changing. You and I could bond over the subject at hand, vintage television, but we would never find any common ground on approach or expression over said subject.
As for expecting or even wanting a forum to have an exclusively harmonious atmosphere, read my past posts and then tell me I am only here for discussions that are upbeat and positive. I battled my way back on this forum after being suspended for repeatedly challenging the site with favoring the studios. I retained my original username in the process yet surrendered none of my passion for expressing my opinion, whether positive or negative. But unlike you and some others, I don't believe in constantly denigrating the points of view of everyone else just because you seem to rank your own point of view as somehow superior to theirs. I have had my confrontations with others, sure, but I have yet to focus on one person so ardently that it begins to court obsession.
(And yes, I am fully aware of my hypocrisy in stating I was leaving this thread only to return to it. Reason for this: Human nature!).
This says it for me. Believe me Glen, I see this the same way. The "air of superiority" is obvious and have been at this forum for years. I don't see this like some others that have posted here, in that it's "ok" to behave this way as long as you're bringing a lot of info to this forum.
vnisanian2001 said:
And Neil, you owe an apology to the person working on the My Living Doll DVDs for mocking his efforts. Instead of being happy for him, you mock him as if you're smart and he's not.
I recall that exchange as well. Perhaps we'll see a surprising change of pattern but I doubt you'll see an apology here.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Jeff Willis said:
Thanks again for the support Gary. I appreciate it. I see no problem with most of the posts at this forum but we do see occasional "protectionism" with sarcastic shots taken by 1 or 2 that seem to think "WBA" gound is sacred. Jack's not one of these to me. I respect Jack on this board regardless of our opposite sides of the fence.
I get your points, I really do. I'll just reiterate the old saying that "it works both ways". Gary and I also think that the WBA is put on a "pedestal" at times. We see the same members adding that into Timeless threads which I think is :laugh: but I get the motive there. We see the same members trying to tell the rest of us that we don't know what we've been paying for typical TV/DVD sets for years, when they try repeatedly to defend WBA's everyday prices for most of their TV/DVD sets. As I've said many times, they are doing a great job in the movie side of things and I think they are listening to some feedback on their TV/DVD pricepoints as they have offered more sales there recently. It's getting better.
I appreciate that Jeff. I'm not out to put WBA on a pedestal either, but I think in my case there's the feeling that WBA tends to be treated like the Rodney Dangerfield of TV on DVD outlets with less overall appreciation for what *has* been brought to DVD. For me, "The FBI" is a show that belonged in the narrow niche of *very* long running shows that had been absent from DVD for too long. At nine seasons you can not name a single show that debuted in the 1960s that had a longer run and nothing to show for it. Yet I have seen more praise heaped on other labels for bringing to DVD titles that with all due respect to those titles, were not ones that made the same impact on TV back then or produced a deeper legacy of stories. Some obscure western from the 50s that Timeless brings to DVD is something that's nice to see, but it is not the kind of breakthrough moment that bringing "The FBI" or the other big two titles I've mentioned were. And I suppose that in light of all the interest that "The Fugitive" and "The Invaders" have brought to these boards in the past, I would have figured that the longest-running show Quinn Martin put out and which many see as his finest effort overall, would have received a bit more appreciation than it got.
Put another way, I have zero and I mean ZERO interest in ever buying a set of "Ozzie And Harriet", but I fully understand its place in the annals of TV history as a long-running show that is for the most part unrepresented on DVD in a quality release. That's why if it is released, even at a price that would be high by my own standards, I'd be more inclined to praise the label for its breakthrough in getting something significant in TV history to DVD, even if its out of my price range then to more instinctively ask, "Why didn't they tackle this title instead?" If the next release of "The FBI" could not be accompanied by a "Where's "77 Sunset Strip" etc.?" question, that would put me more at ease. Mad as I am at Shout! about what they've done with "Ironside" and "Marcus Welby" that's not going to be my first question when I hear about the next release of "Kojak" etc.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Jeff Willis said:
I wonder, do you know the history here? If so, you and I see this completely different. I'm the first to say that we have a member here that's very knowledgable in this industy and has what may well be the largest TV show collection in the country. He's contributed a lot of useful information to this forum. However, I don't believe that this excuses someone that has had a long history of multiple bans, condescending posts, sarcastic comments about shows that HE thinks are "stupid, idiodic", etc, and also belittles other members with snide remarks. Perhaps that is a lone or minority opinion here but this is how I see it. "Knowledgeable and relevant" posts don't justify a clear trend of this kind of posting history.
People see and read posts and their intent differently than others. Seems to me that Neil speaks freely his options. If the mods had any issues, he would have been banned permanently.
I wonder, would you have reacted the same way if you were in Glen's shoes? Example: Let's say that you have a good friend such as Glen does, and you see your friend sarcastically referred to by a poster on this forum with a long history of this behavior. Would you be quick to defend the poster that referred to your friend in the manner that we have seen in this thread?
It doesn't change the fact that said person is/was rather obsessed over wanting MATT LINCOLN release and had frequently posted about it over and over, here and elsewhere. Neil was just the only person willing to point that out. I personally don't see it as a "personal attack" when he makes reference to it that as an example of that type of fan when similar situations come up. Sometimes Friends are to close to a situation to see it objectively.
People don't mind obsessed fans constantly posting the same thing about their shows over and over and over (One poster comes to mind), but yet Neil gets chastised for being blunt about the subject?
I recall that exchange as well. Perhaps we'll see a surprising change of pattern but I doubt you'll see an apology here.
I don't blame Neil for this one - The fellow handling MY LIVING DOLL has frequently posted conflicting information over the year on various boards (Here, IMDB,Sitcoms on Line) - Now it may just be as things are investigated facts are being cleared up - but there are posts saying first there WERE elements, and then the ones found were damaged, then the whole "Earthquake" situation - I can see why Neil has been a little skeptical. The Facts speak for themselves. Even I had to figure out the chain of events and posts to make heads or tails of it.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
DeWilson said:
People see and read posts and their intent differently than others. Seems to me that Neil speaks freely his options. If the mods had any issues, he would have been banned permanently.
In my experience, forum's prefer not to ban someone permanently. After all the forum is about sharing information and ideas. And obviously Neil has relevant information of value to share to this forum. But being banned even once (and if multiple times) shows an approach to communciating that goes over the line from time to time. And I would say Mod's would prefer things work out on their own and not have to ban or close threads if it can be helped.
The truth is all Neil, or anyone, had to do was simply present a list of typical reasons why such a venture would be unlikely to happen and be done with it. But that is not Neil's approach unfortunately. He has a negative/attacking/condescending style that has worn thin with many. And that is too bad because I have learned somethings about this hobby and it's history through many of his posts. but I've also had to make my way through unnecessary clutter to get to it. As a result, I tend to just bypass most of them now.
Now here is a useful post, by Neil:
But, getting back to I Spy - yes, I would have loved for it to have been released properly the first time. But its just not that popular a show to ever get the kind of release the OP suggests. Hell, if by some miracle another company licensed it and put it out again, does anyone seriously think that they would spend the money to go back and re-transfer them from the original elements? Do you know how much that would cost? And what's the sales potential? How many people want the show that do not already own it? I wouldn't re-buy it, no matter what they did as its not that important a show to me. Yes, it stinks that at least one episode is edited and who knows how many more possibly are. But I have thousands of series in my collection and I probably won't live long enough to watch them all, let alone go back and watch something like I Spy, which I'm luke warm on at best.
Now here are two unnecessary posts, by Neil, IMO:
Since ClassicTVFan has all of these grandiose ideas for releases, none of which will ever happen except in dreams, I would suggest that he start his own company. Then he could release all of what he suggests.
It must be nice to live in a fantasy world where cross-licensing, music clearances, element remastering and potential sales are not an issue. Reminds me of the person who we all know who is constantly campaigning for her obscure show to come out, despite the fact that no one else has any interest in it, its owned by a studio that doesn't release its older shows, there likely aren't any usable elements and it is in a genre which has never done well anywhere. But, hey, why should little details like that matter. Why let reality get in the way? I would love to see how these people run their businesses.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The Matt Lincoln criticism IMO was justified mostly, but the My Living Doll stuff wasn't. The former was a clear case of a fan obsessively reposting the same thing over and over and not adding anything fresh. The latter though involved the serious efforts to bring an end product to fruition that has finally come about and for which we should be grateful for.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
The only thing I'll add, and then be done with the thread, is that I think Glen, Jeff and Brad have posted some excellent and thorough thoughts on the subject at hand. My hat is off to each of them and I'm in full agreement with what they've said. Anything else I'd add would be purely superfluous.

Gary "nice job, guys" O.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks