What's new

I Need To Get A New VCR Right Away (1 Viewer)

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
After nearly two months of nonsense, I got the JVC 5901 for cheap ($99 NEW) at MacMall of all places. There are some quirks I'm not crazy about, but they're mostly cosmetic. I'm looking forward to giving the machine a workout this weekend! Thanks for all your help, folks!

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Mark, I have the exact same JVC S-VHS VCR you just bought and love it. I screened an copy of "Kahrtoum" on it a couple of weeks ago and I was astounded at the playback quality of the machine on such an old tape. I record a lot of shows off the Sci-Fi channel, especially on Saturday nights, and have been impressed with the recordings I have made which are nearly indistinguishable from the original broadcast. I think you will be happy with your choice. The playback of those recordings on my Zenith DVD/VCR combo unit, which has Quasi S-VHS playback is not nearly as nice as on the JVC, but is equal to or ever so slightly better than what you would expect from a plain old VHS deck.:)

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Good to know Chuck! My "two months of nonsense" obviously doesn't refer to this thread -- or the old ones which I consulted (thanks, Rachael, for your info), but rather in trying to find a decent VCR at an acceptable price. $400 for a VCR (the JVC 99xx series) is way too high and I never found any of them on eBay or anything. Build quality on the 5901 is pretty lean, but it's better than some of the other models I checked out at Good Guys, etc., all of which felt like thse hollow plastic demos you see at IKEA.

I first checked out the VCR with an old EP-speed Mystery Science Theater 3000 tape that was made over 10 years ago and it looked much better than I expected.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Di nada Mark!:) Myself, I've gotten into D-VHS recording lately. $400 does seem too much for a 9xxx series VCR when I paid less than that for one of my 2 D-VHS machines, JVC 3000. The way they stripped features from these latest models, it does make it hard to be enthusiastic about acctually purchasing one.

My 9500 & 9800 have served me well though. Actually, I'm amazed the 9500 stille works. I've tried my best to run it into the ground using it for video editing. I'm pleasantly suprised.

I've adopted D-VHS for my TV recording lately. It's more flexible and it records the aspect ratio whatever it is. The colour smokes S-VHS. So far I'm doing 480i stuff off my hi-def channels and it looks really fine. The only downside is audio is stereo. I hope to get a firewire out on a box for the 1080i and 5.1 recording eventually. I'm really taken back how good the 480i recording is so far. I say so far, because I've only had the hi-def box for 10 days, so far!

At this point in time, it seems to me, if one's gonna spend much money on a VCR, one ought to get the flexibility of D-VHS. I've just been drifting to that conclusion lately I suppose. Best wishes!:)

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I was looking for an S-VHS deck to replace the $1000 Toshiba one I bought 10 years ago that just died. I ordered the 5901U from Mac Mall. Thanks for the heads up!

Mike

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I have a 7800 I bought three years ago and its ok but the frickin tuner died! I'd like to fix it or replace it, but its hardly worth spending money on it. I was amazed at how good standard ntsc TV looks from another cheapo vcr through my iScan and on my AE100, so its such a joke that the tuner in the JVC is dead. cheap cheap cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks