What's new

I quit my job today (1 Viewer)

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
I've quit a couple jobs...

1- diagnostic tech for Nokia. The job was nice and the money was decent, but for some reason I was singled out for a shit-storm by my supervisor, even though I had the highest successful repair rate of any of our techs. I absolutely cannot stand office politics, and it was beyond me why this person wouldn't just stay off my back and let me perform my job.

2- radial technician for Continental Tire. I'd been employed there since fall of 2000, and just quit a few months ago. My plant had the absolute worst labor relations I'd ever seen. It seemed that management's primary method of motivation was to make us feel lucky that they even let us in the door to work. There were some serious rumors about a plant closure going around, and I was extremely pissed about being jacked-around with regards to my job duties. I asked for a voluntary layoff, which meant I was eligible for UI and paid schooling through the state, and they accepted it. About a couple weeks after I had returned to school, I received a recall notice in the mail. It was very satisfying to call up the supervisor with whom I was feuding, and tell him to go to hell :)

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor
I quit a job by tossing my keys to the office on the desk and saying, "I've lost the edge."

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

My co-worker got it but the boss didn't.

Stacey

Stunt Coordinator

That is soooo true! I just LOVE it when companies say, "oh we'll give you a few bucks in your hand in liu of 2 weeks notice". So now your out on the street right away with no clue what to do. Better to line up a few options ,then quit and throw them a few bucks as you leave in liu of 2-weeks notice. :D

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint

I would!!! In today's crappy economy, I'm doing that for 22k. Before Nov. 2000, I was working 40+ for almost 40k and having a good time of it.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
I'm sure there are a lot of people wanting to make 60k but entry-/midlevel engineers? That was the going rate 5 years ago for a fresh college grad, and it was for the standard 40h a week.

As a new home owner, I couldn't imagine quitting my job when you have $1500 each month in mortgage (luckily all else is paid for). I would have to have something else already planned. If they lay me off, 8 years severance package would last a few months before I would need a new job.

Last year, if they would have laid me off it would have been goodbye USA. Now with a green card I don't have to worry about that anymore.

Seth_L

Screenwriter

Uh...

60k is not the salary for a straight out of college electrical or mechanical engineer. I don't know of anyone who I graduated with who made 60k when I graduated in 2001. In 2000 I might believe that, but not since the tech bubble burst.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
when I was a ME student the expected pay for a recent grad was around 35k.. this was back in 96.

Scott Tucker

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry about the 60k comment. I guess it came out the wrong way. I didn't mean to imply that 60k a year wasn't a deceant wage. It just isn't enough for me to put up with whinning customers on a retail floor, and spend every waking hour at work instead of at home with family. Actually, the amount is irrelavant. I wouldn't do retail again if i was making 160k/year.
Scott

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
I guess it's good to be in SW field then and not in my major field (robotics/mechanical). I remember guys coming in from college to a $55k yearly salary with bonuses and quite nice benefits back in '99. Bonuses vary depending on the year and how well projects do but usually add 15-25% to yearly salary.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Since this summer, I've been currently fed-up with the people at my job. It also doesn't help that I just started college, so I'm getting stress from both work and college. It's not the job that I hate (in fact, I enjoy my job); it's just the people that get on my last nerve.

To sum the people up.
1. The boss is a Born Again Christian who believes he has to push his conservative beliefs on others. We get e-mails and print-outs with our pay checks all the time promoting his (or partner in crime's) church and Republican political stance. I do not care what religion or political party you're apart of, we're all the same, but don't push it on others who don't feel the same. But ironically, two six-figure lawsuits have come out of this, and why he hasn't stopped is still beyond me.
2. I have a conflict of interests with a member of the IT department. It might be for the fact I told a few of the General Managers at the company that he was sleeping with the owner's sixteen year old daughter (it was the truth and the man is married and in his thirties) and that the owner almost fired him (for some odd reason, he was able to stay on).
3. Since I have the conflict of interests with said member of the IT department, the entire IT department has a problem with me.

So a few weeks ago, I said enough is enough, and I put in my two weeks notice. Since I'm one of the most hardworking employees there, they pleaded with me to stay. They didn't want to offer me anything, so I told them that I did not want to work for this company anymore.

That completely changed when the CFO of the company came up to me and offered a $2.00 an hour raise, plus the ability to get another $1.00 raise at the end of the year. For a poor college student, the ability to make over $11.00 an hour is a great thing. So I stayed and that was that.

Now I have money to pay for college!

I take that back, I have scholarships.

So now I have the money to spend on more DVDs!

:D

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
As far as entry level engineers...only one out of my 4 friends managed to get a job...one ME, one EE, one Geological E, and a Comp Sci. The Geological E got a job only a few states away (Minnesota). No one else has yet gotten an entry level job. They all work "other" jobs for for like $7-$12 (2 moved to southern CA and didn't do a lot better). Not sure how hard they are looking anymore, though.

Here, we have an interesting situation. I'm a 'contractor' for a 'temp' agency. Notice the Austin Powers air-quotes - I've been here for 4 years doing the same job as many 'real' employees - just for a lot less money. The real employees have been being phased out over the years.

A job opened up for $6-$8 better than our current pay (that's like a 50% raise), within our current 'temp' agency, at the same company, that we are qualified for ( IT security admin - the prereqs are multiple old system familiarity - we do mainframe and/or VMS). We weren't allowed to go to it because "they couldn't afford to lose us" where we are at. They are instead hiring folks off the street less qualified. Nice growth opportunities. If we didn't work here already we could get a better job. One of my coworkers blatantly said "well then I could quit and get hired in the new job" and the company admin (not 'our' admin) said basically "you could take that chance" with the "I'll make a couple of calls to make sure you never get hired over there" tone in his voice.

It's nice that companies reward their loyal employees.

Scott Tucker

Stunt Coordinator

Go get a job at Soundtrak and you too can make 60k a year or more. All you have to do is put up with crappy hours and whinning customers.
Scott

Jason_Els

Screenwriter

I work 1pm to midnight, including Sunday and most holidays. I take phone calls from whining customers. I don't make nearly that much and I live in a high-priced area of the state of New York. Sign me up too!

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Scott I really think that everyone ought to be happy in their job. For sure retail is not for you and just be glad you found that out soon.

But 55 hours a week is not crappy (and as you have already acknowledged) $60k is not bad money.. Good luck finding a job that does not have either bosses or customers who don’t complain.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks