What's new

I SAID be QUIET in the theater! (1 Viewer)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher

Sorry Henry. Nothing funny about this here. Smiley face not appropriate.

I dislike talkers in a theater myself. But I would not shoot someone because someone was talking. And any human being getting shot, good or bad is not funny.

Hope you understand.

This is a sad event period.

WTF was the guy doing with a gun in the theater?!?!?!?!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

I stopped going to that theater over 10 years ago.
the theater has been trash since well before then.
the people are rude and ignorant.

I am surprised this hasn't happened in there before now.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
There are lots of things tragic and sad, and I feel for the family involved (thankfully, it appears no one was killed).

But while I feel for the family, I think sometimes we are overly politically correct about how we judge reactions.. I had about the same reaction as Henry - I feel bad for the family, but when I read the story, I shrugged a bit because it was one of the most ridiculous things I've read.

Sometimes tragic things happen that way. A few years ago, someone in Liberty was involved in a really messy domestic dispute in which a woman took a turkey carving knife to her husband over the dinner table in front of guests.

Now, that was a tragic story, but I laughed a bit too. The reason is because all of us see these things (like a shooting in the theater) as something we'd say as a lark, or think to ourselves "I wish that guy would shut up" but then we see someone do the absurd things that people think and you have to laugh at the guy's inner self-censorship bug.

Nothing wrong with that. I feel for the guy that got shot, I'll laugh at the moron who did the shooting.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Comedy and tragedy are not mutually exclusive. I do fail to see the funny in this one.

Well, at least until I got to "[the shooter] then sat down to watch the movie."

Now that's funny.

--
H

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
At least part of the reason for laughing is because, if you put that in a movie, there'd be a chorus of people right here telling you how it could never happen in real life.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
While this is an incredible tragedy and no one should take any offense to this extreme, I personally wouldn't mind a subliminal flash of that headline just before the main feature in every theater I go to.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
It's impossible to feel sorry for anyone in this situation...they all chose of their own free will to watch The Curious Case of Benjamin Button for crying out loud...that seems to be the most disturbing part of the story.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I don't find it overly politically correct for being disturbed by people making jokes about someone got shot for talking in a movie theater. Of course, no one here is rooting the shooter but I find some of the reactions disturbing because I think it shows a lack of concern about human life. Philadelphia (like many cities) has had a skyrocketing homicide rate in the past couple of years and a part of it is because people don't give a shit about anyone other than themselves.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Have you seen the trailers? It looks to be one of the most mind-numbingly stupid films to have ever been made.

No one sane condones mindless violence such as this, but I don't get the point of expressing moral condemnation over a few harmless jokes on a Home Theater Forum. If you want to make a difference than get involved on a community level, organize a neighborhood watch, or volunteer to be a security guard at your local 16-plex, but, it seems to me when you are in the After Hours Lounge...you could relax a bit....

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Relaxing is good, but it's always risky to assume that others see things the same way you do.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

Joe,
Do you always rush to judgement about the expression on emoticoms?

As it happens, I know a lot more about this story than was in the article.

The victim is an old friend from Philly and the wound was quite minor. What could have been a real tragedy was in the end, just real scary.

Thus, smiles of relief from many.

But, not you.

Your sobriety it much appreciated.

Would you mind, from here on out if I just send you a PM if I'm about to express something and I want to run it by....you?

Henri

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Maybe not politically correct, but I bet a lot of us feel a nice, smug little smiley face is a perfect response.

Hopefully at least a few of the idiots in the world who treat public theaters as their private living rooms may think twice about using some manners in the future.

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher

Maybe you should have just mentioned in your 1st post that it was an old friend, that way myself and a few others in this thread would have understood what you meant. ;)

I'm outta here.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I am pleased for you that you enjoyed this. I on the other hand will continue to pass.

Tom Kirk

Agent
Real Name
Tom Kirk

+1

Nothing of interest here.
Spike Jonze, Ron Howard and Steven Speilberg each were attached to this project at different times and moved on.
Eric Roth did the screenplay, from a short story by F. Scott Fitzgerald (some dead Hollywood writer).
David Fincher (who?) ended up directing famous hacks like Blanchett, Ormond and Pitt.
Boring.

htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Matt Gordon

Supporting Actor
I personally wasn't offended at all by the original post -- heck, I'll admit to entertaining all sorts of thoughts of doing absolutely unspeakable things to people who can't keep quiet in a theater. I'm sure I'm not the only one!

The shock -- and therefore the humor -- comes from the fact that someone actually did it!

But it's interesting that because mattCR knew someone involved in the situation, that it somehow makes his post okay.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks