What's new

I need some good "chillin" music! (1 Viewer)

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
Thanks Andrew for mentioning Mike Oldfield. I didn't know about his new disc. I'm looking forward to it.

edit: found 'Tr3s Lunas' at FutureShop, yay

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
Any of the compilations by the Groove Collective.
Especially "Declassified". My favorite track is
the Lenon/McCartney remake of "Martha My Dear."

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
check out out 'Mezzanine' by Massive Attack.
Doh! Can't believe I didn't mention Massive Attack. One of my favorite chillin songs is called, I think, Rising Son(Sun). I have it on my other computer and keep that one on repeat!

Thanks for the other recommendations guys! Keep'em coming!

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
Stuff from the top of my head in no particular order:

Café del Mar - any of the samplers
Chicane - any
Mike Oldfield - Songs of Distant Earth
Ridge Racer Type 4 - Game Soundtrack (Jap. import)
Wipeout - Playstation CD (just skip track 1)

I also second Sweetback!

-Christian

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Songs of a Distant Earth is absolutely amazing. The video is on an animation compilation, which encouraged me to buy the album. The album further encouraged me to get the Arthur Clark book. SoaDE is one of the best albums I've heard period.

Has anyone got Hotel Costes? I know there are multiple volumes, but I'm looking at picking up the one with the high heeled foot on the cover. At $25 for a single CD, it's a bit steep on a hunch...

BorisM

Stunt Coordinator
If you are into Massive Attack Mezzanine - then you should definitely enjoy Big Calm by Morcheeba. At the same time, if you enjoy something just a little more trippy, then DJ Shadow's Endtroducing is a true classic. Both are highly recommended

Pamela

Supporting Actor
Hows about Sigur Ros-Ágætis Byrjun. An etheral Icelandic band. Very atmospheric. Just don't try to decipher the lyrics.

Key words taken from All Music Guide:
Ambitious, Dramatic, Lush, Ethereal, Precious, Ominous, Complex, Wintry, Laid-Back/Mellow, Theatrical, Elegant, Druggy, Soothing

Sounds like "Chillin'" music to me!

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
OK, here is a real quick list of some of my favorites; a proper attempt would take hours...

First of all, you need:

At least one Serve Chilled or Winter Chill compilation set from the Hed Kandi label. This will immediately get you buying a pile of albums by the people on it no doubt.

Everything Massive Attack have ever done. Start with the brilliant Mezzanine, but Blue Lines, Protection and No Protection (a complete rework of Protection by the Mad Professor) rule as well. Then hunt down the rare complete singles collection box just to be sure.

Everything Portishead have ever done. So thats Numb, Portishead and the live PNYC. For bonus points, get that in the new DVD version; its a lot longer and has all the videos for the singles as well.

A random selection of Brian Eno. Definite must haves include 'Apollo: Atmospheres & Soundtracks' which is the beautiful score for 'For All Mankind', and 'Laraaji: Day Of Radiance' - Ambient No.3 is a stunning work, in which a sitar motif is endlessly reworked and changed over the course of the album, like some sort of Steve Reich variant.

Elsewhere, Mono's 'Formica Blues' is either brilliant laid-back grooving or a discraceful trampling over the work of Roy Budd. Speaking of whom, you need his Get Carter score. Now. Finally for now, Royskopp's 'Melody A.M.' is lovely, and includes the coolest 2001 sample use ever (sampling the bizarre choral noise that accompanies the Monolith, rather than using a tired HAL quote).

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
Lewis,
Mike Oldfield's latest is indeed called "Tr3s Lunas" (number 3 instead of an 'e', though according to the website in the edit below, it contains a track called "tres lunas").
See the Album cover
Best Buy has it listed as "Tres Lunas" to be released June 18, 2002.
edit: Check out the Link Removed with music samples, video, and more.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I also quite like Hooverphonic. Particularly Blue Wonder Power Milk.

The single for Mike O's new album sounds & looks great. I would love to have a video compilation, what few he does always look great.

Jody C Robins

Stunt Coordinator
Most of Radiohead's CDs would fit the bill.

And I totally disagree with the previous posters who think 311's best album is Transistor. My opinion is that it is, by far, their worst. 311 is best when putting out their rock/rap/reggae/etc stuff (Music, Grassroots), not hippie/stoner/trippy music to smoke to.

Aaron Cooke

Second Unit
If you can find it, get the first album by Spain called The Blue Moods of Spain. It is my favorite somber/relaxing album of all time.

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
try the barclay james harvest[remastered]cd's their 1st album and once again.they're very much in the moody blues mode musically.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hmmm...don't think i can really chill to the crystal method. :)
one of my favorite chill-out albums is called (i think) "The Chillout Album". it's one of those compilation deals you get at Virgin records. it's a 2-cd set. i think they released a vol 2, but i like the first one. every song on that thing is good...it's a great sampler. very highly recommended.
other artists i like:
hooverphonic - any album
dead can dance - any album (best of is a good compromise)
saint etienne - highly recommended, especially foxbase alpha
this mortal coil - very highly recommended (get all the albums)
chicane -
moby - especially his latest
enigma - the first album
deep forest - the first album
paul oakenfold
the orb
tfsol (the future sound of london)
blah blah blah....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks