What's new

I sold out and accepted a new job. (1 Viewer)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C

I think Gary's point was that perhaps one day we'll reach a balanced system that will enable us to spend more time in pursuits other than taking care of our material needs. I don't think he was saying "wow, can't wait till I can sit on my ass for the rest of my life" ;)

I know that if I were independently wealthy I would spend a lot of my newfound free time doing things I'd love to do right now but that don't exactly pay the bills: Learning more languages, getting another degree, studying music, etc. just for the hell of it :) I don't think a life devoted to such things would constitute leading an empty life.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I agree Ricardo. In fact, I'd go further to say that if you are in a job situation that you do not enjoy and stick with it just for the paycheck, then you are probably a work drone leading an empty life. That goes for work environment, not just occupational category.

Let's also not forget that in most places in the US, unemployment pays better than McDonald's. :)

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Exactly, Ricardo. There's plenty of time to sit on your ass when you're old and gray and sitting is basically the only thing you can do! :)

Bob Movies

Stunt Coordinator
This is a very interesting discussion, I'm enjoying hearing from both sides.

A question for you Gary, which isn't meant as a flame or a judgement on what you did. What did you get out of your year off? Did you accomplish anything that you wanted to do for your whole life, but weren't able to up until this point? You mention that you got to travel, which is great, but was there anything else?

I know how you feel, I can definitely relate. I graduated from university two years ago with student loans to pay off. It took me three months to find a job (more debt) and when I did get one, it was working bad hours for even worse pay! After a year and a half of working until 4:00 a.m. and weekends at my crap job (all the while searching for something better) I was finally hired for a good-paying position at a much better place. The only problem is that now, even though I'm making a decent wage, most of it is still going towards the student loans!

If you work 40 hours per week at your job, and you sleep 8 hours per night, then you've still got 72 hours left every week to live your life and do whatever you want. Don't think of it as selling out, think of it as the chance to start over, stay out of debt, and save money for when you eventually do move to Sweden.

I agree with Todd, I want to contribute something to the world. I want my life to make a difference! Even if you work, there's lots of opportunity to do that, and I hope you can take advantage of it.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

Bob

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I have a very good rate that I don't want to rise as I am happy with the service and don't wish to change companies.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
While one individual declaring bankruptcy doesn't raise anothers cc interest rates, lots of people doing it does indeed. Credit card companies imho have only themselves to blame for their losses to BK filers imho. If I actually accepted every cc I was offered and ran it up to the limit I'd be bankrupt again in short order.

yes, I said again. In the late 80s my then wife decided simultaneously to divorce me and quit her 35k a year job at the same time. long story short it was either file bk or have to pay off about 40k of what was mostly her debt and I wasn't capable of doing that.

When we went to bk court (none of our creditors showed) every other couple there had a brand new car because the court could not take away a car to pay debt if it was worth less than $900 or if you had less than $900 equity.
They also had run all their unsecured credit up to the limit on new stuff knowing they'd never have to pay for it.
We didn't do that. Maybe we were fools not to use the system but I felt bad enough about doing the bk in the first place, something to do with self-respect I guess.
I don't think Gary or anybody does a bk except as a last resort. I've never been unemployed in my life so I can't put myself in his shoes and the thought of being out of work for as long as he was truly terrifies me.

I was genuinely upset about the bk, had always prided myself on paying my debts, but felt this one was unavoidable. I told a few people at work and at a certain group I belonged to and was amazed at how many others had done the same, dealt with it, and got on with their lives.

I often fantasize about winning gazillions of dollars in the lottery (the only way I'll ever get gazillions) and the one thing I know is that I would literally die of boredom if I didn't have something productive to occupy my time--I'm not a workaholic, but I do need to have some kind of work to give structure to my life.

My fantasy is to buy a smallish business over on the central coast of California, around the Pismo Beach/San Simeon area and have a 1400 sq ft max beach house to rattle around in. The business would need to be small enough so I wouldn't lose money in a huge hurry since I'm not a good enough business type to actually make money. Something like a dvd rental place where I could have people hang around and I could have a couple of resident mutts wandering around the place, located near a good place to get clam chowder would be perfect.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
To put it bluntly: shit happens. We all makes mistakes, especially when it comes to money. No one is less than anyone else because they file and I don't think anyone should be ashamed of turning to that option. Bankruptcy is a tool that is available to everyone, unless of course your debt involves student loans, child support, and such that deal with the government. I've been paying child support for around 3-4 years now. That's also added to my debt because there's a good chunk of my money that comes out of pay checks or unemployment checks that could go towards avoiding debt.

At any rate, like Steve said some people do it and go on, hopefully a lot wiser in terms of credit cards. They can be a savior during emergencies and a devil when it comes to recklessness or greed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks