What's new

I, Robot: direct HD vs. DVD comparisons... (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Alright, alright, guy's, relax you sold me on the idea. I'm man enough to admit to occasionally not thinking outside the box as it were. :)

I whole heartedly agree that it is vital to tell the studios that pro's are watching every single solitary move they make with regard to mastering to ensure optimal potential from any forthcoming format.

(extends hand) Freinds? ;)

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
This CRT has a DVI in?
Anyway, it does not fully resolve 1080i. The tapes have more detail than you can see on this monitor.
__________________________________________________ _______
1.- YES...

Cool. The good news is that coming SED monitors will have CRT like picture with full 1080p resolution and also HDMI in.

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

I watched Gladiator on HD-TNT the other night. The DVD has flaws which are underrated in my opinion (I don't understand how people consider this DVD reference quality.)

The HD version displayed alleviated these problems and proved that is wasn't source material problems.
__________________________________________________ ________

Theatrical release prints don't exhibit them pesky artifacts either. I know 'cuz I got a few odd reels (with French soundtrack; they came from a Canadian print)... :D

-THTS

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

The lossy digital HD-TV broadcast I get - certainly the least of all hi-def options - has shown me the benefits of 1080i over 480P to some extent, but I'm anticipating even greater resolution from a dedicated HD player and source. But before I make that plunge, I'll want to read plenty of comparisions just like this one. So, please, keep them coming!

Will be happy to oblige!... :)

-THTS

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

Frank,

How does D-VHS compare to HD broadcasts?
__________________________________________________ ____

You mean D-Theater? Well, is a real mixed bag, so I'd have to say...it all depends on the source material! Sorry if am not being specific enough.

Wait 'till you see the results of my comparison effort with True Lies, which I hope to post soon. Perhaps that help answer your question... :)

-THTS

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

(extends hand) Freinds? :)
__________________________________________________ __

Sure, so put it in there!... :emoji_thumbsup: :D

-THTS

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

good news is that coming SED monitors will have CRT like picture with full 1080p resolution and also HDMI in.

...outstanding! Real cool! Can't hardly wait to see that technology doing its thing... :emoji_thumbsup:

-THTS

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Surface-conduction Electron-emitter Display

This is a display technology that Canon has been working on based on their electron emitter technology.

Like a CRT, SED uses a glass plate mounted with electron emitters. Each emmitter represents a single pixel. The next layer is a glass substrate with a fluorescent surface. Between the two glass plates is a vacuum.

The critical design feature though is an ultra thin gap made from ultrafine-particle film between the two electric poles. Electrons are emitted from one side of the gap when 16 to 18 volts of electricity are applied. Some of these electrons are scattered at the other side of the gap and accelerated by the voltage applied between the glass plates, and they collide with the fluorescent-coated glass plate, causing light to be emitted.

Here is what Canon says about SED:
Toshiba had an invitation only demo of their SED prototype at CES, and hopes to release a 50" model before Christmas.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Ah yes...I remember talk on AVS about how these new "tubes" could possibly replace traditional CRT guns in projectors and other displays (at least folks were theorizing about it)...

very interesting...

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

Toshiba had an invitation only demo of their SED prototype at CES, and hopes to release a 50" model before Christmas.

Were you invited? If so, did you get to see the technology at work?

I am eagerly awaiting to see where this video display technology lead us to in the future, particularly in the area of front projection displaying where much larger images than 50"-70" are the rigour... :emoji_thumbsup:

-THTS

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
It's a good idea, but the microgun CRT [I had not heard the SED name before] will suffer more from burn-in than plasma ever has. I hope to find out what kind of solution is developed to this problem.

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

It's a good idea, but the microgun CRT [I had not heard the SED name before] will suffer more from burn-in than plasma ever has. I hope to find out what kind of solution is developed to this problem.

Yep...that is and has been CRT's and plasma displays' primary weakness all along.

Too bad, but I hope they find ways to mitigate the problem. The technology seems so promising and potentially much more affordable than other current ones that merits all the effort needed to arrive to a happy conclusion...

-THTS

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
But on AVS they were saying that this new technology will have *less* of an issue with burn-in than traditional CRT...that was one of it's key advantages.

???

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
It's possible. I am thinking mostly of the high duty cycle -- in ordinary CRTs, the duty cycle of each individual phosphor granule is something like 0.000003%, whereas on these SEDs the duty cycle would be near 100%. On the other hand they might -- just might -- be able to use the longer "on" time to their advantage by lowering the final-anode voltage. The catch is the nonlinear variation of luminance with bombardment voltage: roughly, for each x10 decrease in the voltage the beam current must increase x100 to maintain the same brightness levels. If that's what they are doing, these mothers are going to be Power Hungry.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
If they could maintain the final-anode voltage at its proper high value while keeping the peak beam current somewhere below the average current of the usual system, it might work; but I have to recall that most of the light emission in current CRTs is phosphorescent [delayed] rather than fluorescent [prompt]. These SEDs may suffer from "comet-tailing" whatever other virtues they may have, and I expect that [just as with LEDs] the constant-on low-current approach is going to be significantly less effective and generate significantly shorter lifetimes than pulsed high-current technique.
The "Quantum Vision" CRT system is intriguing. I would not be surprised if it worked, though I am dubious about the cost. If it does, it would be as important an advance as the aluminised screen. The increase in small-area contrast [effective resolution] would alone be a major advance, although the increased directivity is really a disadvantage in many ways; the wide viewing angle being a major selling point of the traditional CRT. I suppose if it is used for projection the point is mostly moot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks