What's new

i orange habanero peppers that i grew, now what do i do with them? (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
ok, so i have a bunch of these orange habaneros.
i cut a couple up and just from that my eyes were wATERing and fingers burning.

besides that, what do i do with them?

i just notice the title is missing a word.
it should read "i have habanero...."

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Eat and enjoy! They are a good marinate ingredient since they have a slightly fruity flavor (habanero shrimp... mmmm). You could also make salsa or hot sauce. I like the following:

- carrots
- habaneros
- garlic
- salt

Grind all of these ingredients up to taste. It makes for a sweet tasting sauce.

Another favorite of mine is habanero brownies. Get a brownie recipie that has lots of fudge chunks (i.e. very sweet). The taste will be sweet, followed by a nice heat toward the end. Chocolate chip cookies are also good with habaneros in the mix.

You should get some latex gloves to do the cutting.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Just make sure you wash your hands with soap before touching your face and, especially, near your eyes.

Chopped up small they can be tossed into chili....or make great seasoning for kung pao chicken. :emoji_thumbsup:

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
Excellent also if you put them in some vinegar, and then use the vinegar on greens or salads for extra pep. Watch out for the seeds though, those things are HOT. Also if you cook with chiles, make sure you ventilate well or you'll be in a world of hurt :).

and a second on the gloves. in fact, you might want to wash your hands every time you even put the sauce/whatnot on food, just in case some gets on your fingers. Habanero in the eye hurts bad.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Funny, I just made some chili today, used two habenaros, two anaheim and 3T of chili powder (among other spices) to flavour 1 lb of pork and 5 lb of tomatoes. I did roast the peppers beforehand, and I did remove the seeds--so either my extensive preparations did the trick or perhaps safeway was selling duds.

But wear gloves when preparing them.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
You can also pickle, then jar them. Heat up a nice brine, load op the jar with peppers, fill up with the brine, seal the jar and let it sit for 6 months to a year. They look pretty and when they are ready - have lots of fluids nearby.

A friend of mine did this with his - we opened a jar up a bit too early. I had a bite of one and I swear it hurt so bad it temporarily affected my hearing! mmmmmmmm

John Alvarez

Screenwriter

My Mother in law does this and adds small pickles, small onions, bell peppers etc...when you want to add flavor to some Arro con frijoles negro Y picadillo you just add some juice and cut up some of the veggies.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Not to mention before using the rest room and touching...well you know. Speaking from experience here (I still have nightmares about it). :angry:

My suggestion for the habeneros - Get some allspice and jerk some pork (Sorry, I couldn't resist).

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
Wear gloves when working with hot peppers - do not think that washing will remove the oils. It can stay on your skin for DAYS.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Threads about hot peppers make me drool.

Is that a bad thing?

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

I hear you brother. I remember preparing a particularly hot chilli, going to the bathroom, then sitting down to watch a James Bond film on the TV. At first I had a panic about my sexuality - I wondered why Roger Moore was giving me a warm glow somewhere that Roger Moore hadn't previously affected me. Then the warm glow got hotter and hotter ...

The moral of this tale is - when dealing with chillis, wash before as well as after going to the bathroom.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks